McDavid promotion and the hatred from fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Iceland II the hotter crappier version.
The hate he's going to get is gonna be unreal when he does what Gretzky lacked the balls to do, come back home and win a cup for #CanadasTeam.
F-nHtvIWMAA40cL.jpg
#GoLeafsGo
You mean Vegas. :sarcasm:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
People were still calling him out for lack of leadership and playoff performance before this year's playoff, when he had gone close to 2P/G in the previous two. Some are just arguing in bad faith, but plenty of people are just stuck in how they decided to feel about McDavid several years ago.

The best players in the game often have haters though. The way people talk about Crosby now is a far cry from how people used to talk about him.

Yeah I don't think this is a unique thing with McDavid. We've already covered Sid and Ovi in this thread, but I recall reading some of the major criticisms Lemieux had back in the 1980s and 1990s regarding his leadership and lack of defensive play. At least from what I read (was before I was born), a lot of comments being made were about how he was just a points farmer that just cherrypicked the entire game up until he was in his mid 20s.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yeah I don't think this is a unique thing with McDavid. We've already covered Sid and Ovi in this thread, but I recall reading some of the major criticisms Lemieux had back in the 1980s and 1990s regarding his leadership and lack of defensive play. At least from what I read (was before I was born), a lot of comments being made were about how he was just a points farmer that just cherrypicked the entire game up until he was in his mid 20s.
Pretty sure Don Cherry used to push that narrative about Lemieux (ie. cherrypicker who hung out at center ice waiting for passes).

Reactions: dukeofjive

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Which is fine. That being said, it's not McDavid's fault we are run by a vacuum salesman that makes one trade every five years. If anything, that makes what he's doing even MORE impressive.

"I just plain don't like him" is completely fine. I personally don't care if anyone else likes him or not. What I take umbrage with is downplaying his accomplishments and performances. Dude is on the fast track to be a top 3 player in the history of the sport. Like him or not, his level of play is inarguable.
Yeah, but it's not always a clear distinction between player and team. A player represents his team, so disdain for a team can easily spill over into disdain for a player, and vice versa. Edmonton getting 1st overall three times in a row rubbed some people the wrong way as it was seen as rewarding ineptitude. Then, two years later, when a team with 3 first overalls in a row should ideally be crawling out of the basement, they land 1st overall again when a generational player is available. People are choked at this, and fandom is nothing if not irrational and subjective...

Just like Gretzky and Lemieux are now universally loved and adored, and Ovechkin and Crosby are pretty damn close to being universally respected and adored, McDavid will get there eventually once the dust settles. But for now, if you enjoy McDavid, who cares about the sour grapes of others? History will eventually be on your side.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huokaus and Canovin

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
The Sid and Ovi hate largely stemmed from the rivalry between the 2 and it was a Team Jacob or Team Edward thing, and healthy for the league

I don't hate McDavid but I like many I'm sure created a bias because of Edmonton winning all the lotteries and the fact he was going to 'Gretzky's Team'. He's in a very unique market where it's not really good or bad for the league, it's just kinda weird I suppose
And as a Sharks fan there's enough bad blood where I can't root for them, so yeah idk he does have legendary highlight reel plays, that pass last night was insane

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pretty sure Don Cherry used to push that narrative about Lemieux (ie. cherrypicker who hung out at center ice waiting for passes).

I'd be shocked if Cherry would have any other opinion than that.

A soft French Canadian (aka the wrong kind of Canadian) that just plays a skill game and doesn't even remotely play up to his size? I'd be shocked if Cherry was actually a fan of his :laugh:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
same reason for Crosby, Lebron, and Brady.... just jealousy and wanting to go "against the grain" cus it makes them feel unique

if social media existed int he 80s/90s Gretzky and Jordan wouldve had it too

The Gretzky criticism from old school hockey types was pretty bad until he finally won, and even a bit after that. If media was as instant as today I imagine it’d be worse than anything we’ve seen toward McDavid or Crosby

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
The pushback from some fans in regards to the McDavid media love is weird and I think as a hockey community, we need to be ok with the league promoting and gushing over it's best player if we want to see it be more than just an after thought in the hierarchy of sports. More players need to be promoted more often but as a hockey fan, I have no issues at all with the McDavid love. For one, he's incredible and two, he's having a historic playoff showing.

One of the best forwards in NHL history, still in his prime, and in the playoffs. The league would be idiots not to talk about him every chance they got.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
The Gretzky criticism from old school hockey types was pretty bad until he finally won, and even a bit after that. If media was as instant as today I imagine it’d be worse than anything we’ve seen toward McDavid or Crosby
At least Gretz and Crosby won relatively earlier in their careers, but then I feel Ovie got less criticism despite not winning for 13 years. I think thats where his "fun" personality played a role. Go figure.

God forbid you look too serious as a top athlete!

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Cause of the audacity to ask"but why" when it's pretty clear. This question doesn't get asked about kucherov does it? Why don't people like Kucherov?
well this didnt help.... I guarantee a Gretzky, Mario, Crosby, McDavid wouldve never said something like that. It just instantly made him a smug, unlikable person, especially for someone who barely speaks altogether.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
At least Gretz and Crosby won relatively earlier in their careers, but then I feel Ovie got less criticism despite not winning for 13 years. I think thats where his "fun" personality played a role. Go figure.

God forbid you look too serious as a top athlete!

Yea, winning really quiets the criticism. I think with McDavid it ends up being so much of a debate of “yea he’s great in the regular season but can you win with him?” that really only gets used because his regular seasons means he’s compared to the best of the best players who did win. I wonder if he was more of the Howe type prototype hockey player he’d get more of a pass.

Ovechkin I think did get a fair amount of criticism at least in how he compared to Crosby, but I don’t know if it was the same degree mainly because he wasn’t really hailed as the next great one to the same degree.

Reactions: amnesiac

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I hate that he’s not on my team

What he is doing is video game like. He deserves all of the attention here, he’s trying to overcome a 3-0 deficit and has had b2b 4 point games to keep the oilers in it.

If he makes this comeback, it should be remembered as an all time great comeback, maybe the greatest.

Nogatco Rd

Translator spent all my HF cash
Apr 3, 2021
Great player and great leader. Seems like his personality is somewhat cheerless/dour though.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
You're inventing a narrative , OVI and Crosby had it way worst , every hockey fan I know in real life is in total awe of Connor McDavid , only the internet troll dwellers and octogenarian good old days folks hate on MC97

Reactions: dukeofjive
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad