Player Discussion Max Domi Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I wasn't the biggest Galchenyuk fan but junk is total bull ****. The guy was consistently 2nd in scoring the past 3 years if you count 2 years ago when he missed 21 games but was on pace for 59 pts.

Exactly. And Galchenyuk had many issues, skating being one and off-ice being another, but he was dicked around by the coaching staff.

Reactions: Fixxer and montreal

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Exactly. And Galchenyuk had many issues, skating being one and off-ice being another, but he was dicked around by the coaching staff.

The coach more frequently accused of dicking Chucky around kept saying the goal was to have him at C, worked with him and eventually did promote him as his #1C while he was still 21. Until he got hurt by Kopitar, Chucky was around 1.0ppg for 46 games with a +9 rating.

After he came back from the injury, he was still centering our top wingers. If we go back to the last game Therrien coached, #27 was the 1C.

Then Chu Rien came in and decided to flex his muscles and crapped all over Chucky. That was the beginning of the end for him here.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Right but Weber has been injured and people have started saying the exact same thing. Goes both ways.
Subban didn't have a ankle AND knee surgery at 33 years old. It's very concerning. However, I do agree that it is absurd to call Weber off when he looked phenomenal last year.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Subban didn't have a ankle AND knee surgery at 33 years old. It's very concerning. However, I do agree that it is absurd to call Weber off when he looked phenomenal last year.
It really was all bad luck though. Broke his foot blocking a shot and then hurt his knee playing through it when the foot break was undetected. But I don’t think either are all that serious, just needs to rebuild the muscles that have weakened during the healing process.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Galchenyuk has good size, good vision, and a great shot, but he simply lacks the ability to think the game quickly, or move his feet quickly. It really is time to move on and be happy we were able to parlay him into Domi who is filling the role we originally drafted Galchenyuk for.

I'm quite certain Galchenyuk was drafted to score goals. He was very good at that, even when yoyoed around the lineup and had new linemates as often as he had new sticks.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I'm quite certain Galchenyuk was drafted to score goals. He was very good at that, even when yoyoed around the lineup and had new linemates as often as he had new sticks.
On the PP is was quite good at scoring goals yes. But I’d take a playmaking C over a pure shooter every time.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

Yes I agree, I thought your point (that I was agreeing to) was that an injury is an unfair indication of the relative usefulness or talent of the player. Subban being injured doesn't make him a bad player.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
On the PP is was quite good at scoring goals yes. But I’d take a playmaking C over a pure shooter every time.

There's no substitute for a goal scorer on a team that has difficulty putting the puck in the net. I like what I've seen from Domi, but his style of play wasn't the greatest need, by far.

Reactions: Peanut

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I understand that galchenyuk is the "closest" situation we can compare kotkaniemi's situation with, but the gap of talent in playmaking abilities, 2way play and hockey IQ makes the comparison pointless.

Kotkaniemi is still finding out about his limits, the league, what he can or can't do. Faceoffs, hitting, i mean it might not look spectacular and eye catching but he's been learning and you can see it from game to game.

As long as he logs 14 minutes and plays with confidence i see no reason to panic.

Yeah no, you're relying on hindsight.

The current evaluations of JK are consistent with the first-year evaluations of AG, in fact people might have been even more impressed with the latter.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Galchenyuk has good size, good vision, and a great shot, but he simply lacks the ability to think the game quickly, or move his feet quickly. It really is time to move on and be happy we were able to parlay him into Domi who is filling the role we originally drafted Galchenyuk for.
We drafted Galchenyuk as a large skilled center, which he was. Unfortunately, we decided to delay his development to make room for DD. Want to know why I love this kid? Even through all of this? He managed to put together a 30 goal season.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
We drafted Galchenyuk as a large skilled center, which he was. Unfortunately, we decided to delay his development to make room for DD. Want to know why I love this kid? Even through all of this? He managed to put together a 30 goal season.
He grew into a winger. That’s just what happened. Didn’t have the pace or intelligence to hang at center.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I don't agree with the comparisons. Two very different individuals with veryyy different skillsets and approach to hockey. And a very different family environment. I like KK's mother, personally. Personal choice I must admit.

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad