RD Chase Reid - Victory Honda, 15U AAA (2026 Draft)

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought he was the best of the Americans at the U17 5 Nations. His skating is so important to how he plays. He's like a right-handed Luke Hughes in how he plays hockey. If you wanted a true comparison to a right-shot, there's not a ton of 6'0+ RHD that are more offensively-inclined and terrific skaters, but I'd probably say Kris Letang will be the best comparison. His skating is like a 70 or 75 on the 20-80 scale. It's not only straight ahead speed. His edges and back-skating are very good too. He can make so many offensive plays due to how well he skates. His puck game is also pretty good. The reason I compare him to Luke Hughes is that it's a good puck game, but it's not like an incredible puck game. He lacks that true elite puck game that someone like Makar has. If he had a Makar puck game, he would have a thread with 5 pages by now. His defensive game is a little bit of a work in progress. It's not a train-wreck, but I would say it's no better than adequate. He makes some mistakes with the puck and that hurts him defensively, but otherwise can do the defensive job. He also is already 6'0 for a player that is nearly 2008 born, so he's probably going to have no worse than NHL average size, and very possible better than that.

It's so early to know a draft range, but what I saw was a first round pick, and probably a very high one. But 2026 is so far away, so there are so many potential outcomes. I've watched the U17 Select team the USA sends to play in the 5 Nations tournament for the last three years, and he was the best prospect of the three years. I've yet to watch the NTDP defenseman for this age group, but I have a very hard time seeing there being more than 1 or at most 2 better than him, and there's a good chance he's better than all of them. This is one of the yearly players you wonder why he's not at the NTDP, although I had never heard of this guy previously and it's possible this isn't how well he normally plays and I'm completely wrong. I believe Waterloo has his USHL rights, and if that's the route he chooses, I suspect he's instantly in their lineup every game once eligible. He's only 15 though and the USHL doesn't allow players to play until they are 16, so he'll have to wait until December 30th.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
14 points in 9 games playing 16U. Second highest scoring defensemen, and he’s 1 point behind the leader having played 3 games less. He’s listed on the Waterloo roster for this season, so I’m guessing he joins them when he’s allowed to.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Leading 16U defenseman scorer in the country with 31 points in 31 games. He’s also born December 30th, so he’s competing with players born January and February for that.

I hope when he turns 16 he’s playing USHL.

Reactions: BKarchitect

IWillMakeTheNHL

May 13, 2023
Leading 16U defenseman scorer in the country with 31 points in 31 games. He’s also born December 30th, so he’s competing with players born January and February for that.

I hope when he turns 16 he’s playing USHL.
I’m pretty sure he is eligible to play in the Ushl right now because Gavin cornforth played in the Ushl in September of last year when he was still 15

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m pretty sure he is eligible to play in the Ushl right now because Gavin cornforth played in the Ushl in September of last year when he was still 15
I can't find anything official or like a league rulebook, but virtually every google source I can find says it's an age 16 and up league.

There could be some special rules where you can finagle it. I remember Savoie was allowed to play WHL a season early because of how Edmonton was manipulating their roster.

The example I remember with this is that Tyler Dunbar was 15 his rookie year in the USHL until December. He managed to play two games before his birthday, and then as soon as he turned 16 he was in the lineup for the rest of the season.

It could be that you are allowed a certain number of games as a 15 year old or with certain roster specifications you can play 15 year olds. I'm talking in circles. A long way to say I'm not entirely sure.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s apparently “played” 10 games for Waterloo so far. I’ve seen two of them, and I didn’t see him take a shift.

He’s not registered anything on the stat sheet other than 1 “+” in those 10 games. I’d guess he’s played a few shifts total so far. Wish USHL gave TOI per game.

He should be playing a lot more. I get Waterloo has a good team, but he’d be one of their best players. There are a lot of 2007 born players in the USHL who are playing a regular shift. He’s probably better than all of them, except maybe some of the NTDP players and Boumedienne.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I can't find anything official or like a league rulebook, but virtually every google source I can find says it's an age 16 and up league.

There could be some special rules where you can finagle it. I remember Savoie was allowed to play WHL a season early because of how Edmonton was manipulating their roster.

The example I remember with this is that Tyler Dunbar was 15 his rookie year in the USHL until December. He managed to play two games before his birthday, and then as soon as he turned 16 he was in the lineup for the rest of the season.

It could be that you are allowed a certain number of games as a 15 year old or with certain roster specifications you can play 15 year olds. I'm talking in circles. A long way to say I'm not entirely sure.
It's a birthyear league like all junior leagues. Chase Reid being an 07, despite being the youngest 2007 (December 30 birthday) could play in the USHL because of that. Despite being 15 at the start of the season.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1