Best Slovak player Of All Time #1

Who is the best Slovakian player of all time?

• Zigmund Palffy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lubomir Visnovsky

• Pavol Demitra

• Ladislav Trojak

• Jaroslav Halak

• Michal Handzus

• Robert Svehla

• Total voters

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
There's been threads about this subject but never one with a poll.

I'm not only considering NHL players but have no idea about any Slovak players outside of the NHL so feel free to comment on anyone I should add in the polls.

Also, let me know if you disagree (if enough people do I may add him but for now I decided to omit Mikita. Firstly, he'd be the slam dunk answer for number 1 (Stastny and Chara competing for 1st spot is a bit more interesting imo). But more importantly, he played he played his entire hockey career in Canada and also represented them, so..

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
I hesitated between Chara and Hossa.

I get why people vote for Stastny given his impressive number of points. It's hard to compare eras tho...

I voted for Hossa for his complete game and winning pedigree.

Last edited:

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
A shame Stastny didn't enter the NHL until 24. I know he wasn't dominating the czechoslovakian league, but from 19-23 he was a consistent top 10-5 scorer, with virtually every player ahead of him being older.

That being said, in a comparison against Chara I suppose it doesn't matter as much. I'd say they were top players at their position for similar durations despite the 9 additional years in Chara's career.

Can't go wrong with either for this thread, but I think Stastny's competition for his position was stronger than Chara's. So that's something to consider when looking at Stastny's relatively empty award votes in comparison to Chara's

Besides Gretzky and Lemieux, he had to deal with Dionne, Trottier, Bossy, Kurri. Even Hawerchuk and Savard. (Not to mention Coffey for the scoring race)

Chara's main competition was Weber, Keith, Lidstrom, niedermayer, Doughty, Karlsson, Green, Pronger. Certainly a strong group, but not as stacked.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Stastny.

Second to only Gretzky for most points in the 1980s.
Being a European on a small market team in the 80s really worked against him for individual awards.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
For those of us who aren't really sure who qualifies as a "Slovak" pre-1990s, could someone make a list of the significant players?

Incidentally, I think I would rate Peter Šťastný a bit above Zdeno Chára. I know the latter has his one Norris and his many top-4 All Star finishes, but I think being the best player / captain on an NHL club and being the 2nd-top scorer of an entire decade is quite a big thing. Šťastný was also responsible defensively (in an era when many top scorers weren't) and good at face-offs. Šťastný at his best was very Crosby-ish.

(I like Chára, of course, but I guess I found him a bit over-rated. I didn't think he was all that great positionally. He did use his massive size to his advantage, though, with that endless stick...)

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
For those of us who aren't really sure who qualifies as a "Slovak" pre-1990s, could someone make a list of the significant players?

Incidentally, I think I would rate Peter Šťastný a bit above Zdeno Chára. I know the latter has his one Norris and his many top-4 All Star finishes, but I think being the best player / captain on an NHL club and being the 2nd-top scorer of an entire decade is quite a big thing. Šťastný was also responsible defensively (in an era when many top scorers weren't) and good at face-offs. Šťastný at his best was very Crosby-ish.

(I like Chára, of course, but I guess I found him a bit over-rated. I didn't think he was all that great positionally. He did use his massive size to his advantage, though, with that endless stick...)
Golonka was a big star in the '60s, Dzurilla, Marian and Anton Stastny, Igor Liba, Dusan Pasek.

Later, Jozef Stumpel (who was still playing last season at age 51)....Petrovicky, Ladislav Nagy, Ciger. I'm sure there's a few I'm forgetting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad