hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Iceland II the hotter crappier version.
454294738_1047824393616130_1560807449955311565_n.jpg

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Wait, wasn't all that proven to be a BS fabricated joke? Or is that the point that shit-posting can become some viral truth related to a political candidate and affect their image in an election?
The f***? They turned off the quantum and the alternate dimension facts for these elections? I want my candidates to be men of character throughout the multiverse. And how come Kamala gets to be black and Indian if this is the case?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Wait, wasn't all that proven to be a BS fabricated joke? Or is that the point that shit-posting can become some viral truth related to a political candidate and affect their image in an election?
1723053670100.png

It all started when said Twitter user posted the above tweet, supposedly from Vance's book. It spread like wildfire, with the truth of the claim yet unknown, due to the relative newness of Vance and his book into the spotlight.

But when it really took off was when the Associated Press published an article entitled "No, JD Vance did not have sex with a couch". An article they then had to RETRACT, because while they scoured his book and didn't find the above (obviously), they couldn't definitively prove that he didn't have sex with a couch, only that he never wrote about it.

Since then, Vance has done and said many strange things, which only provided more fuel to the supposed rumor. But yesterday took it to a different level, when Tim Walz, Harris's new VP, went and did this:

Thus, the original tweet has now reached legendary levels of shit posting.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
... or to pretend they believe is true.

Yeah, I mean, everyone at this point knows the Vance thing is false. But it's very funny that it's apparently influencing his campaign, which in turn, causes the story to be maintained.

As someone put it, "It's objectively hilarious that a tweet from a small Twitter account has made it so a potential VP cannot be photographed with a couch in frame for the rest of his career"

It's like if that Corey Perry/Bedard's mom story maintained steam and McDavid referenced it while accepting an award.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Yeah, I mean, everyone at this point knows the Vance thing is false. But it's very funny that it's apparently influencing his campaign, which in turn, causes the story to be maintained.

As someone put it, "It's objectively hilarious that a tweet from a small Twitter account has made it so a potential VP cannot be photographed with a couch in frame for the rest of his career"

It's like if that Corey Perry/Bedard's mom story maintained steam and McDavid referenced it while accepting an award.
Kinda like Biden with stairs...except that one's actually true! :naughty:

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Kinda like Biden with stairs...except that one's actually true! :naughty:

I mean, sure, but “80-year-old with dementia tends to fall down stairs” doesn’t hit as well as “Yale graduate f***ed a couch”. It does seem like some of the “terminally online” on the right are trying to spread similar disinformation about Walz, but it’s also failing to gain the reach it needs to sustain itself.

Though if a certain Mango Mussolini boosted those rumors (and he certainly would be the one to do so), it may find legs.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I'm pretty sure that's been American politics for quite some time. The truth matters, but in politics, it seems to matter less than what you can get the public to believe is true.
Yup, the old saw of "the big lie" theory - if you repeat a lie enough times the public writ large will believe it's true. And also, "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth puts on its shoes in the morning" - often mis-attributed to Mark Twain and Winston Churchill (the most likely source was a version of the above quote from Jonathan Swift).
If JD Vance had half a personality, he'd run with it the same way Walz did, using a couch comment/metaphor in every speech.

Something like: "Sorry I'm late to get on the stage, but I was admiring the beautiful couch backstage and....well, you know the rest." - and then just smile.

Or even better yet, put some castors on a couch and have stagehands push it out on stage with him sitting on it.

That's the way to own your lying detractors....

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yup, the old saw of "the big lie" theory - if you repeat a lie enough times the public writ large will believe it's true. And also, "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth puts on its shoes in the morning" - often mis-attributed to Mark Twain and Winston Churchill (the most likely source was a version of the above quote from Jonathan Swift).

I prefer the EB White quote:

“A despot doesn’t fear eloquent writers preaching freedom - he fears a drunken poet may crack a joke that takes hold.”

That appears to be the case re:Vance

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I prefer the EB White quote:

“A despot doesn’t fear eloquent writers preaching freedom - he fears a drunken poet may crack a joke that takes hold.”

That appears to be the case re:Vance
Tina Fey completely ruined Sarah Palin with her SNL skits since some believed it was things that Palin said but it was Tina.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad