Online Series: Star Wars: The Acolyte on Disney+

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I'll give them credit for only TWO things...

1) The lightsaber fight was very good. There were a few moves where I went "I don't know why Jedi/Sith haven't done this before. It's so reasonable"
2) They weren't afraid to kill off characters I thought would be there for the long haul (but admittedly, I didn't care if they died. I found them cumbersome). Still, I applaud them for killing the characters I guess.

But otherwise?...my thoughts
    • Big villain reveal was obvious
    • Mae is evil again? They're digging BACK into the evil twin twist?!
    • Dialogue sucked despite great lightsaber battles
    • Why didn't Osha just stun Darth Teef once the helmet was off?
    • Btw WHERE DID A HELMET THAT DEACTIVATES SABERS COME FROM? How was that not used ever again?!!
    • No one communicates in this show. They're all intentionally dopes so the writers can keep the mystery going for the viewer and it's driving me nuts. Sol - just tell Osha whatever you did. Mae - JUST TELL OSHA WHAT HAPPENED TO THE WITCHES. WHY ALLUDE TO IT AND NOT ACTUALLY TELL HER!?!?
    • Mae and Osha's mom is going to appear again. No question. They mentioned her again in the convo between Mae & Osha. Hell, and I know this sounds *nuts, but I'm not convinced that the mother is occupying the body of Mae *right now* via some crazy dark magic her coven has. Like a re-animated body.
    • This is a personal preference thing, but man this show is going very out of its way to make Jedi comparable to actual Police Officers...and the bad guys of the series. I will almost never, ever, ever be down with "Jedi are evil" as the main theme of a Star Wars show unless a Sith/Mandalorian/Dark Jedi is the main POV character.

Alright I no longer have a problem with the lightsaber turning off thing. That's a legit Star Wars lore thing from prior to The Acolyte (even though I think it's stupid Smylo Ren could keep shorting sabers when capable Jedi are watching it happen).

Cortosis

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Fights were good. Manny Jacinto is great. Far from perfect, but still mostly entertained.

Exactly. I'm really not sure about the twins thing (not only their adult likeness is improbable, but they didn't have the skills to edit the one-actress-playing-two-parts without it looking super goofy), I guess they could still kind of save it by making Osha the acolyte and Mae the hero.

Alright I no longer have a problem with the lightsaber turning off thing. That's a legit Star Wars lore thing from prior to The Acolyte (even though I think it's stupid Smylo Ren could keep shorting sabers when capable Jedi are watching it happen).

Cortosis

That's typical SW fans reaction! It was dumb until it was "already done" - and that kills all possibility to tell anything new or to go astray without having the full extent negative reactions (not my Luke!).

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
That's typical SW fans reaction! It was dumb until it was "already done" - and that kills all possibility to tell anything new or to go astray without having the full extent negative reactions (not my Luke!).

I still think it's dumb, but I'm not going to blame the writers of The Acolyte for this one. That's all.

My issues with the Acolyte aren't small things like this. My issue is poor character motivation, poor dialogue, poor storytelling.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
I stopped watching after episode 2 and decided to wait and see the assessments in this thread before going back (or not) to viewing the show. From what I am reading, this is a hard pass. Unless maybe I want some comic relief for just how bad this is?

Reactions: MikeyMike01

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I still think it's dumb, but I'm not going to blame the writers of The Acolyte for this one. That's all.

My issues with the Acolyte aren't small things like this. My issue is poor character motivation, poor dialogue, poor storytelling.
C'mon man bad dialogue is Star Wars cannon!

From Harrison Ford telling George Lucas "You can type this shit, but you can't say it" to Young Anakin squealing "YIPPEEEEE" to "Somehow Palpatine returned!"

Ass dialogue is as baked into Star Wars as The Force itself.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

From Harrison Ford telling George Lucas "You can type this shit, but you can't say it" to Young Anakin squealing "YIPPEEEEE" to "Somehow Palpatine returned!"

You're picking examples from movies I also think have terrible dialogue so this isn't much of a follow up for me, hah.

Being canon isn't my main gripe. Dude I just want a good story with good characters. Look no further than House of the Dragon to find what a good script & actors can do for ya. There's barely been a dragon in sight these first 2 episode of S2 so far and I'm blown away.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
You're picking examples from movies I also think have terrible dialogue so this isn't much of a follow up for me, hah.

Being canon isn't my main gripe. Dude I just want a good story with good characters. Look no further than House of the Dragon to find what a good script & actors can do for ya. There's barely been a dragon in sight these first 2 episode of S2 so far and I'm blown away.
Just giving you a hard time. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: BrindamoursNose

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton

Some times all it takes is the right scene and delivery....point and case:

giphy.gif

vs

giphy.gif

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
The whole "twin" replacement thing was awful as well. Like should you be able to notice her dreads being burnt at the end of her hair? or the giant mark on her forehead? Or shouldnt you be able to notice that its not Osha since your familiar with her like through the force or whatever?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The whole "twin" replacement thing was awful as well. Like should you be able to notice her dreads being burnt at the end of her hair? or the giant mark on her forehead? Or shouldnt you be able to notice that its not Osha since your familiar with her like through the force or whatever?
Jedi overall being made less impressive the more we see of them.
Lower standards I guess with no Sith for a millennia.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Think you all covered it, but how come the padawan was absolutely baller? Oh, because she is female, and the force is female. Got it, makes sense. Obviously.

I don't care about gender and jedi strength, but I do care about if you're going to have a bad ass female jedi, can we not make her like 12? Or, if she's supposed to be representative of a bluechip jedi prospect, can we give her a bit of backstory that indicates that. A few Jedi knights get absolutely wrecked, and then she shows up and looks like Yoda in AOTC. Weird. Good choreography though.

Pleased with Smylo being Qimir. The heavy-handed hints that it's the Madonna of Dathomir made me nervous. Feels like writing designed to add intrigue after the fact.

I recall a few times thinking 'decent dialogue' but then it was followed up with absolute shite. As someone else said, I'm in for bad star wars, but this is pretty rough.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
As others have said, I thought the battle scenes were pretty well done. Much better then whoever the genius was who choreographed the 3 sequels.

That said it is not really a good look when the best part of the show is when nobody is speaking.

The whole twin plot is terrible and so incredibly boring. If they were both killed off off screen by next episode I wouldn’t even notice/ would probably enjoy the show more.

Any scene with those 2 is just terrible

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Think you all covered it, but how come the padawan was absolutely baller? Oh, because she is female, and the force is female. Got it, makes sense. Obviously.

I don't care about gender and jedi strength, but I do care about if you're going to have a bad ass female jedi, can we not make her like 12? Or, if she's supposed to be representative of a bluechip jedi prospect, can we give her a bit of backstory that indicates that. A few Jedi knights get absolutely wrecked, and then she shows up and looks like Yoda in AOTC. Weird. Good choreography though.
These are mostly Jedi knights and a Padawan, not masters, but still, so many fall? Guess without Sith for 900 years, their light sabre prowess has eroded for most Jedi. But, very inconsistent that the best light sabre wielder is a Padawan of the group that went with Sol. I get that 4 of the others were like fodder, but still....

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
So the mouse themselves de cannoned everything in the EU yet Cortosis random appears out of the pale blue f***ing sky because Smylo Ren/ Darth Twinkus the Lame needs himself convenient plot armor.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Yeah it's not really improving.

However I do think Manny Jacinto is doing everything he can with what's been given to him. He's showing impressive range in his acting skills.
He's been good, I just think the "twist" was too obvious and the whole thing fell flat because outside of Sol I don't really care about any of the characters, so the stakes didn't feel very high.

The main issue I have is mostly the same I have with Obi-Wan and BOBF. There are some really cool scenes but it falls apart as a whole because of questionable or bad writing/directing.

But that's honestly been true of much of live action Star Wars since the prequels, so I guess it's not surprising.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I gave the writers too much credit by thinking that all of the clues about the master were just misdirection. It turned out to be the most obvious person, after all.

I thought that Mae was going to surrender to the Jedi, but, at her first opportunity, she resisted arrest and fought back. Also, Jecki was attacking her when she was unarmed. Apparently, that rule is important only when the writers want it to be.

Speaking of consistency, Osha told Yord to put away his lightsaber because it would attract the moths, as we saw in the previous episode, but then she turned on her flashlight and safely jogged with it on all of the way back to the fight. There, multiple lightsabers were lighting up the forest and the moths still couldn't care less. It wasn't until she again turned on her flashlight, the same one that they weren't interested in a few minutes ago, that the moths finally went ape.

I'm not sure why the Sith let Sol beat the tar out of him and almost decapitate him when he was able to repel a half dozen Jedi at once with the Force. As a matter of fact, I don't know why he simply didn't Force repel the half dozen moths.

I'm also not sure why Mae is going to the trouble of returning to the ship with Sol when she could've just killed him while he was on the ground. It's kind of funny that the Parent Trap twin swap trope that people predicted is actually happening, though.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I see now where the show's budget went.

:huh:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad