Player Discussion Marner

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
I'd much rather Rantanen over Marner.

If Shesterkin were available that would also be way better than Marner, even if we paid 12.5 for Shesterkin and got Marner for 11.

You would think Marner would come out on fire in his contract year, but he hasn't done that at all. I'd just prefer the cap space over him, he had nearly a decade to get it done, he didn't so barring a massive playoffs from him, bringing him back would be absolutely insane.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
11.5m for him or Nylander are both not reasonable but since that's done. The next best thing would be under 12m without all the NMC nonsense. That won't happen and so it's matching Willy at 11.5m.

Losing assets for nothing is pretty bad in general and if it comes to that I sure hope a more cost effective or better player is coming back.

MM and WN get the the harshest criticism for the way they fought to be so highly paid. Matthews is the best goal scorer in the league and a darn good C. Nothing was going to limit that payday except going back in time and JT not being brought in.
Mmm...Not so sure negotiations wouldn't look a lot like that. Management does seem to have taken a different approach. I could see the unhappy middle being:

We'll sign you to a contract in and around $12M, Mitch, but you're not getting a full NMC this go around.

And I could see the clause being the sticking point.

It would represent a way for everyone to save face and go their own way.

Reactions: thewave

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Sample size for 2024 was only a few games and Marner barely gets any shots on net. i know he didnt even record a shot in at least one...but when he does, they are far from the net. If he went to the net more (physical area) chances are he'd score more. Doesn't get much worse.

Wasn't it Gretzky #1 that said "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take"? Someone tell Gretzky #2.
Sorry man, it could be I'm just tired today or maybe just not very bright overall lol but I don't really get the point in relation to my post? I was talking about total overall points for club history and even if some look upon them as garbage secondary assists that he was lucky to get or not he's still going to be at the top of the overall points in Maple Leafs history if he stays.

I 100% agree with you that if he went to the net more he'd score more. Unfortunately that just doesn't appear to be who he is.

He's most likely still going to get paid a lot to stay here no matter what some fans think of him. I also believe they're all overpaid too but we're so far beyond that now unfortunately. They didn't right the ship when they gave Willy his massive raise.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If a Rantanen in and Marner out during free agency is available, I'd take it. A Rantanen and Matthews duo would give you a very different look while maintaining that forward heavy build, adding a 50 goal, 100 point man with Stanley Cup experience.

Reactions: 1specter

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
More importantly he could actually playmake more effectively if he was more of a scoring threat.

In the NBA and NHL, pure passers are super easy to defend. You have to attack to open up the pass. Not the other way around.

Yep, not a great shooter and an okay playmaker if you go by last year's stats.

Marner had 19 primary assists last season, 9 of which went to Matthews. He was tied for 10th in primary assists per 60 minutes, trailing playmakers like Pastrnak and superstars like Bratt, Domi, and tying with Hagel.

What's surprising is how Marner set up Matthews. In 7 of the 9 assists, Marner was either at the blueline, behind the net, at center ice, or stuck along the boards. Hardly ideal for generating scoring chances.

Here are the teams Matthews scored against with Marner’s primary assists:
- Columbus x2
- Minnesota x2
- Seattle x1
- Ottawa x1
- Buffalo x1
- NY Islanders x1
- Philadelphia x1

If you watch Matthews full highlights, Knies, Jarnkrok, Domi all set Matthews up similarly from behind the net. Matthews is just very good at sneaking into the slot.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Here's an edited version with a more concise and direct tone:

---

Yep, not a great shooter and an okay playmaker if you go by last year's stats.

Marner had 19 primary assists last season, 9 of which went to Matthews. He was tied for 10th in primary assists per 60 minutes, trailing playmakers like Pastrnak and superstars like Bratt, Domi, and tying with Hagel.

What's surprising is how Marner set up Matthews. In 7 of the 9 assists, Marner was either at the blueline, behind the net, at center ice, or stuck along the boards. Hardly ideal for generating scoring chances.

Here are the teams Matthews scored against with Marner’s primary assists:
- Columbus x2
- Minnesota x2
- Seattle x1
- Ottawa x1
- Buffalo x1
- NY Islanders x1
- Philadelphia x1

If you watch Matthews full highlights, Knies, Jarnkrok, Domi all set Matthews up similarly from behind the net. Matthews is just very good at sneaking into the slot.

This is what I have been seeing and saying the whole time. The guy is fairy dust. If we are paying him I hope it's to trade because we didn't give him a nmc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad