Player Discussion Matthew Savoie

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Yamomoto gets underated here. The kid is 5'7 and light as a feather and he managed to have 114 hits in one season. He took a ton of beating. If he played a p***y game like Gaudreau or Quinn Hughes, it would have been better for his career.

Reactions: nturn06

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yamomoto gets underated here. The kid is 5'7 and light as a feather and he managed to have 114 hits in one season. He took a ton of beating. If he played a p***y game like Gaudreau or Quinn Hughes, it would have been better for his career.
I think Yamamoto is properly rated.
If you're that tiny, you need to have high end skill to compensate for the lack of size and he just didn't have that at the NHL level. He tried to play like Zach Hyman but in a pint size frame. He would get beat up constantly and could never cause enough chaos around the net because he was too small to get to his spots. He couldn't play the perimeter game because he didn't have the skill for it.

He had that amazing run when he first came up full time but once the league figured him out he cratered and now he's out of the league essentially, I don't believe he was signed by anybody yet.
I was a big fan of his when he first came up but it just never translated for him.
I don't think the Savoie comp is apt. Savoie has way more natural skill (puck carrying ability, playmaking, long range shot) and in a much bigger frame. There's a much clearer path for NHL success for Savoie if he continues to put in the work.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I think Yamamoto is properly rated.
If you're that tiny, you need to have high end skill to compensate for the lack of size and he just didn't have that at the NHL level. He tried to play like Zach Hyman but in a pint size frame. He would get beat up constantly and could never cause enough chaos around the net because he was too small to get to his spots. He couldn't play the perimeter game because he didn't have the skill for it.

He had that amazing run when he first came up full time but once the league figured him out he cratered and now he's out of the league essentially, I don't believe he was signed by anybody yet.
I was a big fan of his when he first came up but it just never translated for him.
I don't think the Savoie comp is apt. Savoie has way more natural skill (puck carrying ability, playmaking, long range shot) and in a much bigger frame. There's a much clearer path for NHL success for Savoie if he continues to put in the work.
He's skilled enough for the NHL. Just need to change his playstyle. The issue with him on the Oilers was mainly he was severely overpaid.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

It wouldn't have because if he didn't play an aggressive style he would produce literally zero offence. He doesn't have anywhere close to the speed, hands, vision, or playmaking ability of Gaudreau or Hughes. Doesn't have Savoie's ability to score from distance either.

He either has to play a rugged style to produce the little offence he creates and deal with injuries, or produce no offence at all and be out of the league. Unfortunate for him that he wasn't born a few inches taller, but is what it is unfortunately.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
It wouldn't have because if he didn't play an aggressive style he would produce literally zero offence. He doesn't have anywhere close to the speed, hands, vision, or playmaking ability of Gaudreau or Hughes. Doesn't have Savoie's ability to score from distance either.

He either has to play a rugged style to produce the little offence he creates and deal with injuries, or produce no offence at all and be out of the league. Unfortunate for him that he wasn't born a few inches taller, but is what it is unfortunately.
Savoie needs to play in the NHL first before we can say he can score from a distance and this is coming from someone who's very excited to see him play

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
He has a better shot and more range in his shot than Yamamoto has had ay any point in his career at any level.
His brother Carter has more size, better shot and arguably more skilled than Yamamoto and he hasn't cracked the NHL yet.

Reactions: nturn06

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He's skilled enough for the NHL. Just need to change his playstyle. The issue with him on the Oilers was mainly he was severely overpaid.
I don't think he is skilled enough, that's the problem. He's a grinder in a 150 pound frame and he's not skilled enough to play more of a perimeter game so he's stuck in no mans' land being not skilled enough for a top 6 role and too small to play a bottom 6 role.
I think there's just enough skill to catch on with somebody but he's a borderline NHLer. I wish him the best though, always liked the guy and admired the effort he played with.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Draisaitl replacement past next season

Hyman-McD-Nuge
Holloway-Savoie-Arvidsson
Janmark-Henrique-Kane

20240604_181046.jpg

Whole reason why this is so exciting is because of the possibilities with both on the roster. It's more likely that he'll be Drais RW at some point in the near future, than replacing him.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don't think he is skilled enough, that's the problem. He's a grinder in a 150 pound frame and he's not skilled enough to play more of a perimeter game so he's stuck in no mans' land being not skilled enough for a top 6 role and too small to play a bottom 6 role.
I think there's just enough skill to catch on with somebody but he's a borderline NHLer. I wish him the best though, always liked the guy and admired the effort he played with.
It's funny, if this forward group wasn't as deep as it is, I wouldn't have minded picking up Yamo on a PTO/minimum deal for this season. I think having a guy like him kicking around that can play in the top six when everything is going right is valuable.

That said, I see Savoie filling that role this season. He'll get a shot in the top six when an injury inevitably comes up, and my prediction is that he won't go back down once he gets that shot. HIs skill level is too high, and McDavid and Draisaitl are too good. This is the perfect situation for an elite offensive prospect to jump into. Guys like Skinner and Savoie think the game offensively at a different level than most players that McDavid and Draisaitl have played with before. They'll find the soft areas and get more shots off than guys like McLeod, Foegele, Holloway, even Nuge and Hyman. I'm not saying Savoie is going to be an elite player, but I do think he'll get a lot more opportunity to flourish offensively here than he would've in Buffalo.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Does Savoie play the wing in Bakersfield?
I'm going to guess not. Our team even likes wingers who play center. Nuge and Henrique excelled that way in the top six. Same with McLeod. It's just an easier thing to transfer from center to wing than visa versa.

Also with a young player, why not try to push them to center? It's a more valuable position. Savoie is small but I don't think size is that big a deal when it comes to center. It's mostly a hockey IQ thing. If he doesn't do well there it won't hurt him to switch to wing at the NHL level

Plus he shoots right. We could use a RS center to take draws. It is an advantage.

Reactions: Giggleplex

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Clearly he's not. The only other team than draft team had benched him 30 games and now cut him. His home team that had heralded the addition of Yama has given up on him entirely. If you saw Yams play this season at all you know why.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Clearly he's not. The only other team than draft team had benched him 30 games and now cut him. His home team that had heralded the addition of Yama has given up on him entirely. If you saw Yams play this season at all you know why.
Post concussion Yamo hasn't been good. Prior to that he was fine. Just overpaid

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I like Yamo, but if he was underrated he would be signed right now as a UFA. By somebody.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Guy probably could’ve gotten exceptional player status but rumours about politics and shit kept him from starting early.

This is like the Oilers first stud prospect since maybe McDavid? Maybe Bouchard?
I lived in St Albert. Lots of it was true. Very involved family even at the minor hockey level.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I lived in St Albert. Lots of it was true. Very involved family even at the minor hockey level.

Interesting. The one that kept going around was that CHL just didn't want to recognize someone out West [and especially out of St Albert, Alberta of all places]. Sounds preposterous but then again, Hockey Canada is corrupt AF and definitely has their biases

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad