Player Discussion Marner

Jul 10, 2003
KW
He's gonna demand full NMC, that's the part of your post that I say isn't going to happen.

Re. guys with NMC's moving, I think we've discussed this before, I don't it's as much of a non-issue as you think it is, we disagree and that's fine.
How hard can it be to move a 12.5 million dollar (overpaid) declining soft winger with significant term left on his contract and a full NMC? Did i mention the part about being a playoff ghost? He will have negative value within the first season or two of his next deal.

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
It seems likely we're going to play out the playoffs. Mitch wants to stay? Fine, go out in FA and get offers. We'll get the option to match the best.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Marner really struggling in recent losses. In the past 3 losses Marner was a team WORST -8 +/- and went 0-0-0 points.

1729869763806.png

Leafs surrendered 15 goals against in last 3 losses and Marner was on the ice for 8 of those.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Its going tyo be interesting to see if Marner is roped into the N-S uncute hockey Berube wants. Berube was asked about the between the legs pass that Mccabe tried and he said:"Our whole team is getting a little cute. We just gotta play direct," Berube said. "We don't need that kinda stuff."

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Its going tyo be interesting to see if Marner is roped into the N-S uncute hockey Berube wants. Berube was asked about the between the legs pass that Mccabe tried and he said:"Our whole team is getting a little cute. We just gotta play direct," Berube said. "We don't need that kinda stuff."
Seems like Berube is taking shots at Marner without mentioning his name.
Probably the right play because when Babcock moved him to 4th line in his 2nd season, he asked for a trade. All though maybe we want him to ask for a trade;) I really can't with him anymore

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: arso40

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

How would he play north south hockey? He’s not fast and he has no power game.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
True but the part of Marners game that cant change due too his size and strength is where bigger players literally push him off the puck and take it from him , its too easy.

Unless something changed over the summer (new coach?) he's always been the same size and strength and been able to pile up the points, play decent defense, and score a decent amount of goals.

Opposition teams are going to focus on shutting down Matthews. Matthews leads the league in shots, but is shooting around half his normal rate? Not sure that is on marner, unless the opposition is cheating large on marner-Matthews knowing marner isn't a threat to shoot that Matthews just doesn't have time and space to get a good shot away?

Not all shots are equal, so just because you get a shot away doesn't make it a good shot, especially if the keeper expects who the shooter is going to be.

The transition is a work in progress, they aren't there yet.

marner is just one piece of the forward core, Batman, Robin, The Joker and Alfred.

Last edited:
Reactions: sampollock

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
How is that gonna age? Tavares had no breakaway spede and as a result has aged horribly. I fear the same for Marner.
Its not... wasnt good to begin with. Marners playoff struggles are because his lack of speed and slow release. Players close the gap on him quickly and he panics with the puck because he doesnt want to get hit. Nylander doesnt have the dame problem because opposing players cant catch him, and if he needs time to get going from 0, he has the strength to hold them off until he gets going. Hes also 20lbs heavier than Marner, which helps.

Apparently Marners genetics prevent him from putting on muscle (marner fans on this board tell me that anyway)...yet Marner having a good offsesson was oddly the talk of the team and management lol.

Reactions: stickty111

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Marner really struggling in recent losses. In the past 3 losses Marner was a team WORST -8 +/- and went 0-0-0 points.

View attachment 921440

Leafs surrendered 15 goals against in last 3 losses and Marner was on the ice for 8 of those.
Marner’s d rises to the top during the playoffs as his plus minus stats indicate, +11 over the last 3 seasons more than twice as good as anybody else. This is just regular season

Mar 26, 2010
Marner is not a Berube type of player. Berube will also not take any of Paul Marners BS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad