Confirmed with Link: Mathieu Joseph and 2025 3rd round pick for future considerations

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Huge steal for the Blues, don’t get fooled by the fact that the Sens added a pick; you are going to LOVE Joseph

He’s a very good bottom-6 forward. People look at total points and that’s where the analysis stops.

Mathieu is one of the fastest players in the league and best PKers too. He finished 5th in ES scoring for Sens last season. He is way more valuable than a player like 36 y/o David Perron for example but unfortunately, that’s what it is. Our management has very archaic views and somehow think that 10 players can be on the first PP at the same time to rack the points.

Last edited:

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Huge steal for the Blues, don’t get fooled by the fact that the Sens added a pick; you are going to LOVE Joseph

He’s a very good bottom-6 forward. People look at total points and that’s where the analysis stops.

Mathieu is one of the fastest players in the league and best PKers too. He finished 5th in ES scoring for Sens last season. He is way more valuable than a player like 36 y/o David Perron for example but unfortunately, that’s what it is. Our management has very archaic views and somehow think that 10 players can be on the first PP at the same time to rack the points.
Appreciate the scouting report, hope Perron works out well for you guys!

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Good trade for you Blues, this has been Staios' dumbest move so far. We replaced Joseph with Amadio who costs 300k less, but is worse in almost every tangible way, but he has a ring so he brings 'winning' experience.

Joseph will be your fastest skater, a mainstay on your PK, and he won't take a night off. He's a 20-30point winger who can be plugged wherever you need. Won't be surprised if the Blues flip him for a 2nd rounder or more come deadline day.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Yep. I’ll always love Perron but give me 27 yr old Joseph at $2.95M over 36 yr old Perron at $4M every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Abso-f***ing-lutely. Agreed 1000%.

From reading sens fans on the main boards, it sounds like a big part of this trade for their org was trying to institute a culture shift in the locker room. I doubt his on ice impact will be worth $4 x 2, but they’re probably hoping Perron can come in and be a good vet presence in the room while still contributing some on the ice as well.

Joseph is one of their few younger players that is not a core player and has a movable contract w/ significant dollars on it. I’m hoping that getting traded like this will be wake up call for him, and I like that we have a good vet locker room (not to mention his brother!) to help support his growth.

Frankly, I love this trade for the Blues and think it will age poorly for Ottawa. Honestly wish Perron the best tho, and I have nothing against the sens. Even if we have their 3rd I’m not gonna be actively rooting for them fail…but I won’t cry tears if they do haha

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yep. I’ll always love Perron but give me 27 yr old Joseph at $2.95M over 36 yr old Perron at $4M every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Abso-f***ing-lutely. Agreed 1000%.

From reading sens fans on the main boards, it sounds like a big part of this trade for their org was trying to institute a culture shift in the locker room. I doubt his on ice impact will be worth $4 x 2, but they’re probably hoping Perron can come in and be a good vet presence in the room while still contributing some on the ice as well.

Joseph is one of their few younger players that is not a core player and has a movable contract w/ significant dollars on it. I’m hoping that getting traded like this will be wake up call for him, and I like that we have a good vet locker room (not to mention his brother!) to help support his growth.

Frankly, I love this trade for the Blues and think it will age poorly for Ottawa. Honestly wish Perron the best tho, and I have nothing against the sens. Even if we have their 3rd I’m not gonna be actively rooting for them fail…but I won’t cry tears if they do haha

Well, I just said this in my last post :

I wouldn't trade Joseph at 4.0 AAV for Perron at 3.0 AAV and a 3rd

Joseph is 9 years younger, a much better skater, much better PKer (Perron doesn't even PK) and OUTSCORED Perron at even strength last season (33 vs 30 pts) in 4 less games. Perron is more skilled overall and has good hockey sense so he's going to be better on the PP but did we need Kubalik as a PP weapon last season? Same thing again

IMO it already aged poorly and the only reasoning I can see is that Joseph burnt bridges with the organization which also hurt his trade value around the league (I mean, the NHL is a small world, they try to keep intel within the NHL but teams are aware of all kind of situations). It's also not a great timing to trade secondary/support players as they can be had for free in UFA but no way you would have needed to pay to move Joseph last season, he was frequently one of the best Sens performers.

It has to be a cultural change for Ottawa because this move makes no sense if not. It's not like they desperately need a Perron for the PP (they already have Stutzle, Tkachuk, Batherson, Giroux, Norris, Pinto, Greig, Sanderson and Chabot)

Reactions: Blueston

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Well, I just said this in my last post :

I wouldn't trade Joseph at 4.0 AAV for Perron at 3.0 AAV and a 3rd

Joseph is 9 years younger, a much better skater, much better PKer (Perron doesn't even PK) and OUTSCORED Perron at even strength last season (33 vs 30 pts) in 4 less games. Perron is more skilled overall and has good hockey sense so he's going to be better on the PP but did we need Kubalik as a PP weapon last season? Same thing again

IMO it already aged poorly and the only reasoning I can see is that Joseph burnt bridges with the organization which also hurt his trade value around the league (I mean, the NHL is a small world, they try to keep intel within the NHL but teams are aware of all kind of situations). It's also not a great timing to trade secondary/support players as they can be had for free in UFA but no way you would have needed to pay to move Joseph last season, he was frequently one of the best Sens performers.

It has to be a cultural change for Ottawa because this move makes no sense if not. It's not like they desperately need a Perron for the PP (they already have Stutzle, Tkachuk, Batherson, Giroux, Norris, Pinto, Greig, Sanderson and Chabot)
Thanks for that. Could you go into how he may have burnt bridges though? I recall on the main board thread for this trade, someone mentioned frat boy behavior. What’d MJ do to burn bridges in Ottawa? He appears to go full tilt on the ice so I’d assume it’s something off ice or in practice?

Also, sort of funny that Perron is now thought of as the mature calming vet type. While I agree he is, it just shows how guys mature as they age. When he first broke into the league here with the Blues I recall a story where in practice he passed the puck to Keith Tkachuk and Tkachuk mishandled it. Perron then slammed his stick on the ice and rolled his eyes. Let’s just say Mr. Tkachuk put the 19 year old in his place. 😬

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Thanks for that. Could you go into how he may have burnt bridges though? I recall on the main board thread for this trade, someone mentioned frat boy behavior. What’d MJ do to burn bridges in Ottawa? He appears to go full tilt on the ice so I’d assume it’s something off ice or in practice?

I know he was late at some point and got scratched in front of his parents in a game vs his brother. It was a big deal, but seriously I don't know more than that. I don't pay much attention to anything outside the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad