Marner's Next Contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

When does Marner sign?

• Total voters

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I was listening to the Leafs Report podcast a while back and Mirtle was saying that he didn't think Marner's contract will be signed this offseason and that he would most likely be betting on himself. I'm wondering what everyone else thinks because imo he's the trickiest to gauge. Especially if we go by early reports about how he was looking for Eichel money. Just wanted to see when everyone thinks he'll sign and what his potential cap hit will be.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
With Mitch getting 69 points with that miserable TOI, I would be on myself as well since he'll be playing with JT.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Ugh, this was what I was afraid of. Getting the sense not to wait on Marner....

There is a cap on what we can afford to pay marner. If marner becomes a $10m+ player and demands it he won’t be a leaf. 3 forwards over $10m? Especially as a winger Cap hell here we come. I guess we should all hope marner doesn’t light it up with JT this year

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
There's just no way Marner can get Eichel money and keep this team together. He has to realize that, especially with Tavares in the fold. I'm certain all of the kids know they can't blow their brains out on their upcoming contracts. If you're involved in a pitch to a superstar player to join your team, you must know in the back of your head that it will impact what the rest of the team gets paid.

Everyone gets signed this offseason and all will be below what we assume they should get paid.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Last of the 3 gets the bridge contract. That should light a fire under their asses haha.

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
I think that the Leafs are on the verge of showing the rest of the league what it takes to keep a potential championship team together. Everyone takes a little less so that they can fit all of the pieces in. Kadri and now Tavares has set the precedence. I suspect that the others will follow suit.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I was listening to the Leafs Report podcast a while back and Mirtle was saying that he didn't think Marner's contract will be signed this offseason and that he would most likely be betting on himself. I'm wondering what everyone else thinks because imo he's the trickiest to gauge. Especially if we go by early reports about how he was looking for Eichel money. Just wanted to see when everyone thinks he'll sign and what his potential cap hit will be.

Marner wanting Eichel money a franchise potential #1C is not happening.

Eichel and Matthews are comparables not Marner.

His 69 points are not getting him more than $7 mil so he will have to wait and bank on himself and sign later rather than sooner. If Mitch has a big year his stats propped up playing with all-star C JT all year, might see him in Leon Draisaitl territory range as a comparable contract.

Reactions: Superstar

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Can't see any reason for him to sign before next off season.
He'll be shown to be better than Eichel but won't earn Eichel money.
No reason for the Leafs to overpay because someone else did.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Mitch is gonna bet on himself and sign next offseason. Dubas should try to sign him this offseason

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Mitch is gonna bet on himself and sign next offseason. Dubas should try to sign him this offseason

Having your top young guys hungry to show they're worth superstar money - nice problem to have though? The team will benefit greatly from that scenario too.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I wonder what Dubas could offer that would entice him to sign now?

David Pastrnak put up 75 games 34-36-70 points and got 6 X $6.67 mil per.

Marner recorded 82 games 22-47- 69 points last year as a comparable at similar ages playing the same position RW.

Once that # starts getting over $7 mil for Marner, he will be in position to need to prove it first otherwise he doesn't have the stats to merit it yet.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
If Marner and Matty try to blow the bank up on these contracts, and it hurts the team, they will be crapped on buy our media and fans for being selfish, especially if those contracts costs us other players and assets.

Therefore I can't possibly see them doing this. They should come in at good value and offer the organization flexibility for other moves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad