Value of: Marner's Contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I feel like you could get Mitch with 2 ATVs, a boat, some jet skis, and free lululemon for life. Golf membership. Oakleys negotiable.
Try harder

It will be interesting to see how Marner and Matthews do under Berube.
As a Blues fan, I tend to get excited when the TML's start making trades or giving up on players. I learned to hate the TML's while growing up watching the old Norris Division clashes.....man that was the epic "Black and Blue" division.
Anyone remember that Tampa was in the Division their first season? That was a little weird.

When you look at the last 20 years of trades between the Blues and TML's
The Leaf's have given up: Steen, Cola, Gunnarson, Jokinen, Abramov, Gaudette, 2023 1st, 2023 3rd, 2024, 2nd, 2008 3rd, Borgman, and Soshkanov

They have received: Lee Stempniak, ROR, Accari, Kyle Clifford, Jamel Mayers, Roman Polak, Johnny Pohl, Schmaltz, J Lindstrom, a 4th 2019 and 6th in 2016

Toronto has one player left in their organization as a result of these trades, Nik Abruzzese.....thats it.

The player, they received in trades from St. Louis, that was the most productive for Toronto, Roman Polak, brought back a nice haul from San Jose, and Toronto used those picks to trade for F. Anderson and S Durzi.....and Toronto quickly traded Durzi.....

Its one cluster freak after another with Toronto.
How many players does St. Louis have from those trades?

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
As as hockey fan, I like players who leave a little on the table for the team because they want to win. What I don't respect is players who go after max deals and put hand cuffs on the GM for trying to ice a complete roster that has a chance to win.

$10M or $12M for 8 years. $80M vs $96M. I chuckle when they talk about missing out on $16M but they got $80M. And that's not including what he got on the current deal.

Nylander was extremely underpaid because Tavares, Matthews, Marner got their money first. Is it Marner's turn to take the Nylander underpaid treatment? I'm curious to see how much Marner wants to stay with the Leafs and bring that cup back.
Nylander signed before Matthews and Marner.

I can't fault top players for letting their agents do their job and get top $, but I do wish Marner would jump in and prioritize staying in Toronto over an extra ~1mill/year in UFA.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
People know Marner is good, the problem is Matthews is better and Nylander is just as good, and we've paid big players WAY too much money which affects our ability to develop a deep roster. Leafs fans are done with the idea of 3 players making $10+ million per year, and we know Marner is going to ask for an increase. We need to use the money to fill the gaps we currently have.

Here's the interesting thing...

Marner was overpaid for basically all of his previous contract; partly because it was signed with the expectation of an increasing cap.

But, you now see a number of players wanting to "set the market" -- Draisaitl at $14m, Shesterkin likely topping Price, Swayman wanting to be at / near Vasilevsky's number; and you have to wonder -- if Marner was willing to do Nylander's 8x $11.5m, are they going to regret letting him walk?

Don't get me wrong, I hate the idea of doing it. I hate the idea of having to staple a $10m+ winger to $13.25m Auston Matthews. I think it's Matthews responsibility, being paid as much as he is, to make Max Domi a $6m player even though he's paid $3.75m.

But, let's say you let Marner and Tavares just walk.... what are you going to do with all that cap space? Sure, you can do a Dylan Guenther style deal for Knies, but overpaying him by $3-4m isn't going to help you win today in Matthews prime.

The Leafs have a decent crop of young forwards that they should be able to inject into the lineup over the next few years between Minten, Cowan, and Grebenkin. If the cap is $92m next year and $96m the year after, I think you can probably make the case that you can put a reasonably deep team together with those 3.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Unfortunately I think this is exactly what Toronto re signs him for.

I mean if he wants to continue being the most hated guy in toronto lol Sure.

he went from the most loved to him and his team botching their 2nd contract negotiations.

I would have fired my agent because you will never live up to it and you made the whole city turn on me.

There ways to play the PR game and signing early and a fair amount works.

He didn't have to take a bargain but signing his last deal, early, 8 years x 9 mil makes him look better.

Instead he waited and sat out, turned down 8 x 11 at the draft and pissed everyone off. He then took 6 x 10.96

terrible mismanagement

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Mmmm, this is a very murky situation for the Leafs.

They really can't afford to loose Marner for nothing but they surely won't trade him at the deadline, if the Leafs are in the playoffs (and they'll be).

I'm not sure Marner wants to stay in Toronto long term.

He's a local boy and has been a whipping boy too for their repeated playoffs lack of success.

He seemed to just push further what seem to be a inevitable divorce last summer.

Which might be good for himself, but not so for the team, he has put them in a precarious situation..
They let him walk to UFA. I don't want him back at what he will command AAV.

We can't trade him he has a NTC as far as I know. Like not even a list of teams we could trade him to.

I'd rather have the $13m cap space. I don't like the style of game he forces the team to play. Berube wants more north south play, Marner I can't see adapting to that.

I let him walk. Someone will sign him just hopefully not the Leafs.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
Maybe he wants a Stanley Cup?

If so, he could take a sweetheart deal and move on to a contender.
Toronto is almost a contender if they spent money from Marner and Tavares towards depth that shows up in the playoffs. They make the playoffs every year, they can easily make the playoffs. But contender? It’s hard with their contract structure if their stars don’t perform well in the playoffs. I don’t see how re-signing Marner would solve anything.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Maybe he wants a Stanley Cup?

If so, he could take a sweetheart deal and move on to a contender.
That would be ideal.

Jeez, I can't remember ever wanting to see a "star" player on my favoured team go somewhere else.

I guess I've become a Marner "hater"? Weird, never been that type of fan or poster on here. I just really don't have a good gut feeling about his next contract, and his style of play and how that impacts the entire game style, and doubling down on what isn't working.

Toronto is almost a contender if they spent money from Marner and Tavares towards depth that shows up in the playoffs. They make the playoffs every year, they can easily make the playoffs. But contender? It’s hard with their contract structure if their stars don’t perform well in the playoffs. I don’t see how re-signing Marner would solve anything.
Tavares isn't a problem. I'd love to keep him around on a very low AAV deal. The guy gave up the C.......clearly cares about the team.

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
That would be ideal.

Jeez, I can't remember ever wanting to see a "star" player on my favoured team go somewhere else.

I guess I've become a Marner "hater"? Weird, never been that type of fan or poster on here. I just really don't have a good gut feeling about his next contract, and his style of play and how that impacts the entire game style, and doubling down on what isn't working.

Tavares isn't a problem. I'd love to keep him around on a very low AAV deal. The guy gave up the C.......clearly cares about the team.
I agree his contract isn't as deleterious as Marner's contract but you cannot deny JT doesn't really live up to his contract at his age, and that's to be expected. When he gets re-signed at a much lower AAV that'll free up money for depth which can put Leafs over the edge in the PO's imo.

But for Marner, I don't think it's a case of 'one day he'll get it'. I just believe this player will never genuinely be an effective player in the playoffs, there's nothing for him to learn or he'd learn it by now. I think he's just a flawed player but an additional 8 mil player and 3 mil player and no Marner would help more to win the cup I bet. Just my 2cents

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad