Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
IMG_9165.jpeg

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
disney has taken one very large L lately with testing the money spending capabilities of star wars fans but the rest of their crap has done okay.
yeah, say what you will, but I'd be willing to bet that Apple's Vision Pro is the launch of what will prove to be a wildly successful new spatial computing platform. In 2-3 years, you'll be able to get one for $899 and that will be that. f*** you Mark Zuckerberg.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
yeah, say what you will, but I'd be willing to bet that Apple's Vision Pro is the launch of what will prove to be a wildly successful new spatial computing platform. In 2-3 years, you'll be able to get one for $899 and that will be that. f*** you Mark Zuckerberg.
I’m going to guess that those things will always be very niche until they look like regular glasses.

As far as I’m concerned, I want less screens in my life, not more, so there needs to be a compelling reason for me to look like I forgot to take my ski mask off.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I’m going to guess that those things will always be very niche until they look like regular glasses.

As far as I’m concerned, I want less screens in my life, not more, so there needs to be a compelling reason for me to look like I forgot to take my ski mask off.
There will be.

I have an Oculus, and the single biggest problem with it is the fact that you're essentially blind when you have it on. The "mixed reality with option of full virtual reality" is the right approach, has many more applications, and most importantly, will not require the user to remove the apparatus to function normally.

All the "virtual desktop productivity" apps that Oculus has been pushing fail for that exact reason.

This is why Apple is Apple. Other companies solve problems well, but within their technical limitations; Apple focuses like a laser on the actual customer needs, and they keep hammering away at those technical limitations until the customer use case is actually achieved.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
This is why Apple is Apple. Other companies solve problems well, but within their technical limitations; Apple focuses like a laser on the actual customer needs, and they keep hammering away at those technical limitations until the customer use case is actually achieved.
I'm... pretty sure it wasn't a customer need that you can't make ringtones of your owned music but need to buy the same song as a ringtone separately from iTunes Store.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I'm... pretty sure it wasn't a customer need that you can't make ringtones of your owned music but need to buy the same song as a ringtone separately from iTunes Store.
There's a difference between creating a market and exploiting a market. Apple does a lot of the latter, sure, but only because they're in a position to do so because of their excellence at the former.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
There will be.

I have an Oculus, and the single biggest problem with it is the fact that you're essentially blind when you have it on. The "mixed reality with option of full virtual reality" is the right approach, has many more applications, and most importantly, will not require the user to remove the apparatus to function normally.

All the "virtual desktop productivity" apps that Oculus has been pushing fail for that exact reason.

I will say Apple is generally very good at nearly perfecting technologies that other companies pioneered years prior. Like, if you don't want the latest tech but do want it functioning extremely well, go Apple. Their biggest problem is charging a premium higher price for perfected tech from 2-3 years ago

Reactions: Unsustainable

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I will say Apple is generally very good at nearly perfecting technologies that other companies pioneered years prior. Like, if you don't want the latest tech but do want it functioning extremely well, go Apple. Their biggest problem is charging a premium higher price for perfected tech from 2-3 years ago

That's not their biggest problem. That's your biggest problem. If it were actually a problem, people wouldn't pay that premium. But people do. Why?

Because there's a difference between a technology and a product.

The Palm Pilot was great technology. The One Laptop per Child project was great technology. The Newton was great technology.

The iPhone is a great product. And not only is it a great product, it essentially created the smart phone category as we know it.

I spent my entire career watching the open source community create great technologies, and then they'd get frustrated as companies like Apple and Amazon turned those great technologies into great products.

The difference is obsessive customer focus, and the culture that focus creates in a company.

It was supposed to be the year of the Linux Desktop twenty years ago, and it never happened, because neither Red Hat nor anyone else could figure out how to turn GNOME or KDE into what customers actually wanted -- and in the meantime, almost every developer picked up a MacBook, because they could get all the open source programming tools, and also listen to their music without having to find an ffmpeg decoder from some German package repository.

Figure out what the customer actually wants, and then make it. It's deceptive in its simplicity, but it's really hard in practice, because it means not compromising and continuing to push the technology until it does what people actually want.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
There's a difference between creating a market and exploiting a market. Apple does a lot of the latter, sure, but only because they're in a position to do so because of their excellence at the former.
As a recovering former Mac user it did kind of frustrate me back in the day that Apple had an Apple Way of doing thing that they had honed into close perfection. Usually the Apple Way included you throwing your consumer money at expensive Apple-branded peripherals and also any third parties paying their tithes to Apple for being accessable to you.

If the Apple Way was how you wanted to do your things, you were in for a treat, but if you wanted to do things differently, ha, then you're were essentially having to seek creaky ways to break out from the golden cage Apple had made for you. I would guess the big part why people talked of the Apple Reality Distorting Field was that occasionally discussing with an Apple fan felt like talking with someone with a severe Stockholm Syndrome.

We may or may not have a failed Time Capsule somewhere in the house.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad