Value of: Matthews

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Overpaid ? Matthews is definitely not overpaid, Marner and Nylander are both overpaid but definitely not Matthews.
I think Tavares is the one who was overpaid slightly but they needed more vet center. Marner and Nylander I think we're giving about 1.5-2 million more but it's okay. Nylander contract might turned out okay he is improving every year. Matthews is paid about right he leading club in goals. As for Marner not sure what they are going to do. They could trade him not sure if they will get good return back.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Tavares is the one who was overpaid slightly but they needed more vet center. Marner and Nylander I think we're giving about 1.5-2 million more but it's okay. Nylander contract might turned out okay he is improving every year. Matthews is paid about right he leading club in goals. As for Marner not sure what they are going to do. They could trade him not sure if they will get good return back.

Tavares was a young UFA and could have signed for $13M with the Sharks. Left a little to join the Leafs.

Nylander and Marner should have both been paid around $8M. Marner got the max deal and Nylander suffered from it. Now the table has turned on Marner because the core didn't get it done and he is a pending UFA where Nylander is performing well.

Matthews is a top 5 player in the NHL. No explanation required.

Leafs were hoping for cap increases and then Covid came along and derailed it. Some will call this excuses and some will call it context. Pietrangello was the guy the Leafs need to sign. Figure the cap out and do what it takes to sign him.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Tavares was a young UFA and could have signed for $13M with the Sharks. Left a little to join the Leafs.

Nylander and Marner should have both been paid around $8M. Marner got the max deal and Nylander suffered from it. Now the table has turned on Marner because the core didn't get it done and he is a pending UFA where Nylander is performing well.

Matthews is a top 5 player in the NHL. No explanation required.

Leafs were hoping for cap increases and then Covid came along and derailed it. Some will call this excuses and some will call it context. Pietrangello was the guy the Leafs need to sign. Figure the cap out and do what it takes to sign him.
I would of liked Pietrangello and agree. They needed more vet presence defenseman to help Rielly. If you look back maybe was Schenn who vet leadership leafs had . If you go back even further it was Kaberle. They need vet defenseman and it's on top of the list to improve team.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would of liked Pietrangello and agree. They needed more vet presence defenseman to help Rielly. If you look back maybe was Schenn who only vet leadership leafs had once. If you go back even further it was Kaberle.

Muzzin was a great trade. Fans did jump on his back at times but without him, you can clearly see the hole. I would have even kept Anderson. He was blamed for game 7 losses but it continued after he left. Kadri trade was bad.

But yeah, Imagine rolling Rielly and Pietrangello 25 min's a game?

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Muzzin was a great trade. Fans did jump on his back at times but without him, you can clearly see the hole. I would have even kept Anderson. He was blamed for game 7 losses but it continued after he left. Kadri trade was bad.

But yeah, Imagine rolling Rielly and Pietrangello 25 min's a game?
The only reason I did not mention Muzzin was the injuries.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The only reason I did not mention Muzzin was the injuries.

Yes, his usage was high on both the Kings and Leafs but there was a window with his time with the Leafs before his injuries caught up to him. It would be possible that he would not get wore out as much if Pietrangelo was in the mix. Hard to know for sure.

Regardless, I do hope the Leafs figure it out. Not at the cost of my Habs but I do want all Canadian teams to do well.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Yes, his usage was high on both the Kings and Leafs but there was a window with his time with the Leafs before his injuries caught up to him. It would be possible that he would not get wore out as much if Pietrangelo was in the mix. Hard to know for sure.

Regardless, I do hope the Leafs figure it out. Not at the cost of my Habs but I do want all Canadian teams to do well.
I'm American but I want teams to eventually not have to suffer long time. Regardless of where they are from. When Blues won cup few years ago it made me smile. As that was my former team I followed prior and had Bozak and Gunnarsson on team.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm American but I want teams to eventually not have to suffer long time. Regardless of where they are from. It's been not fun for years but when Blues won cup few years ago it made me smile. As that was my former team I followed prior and had Bozak and Gunnarsson on team.

The US teams I like are the Pens, Avs, Devils.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
The prior 2 years he had 9 goals and 20 points in 18 playoff games, so it’s not every year.
If you’re ok with $13m for a guy who can’t get his team out of round one that’s fine, just saying nobody else would be

Reactions: JKG33

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
If you’re ok with $13m for a guy who can’t get his team out of round one that’s fine, just saying nobody else would be
Nobody wants their star player(s) injured/sick and it happened to few teams as well. Remember when Avalanche had Forsberg out and they won cup without him in lineup. Injuries and illness happen and adds up by time playoffs start.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Nobody wants their star player(s) injured/sick and it happened to few teams as well. Remember when Avalanche had Forsberg out and they won cup without him in lineup. Injuries and illness happen and adds up by time playoffs start.
$13M for under 1 ppg in the playoffs is a joke no matter how you try and spin it

Actual top players elevate their games when it matters, he wilts like a bad cabbage

Reactions: JKG33

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
Yeah but when Tavares was a UFA Pietrangelo was 2 years from possible free angency and no one really thought he was leaving, he won the cup the next year. You know who the best UFA Dman was when the leafs signed Tavares? Mike Green lol. They were a team that wanted to make the jump and they got the best piece available, hell probably the best top UFA of the cap era (him or panarin)

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Yeah but when Tavares was a UFA Pietrangelo was 2 years from possible free angency and no one really thought he was leaving, he won the cup the next year. You know who the best UFA Dman was when the leafs signed Tavares? Mike Green lol. They were a team that wanted to make the jump and they got the best piece available, hell probably the best top UFA of the cap era (him or panarin)
Mike Green would be worst mistake the Leafs ever would make. So glad they did not go that route. Tavares signing at the time made sense and did get the Leafs more attention to possibly sign UFA's. That lead O'Reilly and Schenn for few games+ playoffs.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad