Rumor: Matthew Tkachuk done with the Flames?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Shane O'Brien is a Mike Commodore wannabe... and that's perhaps giving him too much credit.

Reactions: Boomstick

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Shane O'Brien is a Mike Commodore wannabe... and that's perhaps giving him too much credit.

Maybe. But he also played in the NHL and in the market, so I'd be more inclined to at least listen to what he says. The easiest thing in the world would be for Tkachuk to come out and say he loves it in Calgary and has no interest in playing anywhere else. I don't see that he's done that yet.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Maybe. But he also played in the NHL and in the market, so I'd be more inclined to at least listen to what he says. The easiest thing in the world would be for Tkachuk to come out and say he loves it in Calgary and has no interest in playing anywhere else. I don't see that he's done that yet.
O'Brien was brought in by Jay Feaster and played 45 games in Calgary. When Burke took over as interm GM one of the first things he did (a month later) was put O'Brien on waivers and send him to the AHL. The following summer, after Treliving was hired, his contract was bought out. I really doubt he has any inside knowledge.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Any truth to the rumors that Tkachuk wants to play in St. Louis?

I'm sure he'd like to play there, it's his hometown that he has significant ties to.
It's similar to how a lot of Eastern Canadians like coming to Toronto in the later parts of their careers, or French Canadians wanting to play in Montreal, or how most American players love Boston or NYR.

At the end of the day, he's under contract for a minimum of 2 more years with no control over where he goes over that period of time. If Calgary was indeed moving him, they aren't, he could be sent everywhere. And unlike some of the fans on this forum, GM's know it's part of their job to sell their city to players. Guys would trade for him and convince him for 1.5 seasons to sign a longterm deal; it's not as cut and dry as people for some reason make it out to be.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
you gave up noah dobson, ruslan ishakov and samuel bolduc for two years of travis hamonicclown
No, we gave up draft picks, what is done with them is irrelevant. The fact you'd call Hamonic a clown though, makes me really question the validity of your opinion, the guy might not have been an elite player but the dude is a first-class human being and calling him a clown is downright stupid.

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Devils need a winger with an edge who can score desperately. Would be a perfect winger for Hughes. Unless his "he only wants to play in St Louis" is true, I'd offer Isles 1st, Zacha, Mercer.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
To be fair.. Tkachuk did wear and show off a molina jersey at the STL all star game (in the middle of a competition) . I get and agree with what you're saying but it's pretty undeniable that he has shown a stronger tie to the city of STL than the average nhl player does to their respective hometown.
He pandered to the hometown crowd by wearing a jersey of his favorite baseball team, taking that as a sign of anything is laughable.

Cal Quantrill wore a Raptors jersey while in Toronto, clearly he's going to sign with the Blue Jays when he gets the chance! See how stupid that is?

Vektor

Jun 11, 2018
He pandered to the hometown crowd by wearing a jersey of his favorite baseball team, taking that as a sign of anything is laughable.

Cal Quantrill wore a Raptors jersey while in Toronto, clearly he's going to sign with the Blue Jays when he gets the chance! See how stupid that is?
I didn't say it was some guarantee that he was going to STL. But it obviously displays more of a connection than what most players in the nhl do. That's not even an arguable point. Remember the bed sheets for the beloved Tavares? Where did he sign again?

Last edited:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
No, we gave up draft picks, what is done with them is irrelevant. The fact you'd call Hamonic a clown though, makes me really question the validity of your opinion, the guy might not have been an elite player but the dude is a first-class human being and calling him a clown is downright stupid.
Point is that you lost out massively. I understand travis is a great person, but you lost two potentially good defensemen AND a decent center in ishakov. I dunno what you do if your treliving because that trade defines him.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Point is that you lost out massively. I understand travis is a great person, but you lost two potentially good defensemen AND a decent center in ishakov. I dunno what you do if your treliving because that trade defines him.

Meh. Not having Dobson sucks because although we have a super young versatile defense core, it's never a bad thing to add more guys.
The other two I'm really not concerned about not having in the system.

Hamonic fell off a cliff in his last year in Calgary, it happens with that many miles on him the way he plays. If Calgary got prime Hammer for longer, I'd have no issues with that trade.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Is there a new rumor out there? Or still the original Tkachuk for Tarasenko?

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Meh. Not having Dobson sucks because although we have a super young versatile defense core, it's never a bad thing to add more guys.
The other two I'm really not concerned about not having in the system.

Hamonic fell off a cliff in his last year in Calgary, it happens with that many miles on him the way he plays. If Calgary got prime Hammer for longer, I'd have no issues with that trade.
I'll wait on that being true before you get too excited. calgary is not a great development team

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
No we lost draft picks, you can't claim we lost certain players because no one knows who the Flames would have drafted. And how does that trade define Treliving? It's not the only big trade he's made.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Hanifin, Andersson and Valimaki are all under 24.
I think you should probably stop acting like you belong under a bridge now.
i get those guys, but the only one who i think is really good out of the three is hanifin. andersson is a mess defensively and valimaki is not there yet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad