McDavid becomes the 3rd player in NHL history to score 40 points in a playoff run - after Wayne and Mario

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Cup or ppl will disparage it.

3 games ago that was maybe true. Definitely not anymore - this will hold up all-time, cup or not.

3 games ago, Panthers were up 2-0 in the series, and 4-1 in the 3rd about to take an insurmountable 3-0 lead in the series. McDavid had 1 point so far in the finals, and people were already saying he was 'choking'.

He scored 2 important points in that 3rd period to make the score 4-3, and Oilers came close to a comeback, but still lost that game.

4 points in an 8-1 game 4 win
4 points in a 5-3 game 5 win

No - there's no way people will disparge this McDavid run anymore, win or lose.

Is this guy gonna win the Conn Smythe even if the Oilers lose?

There was no way he was winning in a 4 game sweep, and I thought even a 5 games loss wasn't enough a few days ago.

At this point - yes. Pushing this to game 6 - regardless of if it goes 6 or 7, I think at this point McDavid will win. Simply too much domination - both overall in the playoffs, but also in the finals specifically.

Impressive run, McDavid has now stepped up on biggest stage in playoffs during these finals. He'll deserve all the love he gets now, all that's left is that ultimate prize. It's within reach now.....
  • If Oilers win = It's McD's to lose.
  • But if Oilers lose = Player on winning team should win.
  • Kudos McDavid, our house is puling for Oilers to pull-off 0-3 shocker.

I think if you started a poll here asking people "do you think a player on the losing team should ever be eligible for winning a conn smythe?" 90%+ of voters would say no. I think most people agree it should be reserved for winning team.

But - as the rules currently are, it is possible for a player on the losing team to win the conn smythe. And because of how dominating McDavid's performance has been - he now has it locked up. He will definitely win the smythe, cup or not.

Letsdothis

Jun 19, 2024
Looks pretty identical to now for the top end scoring? Other than Wayne having a way higher ppg than McDavid.
Doesn't look identical at all?

P/GP (minimum of 10 games played)

2024 playoffs:
McDavid 1.83
Bouchard 1.39
Makar 1.39
Draisaitl 1.3
Rantanen 1.27
MacKinnon 1.27
Trochek 1.25
Aho 1.09
Svechnikov and several others 1.00

85 playoffs:
Gretzky 2.61
Coffee 2.06
Savard 1.93
Kurri 1.72
Larmer 1.47
Andersson 1.44
Messier 1.39
Statsny 1.28
Sutter 1.27
Murray 1.24

There seems to be a 20-25% higher production across the board in the 85 playoffs. Not quite enough to bridge the gap between McDavid and Gretzky, but certainly makes it a lot closer.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Before theses last two games, made post knocking McDavid WCF's & SCF performances. Said McDavid has to stepped up on biggest stage before considering him playoff worthy/clutch. To me, McDavid hadn't stepped up on biggest playoff stage now, like Kucherov & Crosby have done. Now all that's left is winning best and hardest trophy to win...... "The Stanley Cup"

McDavid stepped up, and preformed -vs- legit "Cup" contender on biggest of stages. Tough to score -vs- better players, hotter goalies, and better defenses late in playoffs. McDavid is doing that now, and after beating a Panthers team wanting to win "Cup" at home, has changed playoff reputation when lights are brightest. Was impressive road win by Oilers too, this years Panthers team usually comes back after making 0-3 games 2-3 at home. This season, not many teams survive that tide coming in....

Kudos McDavid, glad to see ya rise above it all..... :)

Last edited:

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Nah, Barkov and his 21 points or .906 SV% Bob is more deserving according to many in the Smythe thread.
I looked up Bob's stats today and I was shocked to see how bad his sv% was. Giving him the Conn would be crazy. Since the turn of the millennium, goalies win it with .930 ++

2001 - Patrick Roy: .934
2003 - JS Giguere: .945
2006 - Cam Ward: .920
2011 - Tim Thomas: .940
2012 - Jonathan Quick: .946
2021 - Andrei Vasilevskiy: .937

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
What McDavid is doing is off the charts good. Last night was ridiculous. It will go down as one of the greatest playoff efforts ever.

If they somehow pull this off, it will cement him as one of the top 5 greatest players of all time.......and for the very first time, the possibility of him challenging Gretz as GOAT can be truly talked about.

If they don't win it. It will still be a great individual effort, and worthy of discussion. But.....if he never wins one.....all of these close calls and "great season even if's" will be footnotes in the history of hockey.

Sure...people remember players and individual awards. People remember great players creating moments more. An image of him lifting the cup. Scoring the game 7 winner. Scoring the golden goal. These are the moments that stand the test of time, and become mainstream moments for even the smallest of hockey fan. The moments included in video montages. Im rooting for him to do it. I am looking forward to truly cheering for him when he plays for Team Canada. He is generational in every sense of the word.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I looked up Bob's stats today and I was shocked to see how bad his sv% was. Giving him the Conn would be crazy. Since the turn of the millennium, goalies win it with .930 ++

2001 - Patrick Roy: .934
2003 - JS Giguere: .945
2006 - Cam Ward: .920
2011 - Tim Thomas: .940
2012 - Jonathan Quick: .946
2021 - Andrei Vasilevskiy: .937

Bob was at .916 sv% overall - including .953 in the finals, after game 3. Those numbers weren't all-time good, but probably solid enough to win a smythe this year with no other true standout. McDavid also only had 1 point in the final up until the 3rd period of game 3.

Of course, things have changed drastically since then...

McDavid clears crosby already
I disagree, but probably not the right forum/thread to get into that discussion in detail.

I actually just made this post the other day in a thread discussing that:

Basically - McDavid well on his way to #5 all-time minimum, but 9 seasons overall to ~15-20 seasons for some other guys. He just needs a bit more longevity is all.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Mcdavid has stolen the show from Bob. What a player he has been the last two games.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
What McDavid is doing is off the charts good. Last night was ridiculous. It will go down as one of the greatest playoff efforts ever.

If they somehow pull this off, it will cement him as one of the top 5 greatest players of all time.......and for the very first time, the possibility of him challenging Gretz as GOAT can be truly talked about.

If they don't win it. It will still be a great individual effort, and worthy of discussion. But.....if he never wins one.....all of these close calls and "great season even if's" will be footnotes in the history of hockey.

Sure...people remember players and individual awards. People remember great players creating moments more. An image of him lifting the cup. Scoring the game 7 winner. Scoring the golden goal. These are the moments that stand the test of time, and become mainstream moments for even the smallest of hockey fan. The moments included in video montages. Im rooting for him to do it. I am looking forward to truly cheering for him when he plays for Team Canada. He is generational in every sense of the word.

I've always scoffed at any claims I see of McDavid challenging Gretzky all-time. I still do.

But I'll say this much - if Oilers do pull this comeback off, and if McDavid in the process beats out Gretzky's record of 47 points - I'd very much be open to considering this the greatest performance in hockey history. Above any Gretzky playoff run, or regular season.

Still a long way to go though, so we'll see.

It's very exciting to follow.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
If the Oilers come back from a 0-3 deficits and win the Cup, you might be looking at the best individual playoff run of all-time by McDavid
Especially if he also breaks the record for most points ever in a playoffs. Still 2 games to go and for all we know skinner tanks it and they get blown out next game but at least so far edm is making things interesting.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I've always scoffed at any claims I see of McDavid challenging Gretzky all-time. I still do.

But I'll say this much - if Oilers do pull this comeback off, and if McDavid in the process beats out Gretzky's record of 47 points - I'd very much be open to considering this the greatest performance in hockey history. Above any Gretzky playoff run, or regular season.

That's kind of my what if scenario. I mean....if he pulls this off, I think our minds can start to wrap around the possibility that he could eclipse Gretzky all time. It would require this....plus a lot more career wise......something like 2 or 3 more Cups and 2 or 3 Olympic Golds.....plus, 6-8 more Art Ross and Hart trophy's. Something that could be done for sure.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Basically - McDavid well on his way to #5 all-time minimum, but 9 seasons overall to ~15-20 seasons for some other guys. He just needs a bit more longevity is all.
Orr and Lemieux don't have much longevity or games played, but they are both clearly top 5.

Talent is talent, and McDavid's talent is far ahead of Crosby's.

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
Definitely in contention for third best forward of all time. There has always been a massive gap between Gretzky/Lemieux and the third one. I know there’s Howe but I’m not a big fan of counting players who played so long ago. I rather stick to the modern era.

Assuming McDavid remains healthy, he could actually knock down Lemieux from the second spot. He’ll never match him in sheer dominance but Lemieux spent over 1/3rd of his career injured. McDavid’s far better longevity will more than make up for Lemieux’s advantages.
Talks about all-time history in the same breath that he discards all-time history …

:popcorn:

Can’t wait for the explanation of why his opinion on the topic has ANY credibility.
:laugh:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

It's true, and it is exciting to follow. He's putting up a contender for best playoff run ever. Florida is still probably wins, but what McDavid is doing is historically relevant. I'm very curious to hear about his health after the season too, seems like he's had something off basically all year long.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
If the Oilers come back from a 0-3 deficits and win the Cup, you might be looking at the best individual playoff run of all-time by McDavid
But it doesnt feel that way to me .. and its odd.

Sometimes when people make things look too easy .. the dumb guy on the couch (me) doesnt give it enough credit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad