Proposal: Martin Gernat has earn 5 game within Oilers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
He will get signed. The biggest thing about Gernat is he has a huge variation in potential. Meaning he has a big upside. Odds are he will turn into nothing, but, he has a rare package, being big and very talented offensively. Watching him play he reminds me a lot of Tyler Myers.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Thanks, Roof Daddy! That makes it a lot clearer.

A Petry without the brainfarts would indeed be a good addition.

So, the picture I'm getting here a positionally sound D-man with a sprinkling of offensive upside. Probably not a great asset to have in an offense-based fantasy pool :laugh:

The thing about the SEL is that most young d-men don't put up many points. Erik Karlsson only got 10 points in 45 games in his one season in the top tier league. Now he's the best d-man in the world according to some. Stat lines for d-men are rarely impressive in the SEL

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The thing about the SEL is that most young d-men don't put up many points. Erik Karlsson only got 10 points in 45 games in his one season in the top tier league. Now he's the best d-man in the world according to some. Stat lines for d-men are rarely impressive in the SEL

The only guy(s) with impressive stat lines in the SEL were Rundblad and Hedman. The guys like Brodin,Karlsson, Larssen, OEL did not have good numbers in that league (OEL was swede-1)

And I somewhat agree with the Edler comparison. But I think Klefbom is starting his career with better defensive ability and less offensive ability than Edler did.

He may develop into a Seabrook type guy or an Edler type guy. Seabrook is probaly 70% Defense 30% offense and the opposite is true for Edler.

His first year in NA should tell us of how his offensive game translates and which guy he could be like. Just hoping its not a Barker

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
The only guy(s) with impressive stat lines in the SEL were Rundblad and Hedman. The guys like Brodin,Karlsson, Larssen, OEL did not have good numbers in that league (OEL was swede-1)

And I somewhat agree with the Edler comparison. But I think Klefbom is starting his career with better defensive ability and less offensive ability than Edler did.

He may develop into a Seabrook type guy or an Edler type guy. Seabrook is probaly 70% Defense 30% offense and the opposite is true for Edler.

His first year in NA should tell us of how his offensive game translates and which guy he could be like. Just hoping its not a Barker

Its a great point. I think scouts have this down pretty well, but most fans don't. The Sweedish league has such a massive differnt style of play it is hard to really judge who will do well in the NHL. Guys that play parameter games excell in the SEL and often flop hard in the NHL. Omark is a classic example. Meanwhile some guys who are great up down skaters do brutal in the SEL and excel here. Klefbom has the exact characteristics of a guy who should excel in the NHL. He is not at all a parameter player.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
He will get signed. The biggest thing about Gernat is he has a huge variation in potential. Meaning he has a big upside. Odds are he will turn into nothing, but, he has a rare package, being big and very talented offensively. Watching him play he reminds me a lot of Tyler Myers.

Gernat already signed his ELC back in April. I hope he goes to the AHL, but it's looking pretty crowded

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area
Gernat already signed his ELC back in April. I hope he goes to the AHL, but it's looking pretty crowded

That's a great situation to have. If Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin and Gernat all make it then our dcore in 3 yrs will be dynamic and we'll be in our new home.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
That's a great situation to have. If Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin and Gernat all make it then our dcore in 3 yrs will be dynamic and we'll be in our new home.

Agreed, I'm interested to see how much of Gernat's offensive game translates to the pros.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Lets stick to AHL roster for now...

Klefbom-Fedun
Marincin-Gernat
Musil-Teubert

That's a flat out sick group of d-men.

I don't think there's any way him or Musil make the OKC roster this year. Assume Belov and Grebeshkov make the EDM roster, that leaves:

Larsen
Potter
Marincin
Klefbom
Fedun
Davidson
Hunt
Leach

all of whom are probably going to be above Gernat/Musil.

In related news that is a really impressive AHL defense assuming it stays like that.

We could always send Larsen and Potter down to the Stockton Thunder. :)

On the other hand, Gernat and Musil could play down there so that they'd get more ice time.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
We could always send Larsen and Potter down to the Stockton Thunder. :).

Larsen and Potter are way better than Gernat, Musil and Marincin. They will not end up ECHL. They will be laimed off the waivers. Optimally Larsen and Potter or at least one them should be traded to the teams which seek to dump some salary. We can still take a player back with higher salary to fill needs somewhere else in our roster.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Larsen and Potter are way better than Gernat, Musil and Marincin. They will not end up ECHL. They will be laimed off the waivers. Optimally Larsen and Potter or at least one them should be traded to the teams which seek to dump some salary. We can still take a player back with higher salary to fill needs somewhere else in our roster.

I disagree, I think Marincin is already better than both. If Larsen and Potter make the oilers it is only because they don't want to let Marincin sit in the press box.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I disagree, I think Marincin is already better than both. If Larsen and Potter make the oilers it is only because they don't want to let Marincin sit in the press box.

I don't know anything about Larson but from his resume I expect him and Potter are similar.

N. Shultz
Belov (potentially)
Potter
Greb
Larsen
Insert line of some NHL experience here.
Klefbom
Maracin
Fedun

The terrible thing here is there is such a small difference between even N. Shultz and Fedun "potentially" but in known NHL capabilities there is a solid line for those that have proven, even to a small extent, that they can play in the NHL as opposed to someone who hasn't aka Maracin.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

Marincin is still a bit raw and not strong enough to be effective in the NHL. He's 2 years away, IMHO. Have never seen Larsen, but Potter is a legitimate No.7 d-man on most teams.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Marincin is still a bit raw and not strong enough to be effective in the NHL. He's 2 years away, IMHO. Have never seen Larsen, but Potter is a legitimate No.7 d-man on most teams.

Potter is probaly equal to Marincin right now. And both would play similar roles/have similar effectiveness in the NHL next year as a PP guy. Marincin is raw, so Id rather have Potter play ugly NHL minutes and Marincin get prime AHL developmental minutes

Oct 30, 2011
Potter is probaly equal to Marincin right now. And both would play similar roles/have similar effectiveness in the NHL next year as a PP guy. Marincin is raw, so Id rather have Potter play ugly NHL minutes and Marincin get prime AHL developmental minutes

This.

He deserves a fair shot at camp, but there's no need to rush D prospects. He's turning into a stud. Let him build up his skills and confidence in the AHL and bring him in when he can play in the top 4.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

I don't think we have enough cap space to take a salary dump in a trade.

SchultzSquared*

It is best now for Marincin to start in the A for the minutes... and best for Gernat to be in the ECHL for the same reason... I like Gernat and his upside as much as anyone... but let's be real... He has 120 games in high level junior hockey experience (WHL) where Marincin had already one season in Slovak Extraliga before even stepping in the Dub

(Assume NHL D is Smid/Petry/Ference/J. Schultz/N. Schultz/Belov/Potter)

OKC

Grebeshkov-Larsen
Marincin-Fedun
Hunt-Klefbom
Davidson

Bakersfield

Leach-Burgdoerfer
Haines-Gernat
Musil-Bidlevskii
Cunningham

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
It is best now for Marincin to start in the A for the minutes... and best for Gernat to be in the ECHL for the same reason... I like Gernat and his upside as much as anyone... but let's be real... He has 120 games in high level junior hockey experience (WHL) where Marincin had already one season in Slovak Extraliga before even stepping in the Dub

OKC

Grebeshkov-Larsen
Marincin-Fedun
Hunt-Klefbom
Davidson

Bakersfield

Leach-Burgdoerfer
Haines-Gernat
Musil-Bidlevskii
Cunningham

There is no way Grebeshkov will be playing in the AHL, unless he completely bombs in the training camp. With all the emphasis on puck movement and transition, I would think he's way ahead of N.Schultz on depth chart.

IMHO, our depth chart on D at the moment looks the following:

NHL:
Petry
Smid
J.Schultz
Ferrence
Belov
Grebeshkov
N.Schultz

waiver wire candidates:
Potter
Larsen

AHL, excluding AHL veterans:
Klefbom
Marincin
Fedun
Davidson
Musil
Gernat

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area

OKC

Grebeshkov-Larsen
Marincin-Fedun
Hunt-Klefbom
Davidson

Bakersfield

Leach-Burgdoerfer
Haines-Gernat
Musil-Bidlevskii
Cunningham

Either fans like it or not, Grebs is playing in Etown. He's not coming over to play in OKC.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Gernat had a good rookie camp game. I agree with Oilersnation's Kevin McCartney who wrote following things.

#78 Martin Gernat: Gernat was among the most impressive and surprising players in the game to me. His work along the offensive blue line was by far the best in a game that included a host of highly rated defencemen. I believe all of his point shots were on net, of which there were many, and it was his line walk and shot that created the Khaira goal. He was one of few Oilers able to generate offence. He made one very confusing pinch to the offensive corner, and was clearly not a shut down defender with spacious gaps and not much desire to close out lanes. But his transition game was good and his coverage patien

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
Put Gernat and Musil in the ECHL so they don't get overwhelmed, the former isn't defensively responsible enough for the AHL and the latter needs to learn how to skate better than Alex Plante.

I thought Musils skating looked a bit better in the young stars tournament then years previous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad