Player Discussion Matt Boldy

ctmagic

Jan 15, 2013
Dom Luszczyszyn’s best NHL contracts:

10. Matt Boldy

Contract: $7.0 million AAV for six years
Model Value: $11.0 million AAV for six years

Matt Boldy is really good. Really good. Last year, at age 22, he scored at a 32-goal, 75-point pace and was one of the league’s best play-drivers at five-on-five. There aren’t a lot of players his age who control and influence the game the way he does from the wing, and the model is a big fan for that reason. He’s a star, and the best is still yet to come.

One of the things that really separates Boldy from other young players is his complete 200-foot game. Defensive value is often difficult to come by for offensive players his age, but Boldy has it. The Wild, one of the league’s best defensive teams, have been way better defensively in back-to-back seasons with Boldy on the ice. His work during the 2022-23 season was a nice taste of that, and Boldy’s 2023-24 campaign cemented it. His relative expected goals against rate over the last two years ranks highly among top line forwards, right in line with William Karlsson and not far below Jordan Staal.

That gives Boldy a plus-3 Defensive Rating going into next year, a high mark that bolsters his solid work offensively. If he can keep that up while turning into an annual point-per-game forward, he’ll quickly become one of the league’s best wingers. At his age, his value only goes up during the life of his deal — and he’s already well above the $7 million he’s making.

Attachments

• IMG_1353.jpeg
    IMG_1353.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Wild11MN

First round losers
Sponsor
May 28, 2013
MN
It felt weird to me that Boldy would be ranked so highly, but I think it's going by total contract value, which includes the number of years remaining on it.

But also a good reminder that this guy was only 22. He's likely not at his ceiling yet.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Sounds like a busy off season for Boldy, based on Bombardir and Russo comments lately, he is really pushing himself to advance his game, learning PK and training with the summer squad here. I’m really excited to see what he brings into the fall, I think this is a season where he could really step up as a full ice leader on this team.

He was incredibly efficient with the puck last season, any advancements in skating and conditioning are just going to unlock more and more opportunities for him.

I think they will try splitting him from Kap in training camp, and I will be very interested to see who they put on his opposite wing throughout the pre-season. Is it Ohgren with JEE for a matchup line with shooting threats? Or Riley Heidt gets his first crack at it, he’s not that different than Fiala, style wise, maybe he takes it and runs. Possibly Trenin if you want to check chemistry on a big body power possession line. MarJo makes little sense to start, we already know the chemistry is there and he needs to earn his way back up the lineup first.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad