Player Discussion Matthew Savoie

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
Figured this guy should have his own thread as he is now easily our best prospect. A look at scouting reports and sites project him as a top 6 point producer and comment on elite skating and great effort. Biggest downside is his size.

Wouldn't be surprised if he makes the opening night roster but probably should do some time in Bake and come up around the deadline/PO. Who do you guys see as comparable? A ceiling of Brayden Point and a floor of Viktor Arvidsson?

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
Tough spot to be in because we don't have space in our top 9, and I'm never a fan of bringing a skilled player up to play on the 4th line.

Gotta suck for the kid as he was likely a lock for nhl time in Buffalo, but likely won't see nhl time this year in edmonton and is likely seen as a replacement for skinner next season

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
He might be a trading piece to upgrade somewhere else or be a replacement for Skinner next year

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
You’d think with Tullio gone and Matt in, they might figure out a minimal 2 way deal for Carter or something.
Sedins may have skewed my views on brothers and the hope of chemistry and production, and not in anyway saying that they're anything like those players - but selfishly I'd love to see what would happen. Hoping we offer a contract, would love to follow that story next season in the AHL.

But to Matthew specifically, hoping he can put ~40 in his first full professional year here.

Reactions: McDoused

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Tough spot to be in because we don't have space in our top 9, and I'm never a fan of bringing a skilled player up to play on the 4th line.

Gotta suck for the kid as he was likely a lock for nhl time in Buffalo, but likely won't see nhl time this year in edmonton and is likely seen as a replacement for skinner next season
If the only downside is being delayed by a year, then that’s not awful. As you said, he may well end up being a Jeff Skinner replacement in 2025-26 if he ends up being as good as we think he might be - seems worth the 1 year delay if you get to have absolutely elite linemates.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Go to the Canucks forum and put "Savoie" in as a search. Messages for pages about how he's a bust. Get past these most recent posts, those after he's traded to Edmonton, and he's blue chip as they come. Central asset in suggested "major trades" to Vancouver.

Canuck fans have officially topped Flame fans in fanboyism. Don't get me wrong we still have fanboy complications of our own but these obstacles are on the decline.

When the fanboyism is eradicated the Oilers will win the Cup. Keep vigilant and stomp out fanboyism whenever possible wherever you see it.

I'll admit to a mistake of my own. I would have let McLeod walk instead of paying him 2.1M on a two year deal. I said as much before he was qualified. I wouldn't have qualified the player. I also said that. Well if we didn't sign McLeod we wouldn't have Savoie. I'll savour a mouthful of crow, lesson learned.

I'll wait and see what Savoie is about with my own eyes. Dismiss the urge to fanboy. Savoie will get his shot to impress as soon as training camp. Along with all the new acquisitions.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Go to the Canucks forum and put "Savoie" in as a search. Messages for pages about how he's a bust. Get past these most recent posts, those after he's traded to Edmonton, and he's blue chip as they come. Central asset in suggested "major trades" to Vancouver.

Canuck fans have officially topped Flame fans in fanboyism. Don't get me wrong we still have fanboy complications of our own but these obstacles are on the decline.

When the fanboyism is eradicated the Oilers will win the Cup. Keep vigilant and stomp out fanboyism whenever possible wherever you see it.

I'll admit to a mistake of my own. I would have let McLeod walk instead of paying him 2.1M on a two year deal. I said as much before he was qualified. I wouldn't have qualified the player. I also said that. Well if we didn't sign McLeod we wouldn't have Savoie. I'll savour a mouthful of crow, lesson learned.

I'll wait and see what Savoie is about with my own eyes. Dismiss the urge to fanboy. Savoie will get his shot to impress as soon as training camp. Along with all the new acquisitions.

pass-saturday-night-live.gif

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
At least not all of them are delusional

(Not saying we are winning the cup, but at least some aren't so blinded by idiocy)

1720385497116.png

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Not an insider, but I can see the Condors offering Carter an AHL deal. There is zero chance he gets a 2 way deal from an NHL team

They didn’t qualify him because they have a logjam on the wings. One reason they moved Tullio was to make room for MS. His brother they’ve moved on from and he will probably get an AHL deal from another team or perhaps ply his trade in Europe.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lafayette @ Buffalo
    Lafayette @ Buffalo
    Wagers: 8
    Staked: $18,658.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:

Ad

Ad