Player Discussion Marner

Mr_Fun

FFS!
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Yeah, not a good read with half the net showing; I won't argue that. He did hit a one timer earlier on so there's that.

Maybe a phantom assist on the 1st goal as the best I can see (on my phone) is he redirected a puck to AM. At very least though, it was a good read to see that AM had a lane to the net and he let him have the puck. He also found AM in the slot earlier for a sitter than AM uncharacteristically duffed.

Pretty good bounce back game for him as the two before that were hideous by any standard.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

Former Leafs Defenseman Blames Mitch Marner for Power Play Struggles​

View attachment 922371

As Carlo Colaiacovo points out, however, with a wide-open cage, Swayman completely out of position, and the defender not in-line to block the shot, Marner opted to pass it off instead of putting the puck in the wide open cage. While he collected 3 assists in the game to give him a team-high 10 points on the year, it's situations like this that drive the city and its fan base nuts.

View attachment 922374
With a struggling power play, simplification is of the utmost importance, but the Leafs seem more content with whipping passes around then firing shots towards the net. With the likes of Marner, Auston Matthews, William Nylander, John Tavares, and Morgan Rielly among others, it's unacceptable to have just 3 power play goals to start the year and 10 goals in their last 35 regular season contests, going back to February 27th.
Holy crap why didn’t he just shoot it into the open net. It’s stuff like that why he isn’t worth his contract let alone a bigger one

Reactions: LeafSteel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad