Value of: Matthews

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
And yet somehow they have had more playoff success than the leafs

Missing the playoffs for years is not an accomplishment. Choking the regular season is worse than round 1

One fluke final a major player on every opponent missed the series does not make up for years of missing the playoffs entirely.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i do not think it's possible to trade the assets needed to get him AND build a playoff team around him.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Habs haven't had a single player as good as Matthews since color tv was invented
Mods, for his sake, please delete the above post? Poor kid about to get roasted. The Game 7 boston hangover cloud is still hanging over him and clearly he made a big mistake.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah but when Tavares was a UFA Pietrangelo was 2 years from possible free angency and no one really thought he was leaving, he won the cup the next year. You know who the best UFA Dman was when the leafs signed Tavares? Mike Green lol. They were a team that wanted to make the jump and they got the best piece available, hell probably the best top UFA of the cap era (him or panarin)

Well, Pietrangelo did reach UFA and you just know what kind of D he provides. Exactly the piece the Leafs needed. Cap space issues yes but where there is a will, there is a way.

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
Well, Pietrangelo did reach UFA and you just know what kind of D he provides. Exactly the piece the Leafs needed. Cap space issues yes but where there is a will, there is a way.
Yeah I just meant that people often present it as "the leafs shouldn't have done X they should have done Y" and thats just a poor argument that doesn't accurately represent what was happening that summer. I would have liked them to get him, I think they got pretty good value out of Brodie instead but age always wins and this last year was rough. Pietrangelo is slowing down too but thats what happens when you sign a 30 year old UFA, and they got a cup from him.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Matthews+ for McJesus.
The biggest farce among the Leaf centric press is that Matthews is good defensively.
He has changed his game a bit and now hangs out in the high slot.
This gets him steals (takeaways) and makes it easier for him to flip to offense but ask yourself how often it leads to goals against because the Leaf D (2 guys) are outnumbered by the oppositions forward line.

While McDavid is easily better than AM offensively he also works harder in his end..
If Matthew’s put the same effort in defensively as McDavid. It might be a Leaf - Oiler final.
If Berube gets Matthews to become a more complete player the Leafs can be dangerous. If not they will always be pretenders.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Cool, the last time they met in the playoffs Matthews spent the rest of the spring golfing
Bro got his lunch money stolen by Phil Danault what are we even talking about :laugh::laugh:

Missing the playoffs for years is not an accomplishment. Choking the regular season is worse than round 1

One fluke final a major player on every opponent missed the series does not make up for years of missing the playoffs entirely.
They are not comparable franchises , habs always have trash rosters and play above expectations , winning multiple rounds with some of the worst on paper playoff rosters in the 21st century ...then there's the laughs :laugh:

Did you forget how you guys got good in the regular season in the first place? what was it like 5 years of bottom feeding?

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Go ahead and ignore illness and injury.
The Hawks 2010 parade was delayed by 2 days because 3 players (who played in game 6) were hospitalized with medical related. Then within 10 days of that parade 6 other players underwent surgery (medical procedures) to treat injuries they were playing with.

The difference between a champion and Matthews.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

Fluke final? How about defeating the Leafs in the playoffs and multiple other contenders enroute?

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Well, they don’t really get paid in the playoffs.
Which is possibly why Matthews doesn’t produce. He already earns a “max” wage. Gets tons of advertisement dollars.
Winning a cup won’t really add to his riches relative to the effort and raw pain players endure to get there.
Pretty boy has gotta stay pretty.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
The biggest farce among the Leaf centric press is that Matthews is good defensively.
He has changed his game a bit and now hangs out in the high slot.
This gets him steals (takeaways) and makes it easier for him to flip to offense but ask yourself how often it leads to goals against because the Leaf D (2 guys) are outnumbered by the oppositions forward line.

While McDavid is easily better than AM offensively he also works harder in his end..
If Matthew’s put the same effort in defensively as McDavid. It might be a Leaf - Oiler final.
If Berube gets Matthews to become a more complete player the Leafs can be dangerous. If not they will always be pretenders.

Not sure why you chose to post this in response to my joking post but you clearly don't realize that Matthews finished third in Selke voting this year.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Fluke final? How about defeating the Leafs in the playoffs and multiple other contenders enroute?
Don’t let him fool you. He’d give his 1st born if the Leafs made a (any) final.
Personally I find this fun. I hope they never win.
Being realistic about ages and memory. No Leaf fan under the age of 62 knows what winning it all feels like. (avg life exp. -80) So 67.5% of Leaf fans AND RISING! Lol

Not sure why you chose to post this in response to my joking post but you clearly don't realize that Matthews finished third in Selke voting this year.
I’m very aware. The press does what it does. Do you really think he’s the 3rd best defensive forward in all of hockey?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The Hawks 2010 parade was delayed by 2 days because 3 players (who played in game 6) were hospitalized with medical related. Then within 10 days of that parade 6 other players underwent surgery (medical procedures) to treat injuries they were playing with.

The difference between a champion and Matthews.
He had a suspected concussion.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Yes. Plenty of Times a low ranking team rides pdo and unreal goes to the final.
Montreal was out of the playoffs before the shutdown. The year before. Was the last seed then was the worst team in the ledger.

Tavares/scheifle both getting out of the series.

Don’t get me wrong. I would kill for a fluke final. But that’s what it was.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Yes. Plenty of Times a low ranking team rides pdo and unreal goes to the final.
Montreal was out of the playoffs before the shutdown. The year before. Was the last seed then was the worst team in the ledger.

Tavares/scheifle both getting out of the series.

Don’t get me wrong. I would kill for a fluke final. But that’s what it was.
This is just absurd. I hope you also realize that regular season was not a normal regular season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad