Matt Bartkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
Been pleasantly surprised, he's been an adequate #6. Looks like he has decent wheels, can bring the puck put of the defensive zone and seems like he's gained some confidence.

Now, if we can somehow all get on the same page with the forwards on how to move the puck out of the zone effectively.....

Bojakees*

I think he has been very good other then a very bad clear the other night resulting in a goal VS Montreal....He is a little timid in front of the net but that should change once he gets the physicality of the game down....He likes open space and makes good decisions....If he can gain some confidence he may earn that one way deal after all.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Real impressed with his overall game especially his ability to move the puck- like to see him even get to Hamilton level of physicality and if he can bring that up I'll be happy. His one noticeable mistake as was pointed out to me when *****ing about it wasn't his blunder at all. The winger who was supposed to be there to receive the puck had floated off to the middle of the ice vacating the area. But when you are arguably one of the top 25 players in the history of the game you can get away with that. Overall though he's gets good grades

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Bartkowski has been solid since the B's have given him top 6 ice time.

He will likely be part of the decision about keeping Ference this summer.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I think he is green and makes rookie mistakes but he is a decent bottom 6 pairing for an affordable cap hit.

He has impressed me a lot more with this call up than he did last season when he was a disaster. He has nice size and is willing to hit and take hits. He is what he is and I figure he may be kept for cap purposes.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I like him...needs to get stronger (Devils knocking him off the puck easily) but he can really move...moves the puck decent too. Definitely a 5-7 defenseman and future full time 23 guy on a roster.

Doubtless it's been mentioned, but take a look at Haggerty's article

http://www.csnne.com/blog/bruins-talk/bruins-happy-have-blossoming-bartkowski

He's what, 24 years old? To me, Master of the Obvious, it's axiomatic that D mature later than almost every other position (center & goal are on par; wingers have it easy :) .) He appears to have the speed. Hope he's a keeper.

I appreciate AF, and JB, though it may be time to move on. You guys know more about the mechanics than me, but along with Dougie -- and perhaps an off-season addition -- the Bruins can find a much needed mix of stay at home & gitty up. It pains me to vote on Andy this way, but maybe it's time.

bigsaveluongo91

Jun 29, 2013
What do you think about Bart?

I like his confidence, he always tries to make the right play even if he's under pressure.

I saw Chiarelli very impressed with his development...

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
I haven't like his game this year, could be tough to step right in after being a scratch to start the year but he has struggled IMO. I like him best as the seventh guy at the moment. Still think he can be a good NHL defenseman.

bigsaveluongo91

Jun 29, 2013
I haven't like his game this year, could be tough to step right in after being a scratch to start the year but he has struggled IMO. I like him best as the seventh guy at the moment. Still think he can be a good NHL defenseman.

Do you think he produces too many turnover, especially in the defensive zone? Or what else?

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
So Bartkowski has remained a Bruin.

First impressions after 9 games this season?

I don't know too much about him. He's got good speed and seems to be pretty comfortable skating with the puck. In the defensive zone he seems to mix it up nicely between defending with the stick and sealing off forwards on the end boards. He doesn't shy away from the tough areas of the game but he's not a real physical guy either.

Is he having a successful audition? It seems like Andy Brickley has been fairly impressed. Like Brickley, Bartkowski was a final round draft pick so he has overcome quite the odds to play in the NHL.

Pretty sure he has only played 3 games this year

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'm still not seeing what many others here are seeing.

A bottom pair Dman? Sure, could be. But so far I don't see what would jump him into a top 4 Dman. Of course, I've only seen him at the NHL level. Providence fans have probably seen a lot of him and detect something I haven't caught yet.

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007
Haven't seen much hockey this season, have a 2 year old and now a 2-week old. I like Bartowski's game, throws the occasional big open ice hit like Boychuk and really like the way he will skate the puck out of the defensive zone and through the neutral zone in transition when the pass isn't there...seems to have a lot of confidence in that regard for a decent sized guy who's not a huge point producer...reminds me of Ferrence a bit in that regard. Nothing more agitating then turnovers when breaking the puck out. Hopefully will be watching more of him and my B's in the coming weeks!

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
On Behind the B, Chia remarked that Bart is prone to freezing up (by saying he hadn't really done so at that point in camp). I think this describes Bart's biggest weakness, decision making.

Has the tools in excellent straight line speed and some size, but he needs to improve on his decision making to take the next step.

Will instruction and experience get him there? Or is he a guy that just doesn't have the hockey IQ to be a consistent top 6 performer?

We should have a pretty good idea by the end of the season.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'm still not seeing what many others here are seeing.

A bottom pair Dman? Sure, could be. But so far I don't see what would jump him into a top 4 Dman. Of course, I've only seen him at the NHL level. Providence fans have probably seen a lot of him and detect something I haven't caught yet.

Gotta be honest, I like his game more than Boychuk`s. Have long appreciated JB`s game but I`ll take mobility, decent skill 8 days a week. Boychuk disappoints me to be honest, a guy with that kind of bomb and he can`t hit the net with it.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
On Behind the B, Chia remarked that Bart is prone to freezing up (by saying he hadn't really done so at that point in camp). I think this describes Bart's biggest weakness, decision making.

Has the tools in excellent straight line speed and some size, but he needs to improve on his decision making to take the next step.

Will instruction and experience get him there? Or is he a guy that just doesn't have the hockey IQ to be a consistent top 6 performer?

We should have a pretty good idea by the end of the season.

I would argue he`s shown very good hockey IQ, a young D-man who has moments where he struggles to make the right decision is hardly uncommon

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
All around he's better than Krug I think.

I want you to be correct but from what I have seen Bart. is very much the Bruins 7th Dman. As another poster has stated maybe it is nervs but at present his decision making is both slow and not very good.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Gotta be honest, I like his game more than Boychuk`s. Have long appreciated JB`s game but I`ll take mobility, decent skill 8 days a week. Boychuk disappoints me to be honest, a guy with that kind of bomb and he can`t hit the net with it.

Really?

I don't see this at all.

In the 2 Cup runs, to me Boychuk was as good as any other B's dmen.

SaskBruin

Evaluation Nation
Sep 27, 2013
Saskatchewan
I like Bart's game as well. Will gain more confidence the more he plays. I don't think he is this offensive game breaker some seem to think he is but I am glad he is in a Bruins uniform. Solid bottom pairing/7th D.

nycbruins*

People are so quick to throw Boychuk under a bus if he has a mediocre game, and just as quick to forget when he's the team's best d-man in a 25 game playoff run.

Charazard

Mar 24, 2013
Mississauga On
What are we doing with Bart?

Trading? 7th Defensemen? Keep him on the team and keep doing him as a scratched player?I just don't know what the bruins are going to do with him.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
People are so quick to throw Boychuk under a bus if he has a mediocre game, and just as quick to forget when he's the team's best d-man in a 25 game playoff run.

Agreed.I thought Boychuk was an absolute warrior in last year's playoffs. His skating definitely holds him back somewhat but the man has a ton of heart.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
I want you to be correct but from what I have seen Bart. is very much the Bruins 7th Dman. As another poster has stated maybe it is nervs but at present his decision making is both slow and not very good.

Neither has Hamilton or Krug so far....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad