McDavid nearing 1000 points at 27 years old

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I don’t necessarily disagree, I just have a hard time believing a player would be accepted into the pantheon of “top 3 players of all time” with zero cups.

Yes, because you're looking at it from the lense of players who won cups in a 23 teams or fewer league. Guys like Crosby got lucky in their timing and team composition.

Again, you say zero cups, but a guy like Dionne never performed in the playoffs and never got close to a Smythe. Who are the players who have reached 40 points in a playoff run? Only TWO players have had more points than him in a single playoff run, Lemieux and Gretzky. It's not just the Smythe, but the strenght of that Smythe. McDavid also became the second player to reach 20 primary assists in a single playoff run. He had 24. One shy of Gretzky. The next players are all at 18 or lower and that includes Lemieux.

Also, I find it unlikely McDavid ends his career with zero cups.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Seeing Crosby still at a PPG in his late 30's, if you count full seasons at PPG till he's 38, he would be nearing 1900 points.

If he stays healthy, he should get much more than PPG between ages 27 and 33. So to me, it seems injuries is the only major hurdle for him to reach 2000.

We were robbed of Sid's true prime IMO. f*** David Steckel.

• Haha
Reactions: njdevils1982

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
What’s his ceiling if he never wins a cup?

Interesting question honestly. I guess it depends on if you consider a team achievement like a cup to weigh in on this. From my perspective, it's almost more impressive that he has a Conn Smythe WITHOUT a cup lol. I'm not sure as to the answer though. Maybe it knocks him back a spot or 2?

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
It's definitely different watching a guy so young and in his prime scoring 1,000 points. I still remember watching his draft lottery. Sometimes it's hard to appreciate how great a player is while they are playing so I am glad he still has a lot of good years left.
I'm going to get absolutely flamed for saying this, and that's fine and perhaps deservedly so, but just what a shame it is that he's doing it with Edmonton. If he was in Toronto he'd be One of the biggest stars on the planet.

Could probably say the same thing about if he was playing for the rangers, though selfishly I'm glad that is not the case obviously.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
This argument will be beaten to death, but that's like saying Ovi wouldn't be up there with the greatest goalscorers of all time because he didn't win a cup. It's a stupid argument.

My favourite example is Ray Bourque. He was top 5 in Norris voting 13 consecutive seasons... but he wouldn't have been considered an all-time great if he didn't go to Colorado at age 40—such a silly narrative.

When it's all said and done.

McDavid has a legitimate conversation regarding being the greatest hockey player of all time.

I know Gretzky was ahead of his time, but with how much the game has changed, for McDavid to be this far above his peers is absolutely Ludacris.

No one will ever agree on #1. Between Gretzky and Mario. Well, once McDavids career is over.

It'll be a new top 3.

McDavid, Mario or Gretzky.

McDavids floor: Top 5 all-time
McDavids ceiling: Top 1 all-time via the "Gretzky played vs plumbers" argument

I think he will be regarded as the 2nd GOAT when it's all said and done, but hopefully he does enough to make for some fun debates in the future.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad