Player Discussion Max Jones

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
It took me a day to understand it. But as crazy as it may sound, the signing of Max Jones was the moment this offseason “clicked” for me. Where I understood what Sweeney and management were going for and where my opinion no longer split with the plan.

I have made my opinions known on the Elias Lindholm signing. I think it’s a mistake - most disagree. I hope to hell I’m wrong.

Zadorov signing made little sense at first to me from a logic and strategic standpoint. Another long-term contract at big money for a guy who you really kinda want to limit in the minute department. From an emotional view however, I LOVED it. I wanted thump on this blueline and god damn did I ever get it. My disappointment in Elias Lindholm was almost negated by my excitement over Zadorov.

But then Sweeney signed Max Jones, who I never even realized was available. And it all made sense. This wasn’t a shrug of the shoulders and old fan favourite. We already added Kastelic… why was Sweeney adding another?

Jones is good. Motherf***er good. He’s aggressive. He’s mean. And as much as we’re told to temper our expectations from an offensive standpoint? He has the capacity to better than your standard plug.

What it meant though, is that Sweeney was serious about the team’s identity. He didn’t bring back Boqvist. He let Heinen go. He wasn’t interested in the milquetoast JAG and he wasn’t gonna leave the heavy lifting to one rotational forward. Max Jones is every bit the asshole we crave. He’s an initiator. He’s an instigator. He’s a driver. And you know what? He’s not a bad hockey player either.

Sweeney followed up this news with Tufte (huge, former first round pick), Viel (me likey kinda mean) and Billy Sweezey (who I had to learn about a bit after, but apparently he’s an ass-kicking AHL defender). If a bludgeoning is required, there is no longer a shortage of options willing to go to work.

So maybe I wasn’t getting the big changes I wanted to the roster. No speed added to the top six. The albatross of a contract that I feared from the beginning.

What I got instead was something far better. A (effort if nothing else) return to a team identity that I’ve craved since they abandoned the concept not 12 months after winning the Cup with it.

Last season, the Bruins were second (to the Florida Panthers) in the league in hits. But it never really “felt” that way, did it? If you didn’t know that stat, does it surprise you to hear it now? It did me. This season: we’re gonna feel it.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
It took me a day to understand it. But as crazy as it may sound, the signing of Max Jones was the moment this offseason “clicked” for me. Where I understood what Sweeney and management were going for and where my opinion no longer split with the plan.

I have made my opinions known on the Elias Lindholm signing. I think it’s a mistake - most disagree. I hope to hell I’m wrong.

Zadorov signing made little sense at first to me from a logic and strategic standpoint. Another long-term contract at big money for a guy who you really kinda want to limit in the minute department. From an emotional view however, I LOVED it. I wanted thump on this blueline and god damn did I ever get it. My disappointment in Elias Lindholm was almost negated by my excitement over Zadorov.

But then Sweeney signed Max Jones, who I never even realized was available. And it all made sense. This wasn’t a shrug of the shoulders and old fan favourite. We already added Kastelic… why was Sweeney adding another?

Jones is good. Motherf***er good. He’s aggressive. He’s mean. And as much as we’re told to temper our expectations from an offensive standpoint? He has the capacity to better than your standard plug.

What it meant though, is that Sweeney was serious about the team’s identity. He didn’t bring back Boqvist. He let Heinen go. He wasn’t interested in the milquetoast JAG and he wasn’t gonna leave the heavy lifting to one rotational forward. Max Jones is every bit the asshole we crave. He’s an initiator. He’s an instigator. He’s a driver. And you know what? He’s not a bad hockey player either.

Sweeney followed up this news with Tufte (huge, former first round pick), Viel (me likey kinda mean) and Billy Sweezey (who I had to learn about a bit after, but apparently he’s an ass-kicking AHL defender). If a bludgeoning is required, there is no longer a shortage of options willing to go to work.

So maybe I wasn’t getting the big changes I wanted to the roster. No speed added to the top six. The albatross of a contract that I feared from the beginning.

What I got instead was something far better. A (effort if nothing else) return to a team identity that I’ve craved since they abandoned the concept not 12 months after winning the Cup with it.

Last season, the Bruins were second (to the Florida Panthers) in the league in hits. But it never really “felt” that way, did it? If you didn’t know that stat, does it surprise you to hear it now? It did me. This season: we’re gonna feel it.
One of my favourite posts of yours - and there’s many

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I really liked Jones coming out of the draft. Picked him up in our hfl sim league several times. He's got a good package of physical attributes mixed with abilities but for whatever reason ( injuries, luck, linemates, poor play ) he just hasn't put it all together.

If the Bruins just want him to the heat seeking missile on the forecheck, he can do that. Kast will be there for backup.
I thought maybe Beecher wouldn't start but if Brazeau is promoted to the top 9, they could run Jones -- Beecher -- Kast, with Veil coming off the bench when needed.

Marchand -- Lindholm -- Pasta

Zacha -- Poitras -- Geekie

Frederic -- Coyle -- Brazeau

Jones -- Beecher -- Kast

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I like this signing I think there is value to be found in younger, unqualified free agents rather than signing a bunch of 30-year olds.

Jones can skate well and has skill. Strange he hasn't put it together yet but that could change here. There is upside there.
G#1 put him with Lindholm and #88 with Zadorov as often as possible. Use that game to send a loud message to Fla. Slot back after that game.

Reactions: BruinDust

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida

Great post. The two big contracts won’t look good in a few years, but I get what they are doing, they are going for it while Pasta, McAvoy, and Swayman are still in their primes. They don’t have the farm system to build onto the team organically, so if you want to maximize value while your key players are still in their primes, overpaying in free agency in cap hit and term is the easiest way to do it. I get it.

And then add a few tougher guys like Jones to supplement the toughness at the bottom of the lineup. Geekie worked out last year. Seems Sweeney might have found a market efficiency in signing these non qualified RFAs.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

I agree with your post, especially the Lindholm comment, I think you and I are in the minority with this signing, big mistake. Zadorov is a overpayment, no doubt, but I feel his presence will elevate his teammates game, just a hunch. The Jones signing is a low risk, high reward move. I really feel there is a need for a scorer, would love to find some cap room for Laine, only two years left on his contract , might be a good look see. I, know fans are screaming for Poitras, Lysell, and Merkolov, but I have a gut feeling that Geekie, Beecher, and Frederic who I thought my opinion played well last year, but they just might have a big impact on this team, their big drawback will be to overcome inconsistent play, maybe this is the time in their careers that it happens.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Excellent post.

Let me go a little Don Cherry here. Though Sweeney is trying to put together a tougher team, he should actually be trying to put together a more Canadian-tough team. Bruins are still top-heavy American while the recent Stanley Cup winners are still top-heavy Canadian, especially in the physicality department. Yes, it's an international game now. But still, the very best (and toughest) come from Canada.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
GREAT post. The last few days sure feel like the first real shift in philosophy for the team. Till now they've been trying to maintain, but these moves mark the beginning of something a little different. Will it work out? Who knows- but I'll be watching for sure.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston

I will say the hitting stats are worthless, flawed and objective. How many times have we seen them posted in between periods only to laugh at them.

Only time will tell with Lindholm but adding Zadorov back there is a grand slam ,the other signings will be a bonus if they work out.

Overall the best FA offseason since Z,Savard, Thornton

Can't wait to get it going.

Last edited:

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Great post.

I share your concern with the Lindholm signing. Nice 2C but that's alot of scratch and term. It does move Zacha back to wing were he is much more effective. But that doesn't justify the cost IMO.

I love the Zadorov signing. I watched alot of Canucks playoff games and he was a monster. Built for playoff hockey.

Max Jones? Not on my radar. I don't think I've watched a Ducks game in 2 years. But I love adding jam to the 4th line, and if he can score 8-10 goals, all the better.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Excellent post.

Let me go a little Don Cherry here. Though Sweeney is trying to put together a tougher team, he should actually be trying to put together a more Canadian-tough team. Bruins are still top-heavy American while the recent Stanley Cup winners are still top-heavy Canadian, especially in the physicality department. Yes, it's an international game now. But still, the very best (and toughest) come from Canada.
Florida had one of the most diverse teams in the league, hardly Canadian heavy

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017

It’s 100% about an attitude change. While they may have hit, I don’t think many were disruptive hits, or hits that made the other defense want to cough up the puck. FL defense didn’t see much resistance when it came to dump and chase hockey. They would just clog the neutral zone and the Bs weren’t fighting enough through it. Maybe one would get through but not enough support. It’s one of the reasons they had many periods with hardly any shots on net. They needed more “hunt” and board muckers. The only difference is, their stars bought into that same style. Will ours?

Zadorov will bring an attitude change on defense. I think you’ll see a rougher group out there with protecting the net. Interested to see how it affects Carlo. Does he see Z and say ok I can be rougher too. That will be interesting. It truly is the one lack on his game. He adds that look out.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I haven't looked forward to a preseason since Claude's first year as coach. You just knew the philosophy had changed when he took over from Dave "Zdeno, make sure you don't fight anyone" Lewis. It's about time the Bruins brass recognized what we all know is rooted deep in Boston's DNA.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Great post.

I share your concern with the Lindholm signing. Nice 2C but that's alot of scratch and term. It does move Zacha back to wing were he is much more effective. But that doesn't justify the cost IMO.

I love the Zadorov signing. I watched alot of Canucks playoff games and he was a monster. Built for playoff hockey.

Max Jones? Not on my radar. I don't think I've watched a Ducks game in 2 years. But I love adding jam to the 4th line, and if he can score 8-10 goals, all the better.
Being able to Move Zacha back to wing is going to have a large impact, Adding Lindholm allows that to happen.

It’s 100% about an attitude change. While they may have hit, I don’t think many were disruptive hits, or hits that made the other defense want to cough up the puck. FL defense didn’t see much resistance when it came to dump and chase hockey. They would just clog the neutral zone and the Bs weren’t fighting enough through it. Maybe one would get through but not enough support. It’s one of the reasons they had many periods with hardly any shots on net. They needed more “hunt” and board muckers. The only difference is, their stars bought into that same style. Will ours?

Zadorov will bring an attitude change on defense. I think you’ll see a rougher group out there with protecting the net. Interested to see how it affects Carlo. Does he see Z and say ok I can be rougher too. That will be interesting. It truly is the one lack on his game. He adds that look out.
You will have a better chance of passing a Gold bar out your *** before Carlo changes what he is.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022

I have a more favorable view of Lindholm than you do but no need to debate that, the rest of this I agree with totally. I think it's a clear shift to a more Bruins type identity. You're right, Jones is a pain in the ass to play against and I think he will be even more of that here on this team and in that role.
Zadorov excites me the most. I'm a big fan of that guy and how he plays. I can really see him paired with McAvoy and thus allowing McAvoy to open up his offensive game more and also not get targeted as much. I truly believe that with Zadorov on the team McAvoy will have his best season ever.
I wonder if Sweeney didn't look at Bennett's punch on Marchand and think we need some of that and we can't expect Marchand to be the rat of old, we need more size and meanness. Now we have it.
I'm also not as worried as some people are with losing DeBrusk and supposedly needing a top line winger. Florida had Evan Rodriguez on their second line with Tkachuk and Bennett. Now he had a very good playoff and he's a decent player but he's nothing special. We can match that easily with what we have already. Maybe Poitras. I think we will be just fine and can always add somebody at the deadline if we still need to or all the kids struggle.
Free agency has made me very excited about this season. Assuming we sign Swayman of course, which still remains to be done.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I have a more favorable view of Lindholm than you do but no need to debate that, the rest of this I agree with totally. I think it's a clear shift to a more Bruins type identity. You're right, Jones is a pain in the ass to play against and I think he will be even more of that here on this team and in that role.
Zadorov excites me the most. I'm a big fan of that guy and how he plays. I can really see him paired with McAvoy and thus allowing McAvoy to open up his offensive game more and also not get targeted as much. I truly believe that with Zadorov on the team McAvoy will have his best season ever.
I wonder if Sweeney didn't look at Bennett's punch on Marchand and think we need some of that and we can't expect Marchand to be the rat of old, we need more size and meanness. Now we have it.
I'm also not as worried as some people are with losing DeBrusk and supposedly needing a top line winger. Florida had Evan Rodriguez on their second line with Tkachuk and Bennett. Now he had a very good playoff and he's a decent player but he's nothing special. We can match that easily with what we have already. Maybe Poitras. I think we will be just fine and can always add somebody at the deadline if we still need to or all the kids struggle.
Free agency has made me very excited about this season. Assuming we sign Swayman of course, which still remains to be done.
Bennett punch and them bulling everyone in they’re way to the cup like the Bruins did in 2011. It finally sunk in. Maybe Neely finally got to him.

Reactions: KWbruin

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Bennett punch and them bulling everyone in they’re way to the cup like the Bruins did in 2011. It finally sunk in. Maybe Neely finally got to him.
If you remember though there was a thing going around in the middle of that decade about how the "new league" was all about speed and finesse and the 2011 Bruins type hockey was a thing of the past. Neanderthal hockey that was going to come to an end. It was talked about a lot all over the league and some teams built themselves on that idea. This I think is partly why he blew that draft so much and tried for all speed guys. DeBrusk panned out but we know the rest. It's shown to be a flawed idea though and players are bigger and stronger and teams like Florida have shown the way. You can have that speed, but that doesn't mean you have to stop being physical, quite the contrary.

After all, it is a copy cat league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad