Player Discussion Matthew Poitras II

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston

Matt Poitras turned 20 less than four months ago. But the playmaking center entered the dressing room at Warrior Ice Arena on Monday as the Bruins’ elder statesman— at least as far as NHL reps were concerned.
Even though he’s still one of the youngest players at development camp, Poitras has a leg up on his teammates in that he’s already established himself as a contributor at hockey’s highest level.
But after spending most of the spring on the mend following season-ending surgery in February, the Bruins’ top prospect isn’t planning on going through the motions during the four-day camp.
“I’m just trying to come in and still do my thing,” he said. “I’m a bit older. It’s my third camp now. So try and lead and just make sure our standard is being held up. Just try and be there for everybody.”

Despite going under the knife to correct an ailing shoulder, Poitras was a full participant in Monday’s skate — showing no restrictions.

”I feel good, no pain or anything . . . Obviously, you don’t want to rush things,” Poitras said. “It’s still the start of July and we’ve got two more months until camp starts, so no need to rush anything.”

Poitras’s playmaking poise and vision allowed him to shatter his developmental timeline last October — dodging an assignment back to junior hockey after showcasing his talents in the Bruins’ first nine regular-season games.

For an extended stretch of October and November, Poitras was primed to make a legitimate run at a top-six spot — scoring 13 points in his first 27 games while averaging 14:06 of ice time.

But be it the taxing schedule, increased competition, or the physicality of the NHL, the rookie hit a wall. After slamming his shoulder into the ice following a collision with Coyotes defenseman Sean Durzi on Dec. 9, Poitras played only eight more games — recording three points and averaging 11:18 of ice time — before getting shut down.

“I needed to put on a bit of size,” Poitras said. “I came into camp last year definitely undersized. There were some bigger guys that maybe I couldn’t hold my own against as much.

“So I think this year is just going in a little bit bigger, a little bit stronger, kind of choose my spots a bit more — because sometimes I’d take some big hits that aren’t necessary and kind of hurt me, and maybe that’s why I didn’t get a chance to finish the season.”

Even with surgery hindering some of his offseason work, Poitras has added 8-9 pounds.

While he doesn’t profile as a bruising presence, that added weight might be the difference between a patented reverse hit and a bone-crunching slam into the end boards.

“I feel a bit stronger . . . I want to be able to win those one-on-one battles because I’m a guy who likes to have the puck up in the zone,” Poitras said. “So that’s kind of where it stems from.”

Poitras has more goals for himself before training camp opens in September. Beyond adding even more muscle, improving at the faceoff dot (43.7 percent last season) is a priority. The 2022 second-round pick might still be the Bruins’ most promising forward prospect, but a featured role is far from a guarantee.

“I’ve been in the offseason for basically almost five months now,” Poitras said. “I’m excited to get through the summer — still going to take it day by day — but I’m excited to get to camp and get into playing games.”
I think the kid realizing that he should try avoiding contact more often is a much better place to start from than a kid that realizes he needs to seek contact a bit more.

Call me old, but I'd rather my hockey players need to learn when to 'step back' than learn when to 'step up'.

If he can settle in around 5'11" and ~200 lbs, without losing agility, then he'll be perfectly fine / big enough for the NHL.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I think the kid realizing that he should try avoiding contact more often is a much better place to start from than a kid that realizes he needs to seek contact a bit more.

Call me old, but I'd rather my hockey players need to learn when to 'step back' than learn when to 'step up'.

If he can settle in around 5'11" and ~200 lbs, without losing agility, then he'll be perfectly fine / big enough for the NHL.
Nailed it

He’s slightly taller then Greg Sheppard but he was one of my All time favorite Bruins

A fantastic third and really second line center

Dogged player with skill who played 200 feet but easily avoided the cheap and tough Wild West hockey of the 70’s

I see Savard qualities in Poiteas but Sheppard as well

Big year for him - he hits we going to be tough to take down

• Love
Reactions: Bocephus86

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I really feel like we should pair up Poitras and Marchand. I think Poitras’ quick and accurate decision-making pairs better with Marshy and I like the idea of Brad playing the “Bergeron” role to Poitras like Bergy did for him.

It just feels intuitive to me.

I feel like this should work on paper and wanted to see it last year but when they did see the ice together, I didn't see the chemistry and they just seemed to never be on the same page. Maybe after some seasoning for Poitras, that changes this year.

Reactions: wintersej

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I feel like this should work on paper and wanted to see it last year but when they did see the ice together, I didn't see the chemistry and they just seemed to never be on the same page. Maybe after some seasoning for Poitras, that changes this year.

They both just seemed to want to do the same thing a lot, especially along the LW boards, and got in each others way. Be curious to see how it plays out. I don’t think there are any “pairs” defined, yet, that give us anything to start to build on. Maybe Lindholm and Pasta.

Reactions: PlayMakers

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The unrealistic summer optimist in me hope the lines look like the following come spring:

Zacha Poitras Pastrnak
Marchand Lindholm Lysell
Frederic Coyle Geekie

I know we are much more likely to be looking at:

??? Lindholm Pastrnak
??? Coyle Lysell/Brazeau/Hired gun
??? Poitras Geekie

with mix and match with Marchand, Zacha and Frederic, but a man can dream!

Last edited:

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Way too early to tell who he has chemistry with. He has 33 games played in his career, and how many with Marchand?

My only issue with them together is based on their size. Probably just as unfair I guess.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
In pre season at least I want to see them give Frederic a solid shot in the top 6. I also lean to starting Poitras in Providence. If he plays his way up to the big club great, but unless he is sensational in pre season I want to try to bring him along a little slower and develop fully for long term greatness.

People are also stuck with Zacha Pasta as they are both Czech, but I see no reason we couldn't go:

Marchand-Lindholm-Pasternak
Zacha-Coyle-Frederic

Geekie Brazeau and the best of the kids

and the heavy line of Jones-Kastelic-Beecher

Did I forget anybody?

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
In pre season at least I want to see them give Frederic a solid shot in the top 6. I also lean to starting Poitras in Providence. If he plays his way up to the big club great, but unless he is sensational in pre season I want to try to bring him along a little slower and develop fully for long term greatness.

People are also stuck with Zacha Pasta as they are both Czech, but I see no reason we couldn't go:

Marchand-Lindholm-Pasternak
Zacha-Coyle-Frederic

Geekie Brazeau and the best of the kids

and the heavy line of Jones-Kastelic-Beecher

Did I forget anybody?
Yup, you forgot Poitras.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Lindholm is going with Pastrnak until evidence suggests otherwise

Poitras who I’m pretty high on needs to show he’s healthy and a step quicker and stronger

He’s saying the right things, looks bigger and broader, and was against his age group better skating and shooting

Gotta think the plan is third line C in October and see how it all evolves

I like him with Freddy, Geekie, and Braz

All big all played a lot of professional hockey

My guesstimate is he ends up a 2C

But right now
1. Show your healthy
2. Make the team
3. Play so fans don’t need to hold rosary beads when you are out there

Seems like a super processor and his brain has files now

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Hopefully he comes back strong from the shoulder surgery (I didn’t come back strong from mine, so maybe I am more cautious about this than others) and locks down the #3C spot. Maybe some PP2 time by the end of the season. While there are holes in the top 6, that would make for one of the better bottom 6 groupings around the league.

Reactions: BMC

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Yup, you forgot Poitras.

Uh....no he didn't. From the post you quoted, this portion begins with the second sentence:

I also lean to starting Poitras in Providence. If he plays his way up to the big club great, but unless he is sensational in pre season I want to try to bring him along a little slower and develop fully for long term greatness.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Uh....no he didn't. From the post you quoted, this portion begins with the second sentence:

I also lean to starting Poitras in Providence. If he plays his way up to the big club great, but unless he is sensational in pre season I want to try to bring him along a little slower and develop fully for long term greatness.
Yeah, that was the 'joke'. I believe he makes the team out of camp (again).

Reactions: HuskyBruinPride

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Yup, you forgot Poitras.
I had him in with "best of the kids". I suspect he is the one to be on the team based on last year, but if Lysell or Merkulov or somebody has a great camp I could see Poitras going down since he's young enough to be waiver safe.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I had him in with "best of the kids". I suspect he is the one to be on the team based on last year, but if Lysell or Merkulov or somebody has a great camp I could see Poitras going down since he's young enough to be waiver safe.
Yes, obviously your post was about the possibility of sending him to Providence. I just don’t see that happening, so I said he was "missing" from your proposed line-up.

Sure it was.
Buddy, you need to take your weird, little-man energy elsewhere and stop quoting everything I post in looking for an argument. The summer is short, go touch some grass😅

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Yes, obviously your post was about the possibility of sending him to Providence. I just don’t see that happening, so I said he was "missing" from your proposed line-up.

Buddy, you need to take your weird, little-man energy elsewhere and stop quoting everything I post in looking for an argument. The summer is short, go touch some grass😅

Great stuff as always!

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022

Probably not as I said, but I see him going to Providence if Lysell or Merkulov stay up and win spots. I really only see 1 roster spot and if Lysell and Poitras are equal I see them keeping Lysell (at least initially) because Poitras is younger and easier to send down. No other reason.

Beginning of the year and end of the year might not be the same thing. No shame in a kid going to Providence by the way. Hasn't hurt Lohrei at all.

Reactions: GahdenRinkRat

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
noted fraud corey pronman (who i believe is a habs fan) with a whopper on matt poitras in his bruins prospect article:

"He’s expected to make the Bruins again in a notable role, but I’m not 100 percent convinced he’s a long-term NHL player."

bringing the LOLZ...fireable offense with that comment. i generally don't pay much attention to what he says, but i figured this will rile up a few of ya. hope everyone is having a great summer.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
While I think Potsy will be a full time NHLer it really wouldn’t hurt if he spent some time in Providence as the number 1 center either. He only made it to Dec basically so he lost nearly a full year development. So it wouldn’t surprise me to see that happen. It also wouldn’t suprise me if he looks great again too. He is like the polar opposite of Lysell. Individual talent I think Lysell has him beat, but understanding the game and playing within the system is the reason he surprised so many last year. His body just needs to fill out to handle the responsibilities of a center and I really think they need to keep him there and not put him on wing

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad