Player Discussion Matthew Poitras II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
I think this talk of him starting the season in Providence is crazy talk personally. Unless he looks like he's not 100% coming back from injury and really needs some more time, I just don't see it at all. He was good enough to make the team last year as a 19 year old, suddenly 1 year later with added muscle on his frame we don't expect him to make the team? With spots available? I'd be shocked personally to see him not in the NHL to start the year, but I guess we'll see.

Reactions: wintersej and lopey

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I’d start who ever is better. I think poitras will likely beat merk out.

I don’t think they send poitras back just to give merk a chance. I think merk will get called up when injuries happen if he plays well.
I hear you however some very good AHL / prospect players proved well last year. Some are at a crossroads. Thinking the team will give those players a solid look to start the season. Bruins will keep players who are physically/mentally ready, healthy, and show good promise at camp. Going to be interesting.

Reactions: TD Charlie

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I've essentially gone the entire summer with the idea of Poitras contributing next to nothing this season. If they get any sort of meaningful contributions I'm considering it a nice little bonus. At some point they'll probably need him to catch fire in a slightly elevated role, short term, but to me he's just so low in the pecking order right now.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Why would Poitras start the season in the A? he was an NHL'er before his injury. Points are at a premium, suit up your best players. he gives the B's a real play making centerman.
It would be a pretty unique situation for a prospect to earn his role on a team and the following year to be sent down for something besides poor play

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Why would Poitras start the season in the A? he was an NHL'er before his injury. Points are at a premium, suit up your best players. he gives the B's a real play making centerman.
1 goal in his last 23 games, does not concern you........... will be a NHL player but what is the rush if he is not ready.

Reactions: Blowfish

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
1 goal in his last 23 games, does not concern you........... will be a NHL player but what is the rush if he is not ready.
He was playing hurt for the majority of those games, which is why they shut him down and opted for surgery. He's going to be 190lbs+ for training camp, up 10lbs+ from last year.

Reactions: HustleB

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Reminder Poitras has gained roughly 10 lbs of muscle during recovery and he claims to be faster.
He was already 180lbs, now sitting at 190lbs. I don't know how much bigger you would want a 5"11 frame.

His biggest weakness (no pun intended) was lack of strength. Kid has a ton of hockey sense and talent but was way too prone to getting bodied off the puck and didn’t know how to push back.

He’s going to be in a great position at the NHL level with just a little more physical pushback.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
It would be a pretty unique situation for a prospect to earn his role on a team and the following year to be sent down for something besides poor play
I don’t disagree with your overall point, but it was a somewhat unusual situation in that they couldn’t send him to the A. It was either NHL or back to junior. Ordinarily he probably would have been in Providence for more games. And he may still benefit from playing down there for a bit. Training camp will tell the tale.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I don’t disagree with your overall point, but it was a somewhat unusual situation in that they couldn’t send him to the A. It was either NHL or back to junior. Ordinarily he probably would have been in Providence for more games. And he may still benefit from playing down there for a bit. Training camp will tell the tale.
I don't mean to push aside the notion that he could benefit from time in the AHL, but if he does spend time there it will be because he doesn't look good in training camp/preseason, not because we need to give Merk a shot or some of the other arbitrary reasons given in this thread.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
The guy had 16 goals and 79 assists in the OHL the year before, he is not primarily a goal scorer despite his hot start last year.
I know you have hitched your wagon to this kid and that is fine, but I, ask is there a difference between the OHL and the NHL, or is it just the letters the only difference.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
I know you have hitched your wagon to this kid and that is fine, but I, ask is there a difference between the OHL and the NHL, or is it just the letters the only difference.
Your response doesn’t really make sense with what I said. I meant that if Poitras could only score 16 goals in the OHL then it’s not fair to evaluate him based on goal scoring at the nhl level because that was never a big part of his game.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Your response doesn’t really make sense with what I said. I meant that if Poitras could only score 16 goals in the OHL then it’s not fair to evaluate him based on goal scoring at the nhl level because that was never a big part of his game.
Poitras can score. He has a sneak good shot. He wasn’t shooting much his last ohl season. Did you watch him play or are you making his goal scoring assessment based solely on his stats?
He also had over a 100 games in the AHL and was 21 when he played in the NHL.
does that somehow make it better?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad