Marner's next contract

Marner's next contract

• Total voters

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
He's a high end winger but I don't think he's franchise level.
In my opinion he’s the leafs best, most important and most important player. He can clearly do abs see things on the ice that only the very, very elite players can.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
The team has to agree with it. In fact, Nylander never wanted 6.9

And technically he got more than 6.9m. Nylander's actual salary works out to be an average of 7.5m per season over his 6 year contract according to CapFriendly and that's all that likely matters to him. His 6.96m cap hit is what matters to the Leafs. Is Nylander really getting paid 12m in total salary this season like CapFriendly says he is? Damn.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
And technically he got more than 6.9m. Nylander's actual salary works out to be an average of 7.5m per season over his 6 year contract according to CapFriendly and that's all that likely matters to him. His 6.96m cap hit is what matters to the Leafs. Is Nylander really getting paid 12m in total salary this season like CapFriendly says he is? Damn.

He signed December 1st, he doesn't get paid the entire $10,000,000 of his base salary this year. Only the portion of it from December until the end of the season. I believe he missed ~32% of the season, and thus will get ~68% of the $10-mill from the base salary for this year.

Edit: Yes, the numbers work out.
Year 1: $2 + $6.8 (signing bonus + 68% of $10-mill base)
Year 2 - 6: $35
Total = 41.8/ 6 years = 6.96

This year Nylander should take home about $8.8 million in salary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelly and sheed36

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Has nothing to do with turning down money and more to do with getting paid the market rate. Leaf players have fans and media blowing smoke up their ass 24/7 and they get a sense of inflated worth. It's up to Dubas to bring the raw numbers and facts to the discussion and show them what their real comparable are and not give in.

Fans will be pissed if they lose out on Matthews or Marner over a few million, they'd be even more pissed if the team can't ever get out of the first round because they have 5 legit NHLers and the rest of the roster is ELC / tweener depth because that's all they can afford.

This is assuming there is any truth to the media reports. Matthews' agent has said money isn't the main factor he wants to win and be recognized as one of the best in the game and he can do both with the Leafs while getting paid well. Marner might be more of a challenge with his dad being an influence and him having a difficult agent to deal with.

But we'll see. Main board isn't the place to discuss this where everyone hopes the Leafs get ****ed over and pay the highest possible price.

What's his agent supposed to say, "Matthews can't wait to cash in"?

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Well I’ll tell you what when matthews signs for 12- 12.5 million per year and marner out produces him marner is gonna want his max worth. You kinda get the idea that the way his dad is acting about the captaincy that there is just no way marner takes any kind of deal.

My guess is 10-10.5 mill per season for marner as long as he gets over 100 points which he should.

And in my opinion marner is the best player on the team. He has extremely dynamicskating and vision. Matthews has a great release and overall a terrific player but he is no marner. Everyone just gets caught up cause he’s a 1st pick and a “big body” like that counts for something. Marner is better and I gurantee he out produces matthews in points for their duration in Toronto.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Nylander asked for 8.5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad