Value of: Marner's Contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
I wouldn’t have minded them paying Marner 12 if they moved Nylander but they can’t afford both. Marner has to go otherwise they’ll continue the same issues they always had and never win.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Thank you for further proving my point
Dude you dont need stats to show that Marner is not dependent on Matthews for his play.
Nor do you need stats to show that Matthews missed games in the playoffs, due to an "Unknown" bug....i.e. Tummy Ache.
Dude was flat asked if he had the Flu and he said no. I guess the rumors about him being so hung over he couldn't get out of bed, where likely true.

I hope Marner gets to Free Agency, dude deserves to play for a fan base who has a mis-guided sense of who the whipping boy should be.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Dude you dont need stats to show that Marner is not dependent on Matthews for his play.
Nor do you need stats to show that Matthews missed games in the playoffs, due to an "Unknown" bug....i.e. Tummy Ache.
Dude was flat asked if he had the Flu and he said no. I guess the rumors about him being so hung over he couldn't get out of bed, where likely true.

I hope Marner gets to Free Agency, dude deserves to play for a fan base who has a mis-guided sense of who the whipping boy should be.
Tell me something about the way he plays the game please, you keep using stats out of context to try and pretend like you know what you're talking about. You know how Mitch plays and how effective he is ? Discuss it without referencing his numbers.

How does he play the game on and off the puck ? How is his defensive ability ? How well does he play along the boards ? How does he play in physical tight checking games ? Tell me about his 5 on 5 play ? How does he match up against different teams that use different schemes ?

If you wanna have a real discussion about it, i'm all for it. But blindly using stats is pointless, I can hockeyDB and learn as much about him as you seem to know.

RogerRogerr

May 11, 2011
Toronto
Marner should get 10.5-11M to a semi-contender and 12-13M to go feed Ovie for the record. 13.5-14M if Dubas is allowed near the phone.

Marner is very good and can bring a lot to certain teams. Maybe away from Toronto (or an intense spotlight) he can grow into a playoff performer. He gets too scared of making risky plays in the playoffs.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I don't know why you think Marner would ever accept the Nylander deal when his production has been far better than Nylander except for Nylander's......surprise surprise....contract year. Even then Marner was still more productive. There's no way Shannahan comes to the table with Nylander's contract even as a starting point. Shannahan loves his boys and will treat Marner as he has his other boys.

Marner like Nylander is coming for his contract this year. Leafs fans on HF will reconcile their weird hate for Marner with Burube being a Babcock like "great coach", bringing the best out of Marner unlike that damn Keefe (Leafs fans love to blame guys who just left the org).. Marner gets $13×8 by February, Leafs fans rejoice and claim they loved Marner all along.

Marner has gotten to play with Matthews far more. Nylander has been carrying Tavares for a few seasons now. Nylander also better in the playoffs and a better goal scorer AND the team views him as a center option.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Tell me something about the way he plays the game please, you keep using stats out of context to try and pretend like you know what you're talking about. You know how Mitch plays and how effective he is ? Discuss it without referencing his numbers.

How does he play the game on and off the puck ? How is his defensive ability ? How well does he play along the boards ? How does he play in physical tight checking games ? Tell me about his 5 on 5 play ? How does he match up against different teams that use different schemes ?

If you wanna have a real discussion about it, i'm all for it. But blindly using stats is pointless, I can hockeyDB and learn as much about him as you seem to know.
And this is exactly what I thought. You seem to be going along with the whipping boy, that most casual fans have.
To use your quote, "I would suggest your start watching the games"

You clearly dont see the fact that he is not only the best set up man the Leafs currently have, but is the best set up man they have had in nearly 20 years. Further more you dont seem to be watching the same game, if you did watch the games and paid attention to Marner, you would know that the TML's score quite a bit more when he is on Ice.....I wonder why that is?

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
And this is exactly what I thought. You seem to be going along with the whipping boy, that most casual fans have.
To use your quote, "I would suggest your start watching the games"

You clearly dont see the fact that he is not only the best set up man the Leafs currently have, but is the best set up man they have had in nearly 20 years. Further more you dont seem to be watching the same game, if you did watch the games and paid attention to Marner, you would know that the TML's score quite a bit more when he is on Ice.....I wonder why that is?
So you're clueless, apart from pulling up stats on hockeyDB and repeating them you've contributed zero so far

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Marner had no business getting the contract he did 11x6 as a pre arbitration RFA winger. That was the problem in TO. Dubas should have used his leverage more on Nylander, Matthews, and Marner, to either get more term, or lower the AAV, or both in marners case.

Marner should have been on a 9.5x8.
Nylander on a 6x6 or a 7x7
Matthews on an 11.6x8

However, people have let that skew their perception on him. As a UFA, where you don't have to give up a single other asset besides cap space to get him, he's 100% worth 12 mill.

Leafs fans who have convinced themselves that losing a legit star for nothing in UFA is a win are fools.

The problem is the marner sized gap that will be left when he leaves.

Eichel got 10 million and Marner was a better player so...

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Eichel got 10 million and Marner was a better player so...
Eichel was a CENTER who gave up 8 years of term. Maybe you could use the Eichel contract as a justification for an 11x8 to Matthews tho (although they didn't get full term on him either lmao)

To this day, no RFA winger has ever surpassed 9.5 mill except for Marner. And he was pre arbitration, AND only bought 2 years of UFA on a 6 year deal. Dubas got bent over.

Hence why Rantanen got 9.25x6 immediately after Marner signed, despite being able to use Marners contract as leverage.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
So you're clueless, apart from pulling up stats on hockeyDB and repeating them you've contributed zero so far
And yet somehow you haven't brought up a single point other then the guy sucks, so congrats.
Oh no the Hockey DB insult.....freaking Christ dude, grow up.

Strangle

May 4, 2009

I agree with this

Will never happen, but over the course of the contract Marner will be ever less effective and he has already been paid for potential and he has kind of topped out at production, imo.

I don’t think we will see Marner perform much better than what we have already seen from him

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
And yet somehow you haven't brought up a single point other then the guy sucks, so congrats.
Oh no the Hockey DB insult.....freaking Christ dude, grow up.
Again you have literally no clue what you're talking about but keep doubling down on it lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad