Prospect Info: Melvin Fernstrom (RW - Sweden-Jr.) | 93rd Overall 2024 Draft

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Interesting, looks like an F3 type player, look forward to watching him in some games/shift by shifts. I think these are the type of forwards you can find a bit later in the draft; sort of the defensive defenseman of offensive players because most of their work happens off the puck. The skillset doesn't jump out of the screen at you and if they don't have good linemates to carry the mail, they don't have as much offensive impact.

His name isn’t cool so I don’t like the pick
What isn't cool about the inevitable nickname "Fernie?"

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I really want to like a Melvin pick. Like, that guy is clearly gonna be good because lol Melvin.

A small skilled guy who can't skate so good? That's a tough sell. But i don't think that's necessarily what they got here.

Limited exposure, basically just going off the tourneys, but to me...he seems pretty "quick" and agile, just not "fast". Hoggy-like. Turns on a dime and jumps guys in a phonebooth. Just can't really cover huge amounts of ice that easily. Similar-ish game too. Not as pesky, but something like a Hoglander-Vrbata mix.

93rd pick? Seems like a reasonable enough gamble. He's clearly got those "goal scoring instincts" that you can't really teach. No idea if the rest of his game will ever be enough, but it's not a bad bet.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Genuinely curious if the headphones are for anti-stimulation purposes? I have a son with autism and he often needs that kind of thing. It's just a picture, of course, and it doesn't tell us anything, but he doesn't look super comfortable. Everything in his scouting report suggests he takes a different approach as well. Fascinating.
Man I'm really tired after work here but I thought that was the poster named Melvin....lol

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
When I was younger and still had dreams and hopes I would be following these type of prospects very closely, from games and stat tracking. Now as adult life and reality have crept in, I would only check in during training camp. To many prospects that didn’t make it to even care about these lates picks.

Reactions: TruKnyte

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
When I was younger and still had dreams and hopes I would be following these type of prospects very closely, from games and stat tracking. Now as adult life and reality have crept in, I would only check in during training camp. To many prospects that didn’t make it to even care about these lates picks.
95% of these prospects don't amount to anything in the NHL.

Reactions: quat

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
I really want to like a Melvin pick. Like, that guy is clearly gonna be good because lol Melvin.

A small skilled guy who can't skate so good? That's a tough sell. But i don't think that's necessarily what they got here.

Limited exposure, basically just going off the tourneys, but to me...he seems pretty "quick" and agile, just not "fast". Hoggy-like. Turns on a dime and jumps guys in a phonebooth. Just can't really cover huge amounts of ice that easily. Similar-ish game too. Not as pesky, but something like a Hoglander-Vrbata mix.

93rd pick? Seems like a reasonable enough gamble. He's clearly got those "goal scoring instincts" that you can't really teach. No idea if the rest of his game will ever be enough, but it's not a bad bet.
6 ft 1 185 is small for an 18 year old? Cam Neely was thst height and weight when drafted out of Portland.

As for a Melvin, I'd have taken a flyer on Melvin Uddal. But that's just me.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Talented player but not sure about taking a slow skill winger this early.

Listening to Canucks and his own comments, I wonder if he’s one of those players where we lack the behind-the-scenes info on him. Like he’s really driven and has already identified what needs to be fixed. Something like that. Supposedly this was something they loved about Mynio too.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
For context, the last time Canucks didn't have either a first or second round draft picks was 2020. And their picks that year were Joni Jurmo; Jackson Kunz; Jacob Truscott; Dimitri Zlodeyev and Viktor Persson.

Not a single guy has played a single NHL game; and most of them didn't even earn a contract. Zlodeyev was the only guy who played in Abbotsford last season on an AHL contract.

So the opinions on the five guys they selected this year have to be tempered with reality. If even three of them eventually make their way to Abbotsford on two-way NHL ELC's, then the draft will probably be considered a 'success'.

That just the reality of the draft between Rounds 3-7.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
For context, the last time Canucks didn't have either a first or second round draft picks was 2020. And their picks that year were Joni Jurmo; Jackson Kunz; Jacob Truscott; Dimitri Zlodeyev and Viktor Persson.

Not a single guy has played a single NHL game; and most of them didn't even earn a contract. Zlodeyev was the only guy who played in Abbotsford last season on an AHL contract.

So the opinions on the five guys they selected this year have to be tempered with reality. If even three of them eventually make their way to Abbotsford on two-way NHL ELC's, then the draft will probably be considered a 'success'.

Why bring up what the last management group did? They got fired for a reason no?

This iteration of Canucks mgmt has drafted Hunter Brzustewicz, Mynio and DPetey in the 3rd for instance. All showing excellent promise for 3rd round defenseman so far.

Yah we get that the turkeys in charge 4 years ago shit the bed...got it...thanks.

How about...what do you think about the players they drafted

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

I think we’ll see how good we are at developing with this new management group.
Benning and Weisbrod didn’t even try.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Back to Swedish Junior leagues we go. I normally don't like this type of player but this looks like a terrible draft. Seems like we're already in the weeds by the time this pick came along. Given the backdrop, this is a very reasonable pick and hence a good pick IMO.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Back to Swedish Junior leagues we go. I normally don't like this type of player but this looks like a terrible draft. Seems like we're already in the weeds by the time this pick came along. Given the backdrop, this is a very reasonable pick and hence a good pick IMO.

Not necessarily, the CHL import draft is July 3rds. Here’s hoping he pulls an Alriksson assuming someone drafts him

Reactions: Lindgren

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad