Prospect Info: Melvin Fernstrom (RW - Sweden-Jr.) | 93rd Overall 2024 Draft

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Feb 20, 2013
He didn't play much for Orebro's SHL team last year, and I wasn't specifically paying attention to him but Fernstrom was actually noticeable while watching some of Lekkerimaki's games late in the season and in the playoffs. The main thing was that for an 18 year old he didn't look out of place with respect to speed or strength. It will be very interesting to see what he looks like in more SHL games next year.

You can bet that Canucks scouts watched these same games and came away impressed.

Reactions: Lindgren

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Not necessarily, the CHL import draft is July 3rds. Here’s hoping he pulls an Alriksson assuming someone drafts him
I meant we went back to drafting a player from Swedish junior league. We’ve been doing that a lot since Harvey took over.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
He didn't play much for Orebro's SHL team last year, and I wasn't specifically paying attention to him but Fernstrom was actually noticeable while watching some of Lekkerimaki's games late in the season and in the playoffs. The main thing was that for an 18 year old he didn't look out of place with respect to speed or strength. It will be very interesting to see what he looks like in more SHL games next year.

You can bet that Canucks scouts watched these same games and came away impressed.
I saw all 7 of the games he played in for Sweden at the u18s. I oddly had the same feeling as I had when I watched Hunter Brzustewicz play in his draft year. There were some not so great parts of his game but it was just so hard to ignore him out there.

I hope that he comes over to NA and plays here, I think he would have a much better chance at success than playing 6 minutes a night in the SHL or playing in Swedish Jr again.

Reactions: Hodgy

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
I saw all 7 of the games he played in for Sweden at the u18s. I oddly had the same feeling as I had when I watched Hunter Brzustewicz play in his draft year. There were some not so great parts of his game but it was just so hard to ignore him out there.

I hope that he comes over to NA and plays here, I think he would have a much better chance at success than playing 6 minutes a night in the SHL or playing in Swedish Jr again.
He's under contract with Örebro until 25/26, so it's NHL/SHL until then.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Probably best not to come to NA to play in the A if you are not physically ready. As for the CHL, really kind of depends on which club owns their rights.

That is the reality of the NHL draft vs MLB which is heavy on their minor league system as well. They get their kids into their system within a year I believe or they lose the rights to the kid. NHL, you can have the player play somewhere else, not under your watch for another 3-4 seasons.

Not just the league, but the club the kids are with.

Ad

Ad

Ad