Player Discussion Marner

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I'm convinced that a small but very vocal minority of the fans here snapped during the Habs series and the exact moment was when Marner flipped it over the boards. They just snapped. They needed to blame someone, anyone, and it might as well be Marner because it couldn't be Matthews. After that, every game they watch they hope for Marner to have a bad game, make excuses if he has a good game and are just miserable most of the time because Marner is a superstar. I used to feel sorry for them because as you say, it REALLY is pretty funny, but now they're just wasting my time posting the same 5 talking points over and over.
False. I snapped during the Columbus series

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Can’t we all just get along. Some don’t like Mitch, some despise Mitch. Some are madly in love with Mitch.

I find it hard to believe any Leaf fan would be hoping for him to fail. Most Marner critics would gladly eat crow if he shows up in the playoffs. Please don’t throw his playoff stats on here and pretend he has been nothing more than a disappointment in the postseason.
After 8 postseasons of poor performances and a 6 year $11 million contract, I don’t see it happening. But if it did, it would take an exceptional postseason to make up for his past dreadful play. One postseason with real compete and heart, instead of bailing out and avoiding tough areas, could have been the difference between a Finals appearance and a first-round exit,especially since he plays 40% of the game and eats up 13% of the cap.

It's insulting to keep hearing from players and management that Marner "had a great offseason." It’s clear he has reputation amonst his team for barely training in the offseason—if you couldn’t tell by looking at him. When some of us have pointed out his lack of muscle and strength on the ice, Marner fans claimed he trained hard but blamed his genetics for not showing it. Just like they also claimed it was Matthews and Nylander fighting and Marner, the good leader he is, was trying to stop their argument.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
False. I snapped during the Columbus series
I flipped in the Montreal series, I recall watching game 2 or 3 and focusing enough on Marner to realize just how bad he was. I commented in the game day thread that Marner needs to play better. @Dekes For Days responded and proceeded to keep telling me I didnt know what I was talking about and Marner was one of the Leafs best players (might of even said the best). He kept rubbing the 3-1 series in my face :)...until it was 4-3 Montreal and Marner played a crirical role in the losses and collapse.

That was 2021 and here we are 5 posteasons later.

Last edited:

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
I'm convinced that a small but very vocal minority of the fans here snapped during the Habs series and the exact moment was when Marner flipped it over the boards. They just snapped. They needed to blame someone, anyone, and it might as well be Marner because it couldn't be Matthews. After that, every game they watch they hope for Marner to have a bad game, make excuses if he has a good game and are just miserable most of the time because Marner is a superstar. I used to feel sorry for them because as you say, it REALLY is pretty funny, but now they're just wasting my time posting the same 5 talking points over and over.
Marner is a superstar in the SEASON.

Looking at his post season career, he's probably not even top 30 currently in the league, never mind sniffing superstar status. If we're looking at 10 year playoff runs in the last 20 years he's not even top 50.

The guy gets paid like McDrai, plays on one of the best offenses in the league and isn't even career ppg in the playoffs.

The idea that there is anybody left defending this butter soft overpaid player is hilarious. It's so bad that if I were to point out that he ranks 205 in the league come playoff time at goals per 60 (just ahead of all time sniper Morgan Rielly), everyone would yell "but but he doesn't score goals," well he's not even setting them up either come playoff time.

Unless he was willing to take a massive pay cut (what he's actually worth come playoff time aka 7-8 million), I'd much rather Shesterkin at 13 than Marner at 11.

Jun 27, 2005

Looking at his post season career, he's probably not even top 30 currently in the league, never mind sniffing superstar status. If we're looking at 10 year playoff runs in the last 20 years he's not even top 50.

The guy gets paid like McDrai, plays on one of the best offenses in the league and isn't even career ppg in the playoffs.

The idea that there is anybody left defending this butter soft overpaid player is hilarious. It's so bad that if I were to point out that he ranks 205 in the league come playoff time at goals per 60 (just ahead of all time sniper Morgan Rielly), everyone would yell "but but he doesn't score goals," well he's not even setting them up either come playoff time.

Unless he was willing to take a massive pay cut (what he's actually worth come playoff time aka 7-8 million), I'd much rather Shesterkin at 13 than Marner at 11.

What about Matthews, Nylander and JT and the defence and the goaltending and the coaching? Nylander got $11.5 x 8 and is soft and a defensive liability, Marner will get more.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
That's some pretty bizarre shit you've invented in your head, maybe go get help.

• Wow
Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

None of the core is PPG in the playoffs

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
What about Matthews, Nylander and JT and the defence and the goaltending and the coaching? Nylander got $11.5 x 8 and is soft and a defensive liability, Marner will get more.
Matthews has been bad in the playoffs relative to his contract/potential but you don't get rid of a 6'3 center, you get rid of the soft small winger who basically makes the same as him.

Nylander actually performs about the same as his season play.

Tavares is horrendous come playoff time and should only be brought back at a league minimum.

Again though all of this doesn't excuse Marner's playoff performance.

I agree they're all varying shades of bad from worst (Tavares), to bad (Matthews/Marner) to fine (Nylander). But at the end of the day the one who is on the outside looking in is the soft small winger.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
For sure he's catching Keon this year. Will he catch Sittler in Assists by next season?

1728505726095.png

Nylander hosts a wicked watch party though!

Jun 27, 2005
Nylander actually performs about the same as his season play.

Tavares is horrendous come playoff time and should only be brought back at a league minimum.
You're right about Nylander, he's about the same as the regular season, soft and horrific defensively. At least Marner isn't a defensive liability.
Agreed on Tavares.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
You jumped the shark. You think people really care about a playoff failure over these warriors. Would take every single one of those players over Marner.

Yes, who you relate to has a lot to do with your age and the years you watched the team. Dave Keon for example has no relevance to me. I have no reverence for him, never watched him play. I understand his importance to the organization but I absolutely want to see the stars of today get those records. Want them to win the cup even more

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I flipped in the Montreal series, I recall watching game 2 or 3 and focusing enough on Marner to realize just how bad he was. I commented in the game day thread that Marner needs to play better. @Dekes For Days responded and proceeded to keep telling me I didnt know what I was talking about and Marner was one of the
Leafs best players (might of even said the best). He kept rubbing the 3-1 series in my face ..until it was 4-3 Montreal and Marner played a crirical role in the losses and collapse
Very little of that is true. After a dominant win that Marner played well in and put the Leafs up 3-1, you made a bunch of posts criticizing Marner, and I simply noted how weird that was. Not just because Marner had played well, but because you had admitted that you hadn't even watched the game you were criticizing.

Reactions: 666 and francis246

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I flipped in the Montreal series, I recall watching game 2 or 3 and focusing enough on Marner to realize just how bad he was. I commented in the game day thread that Marner needs to play better. @Dekes For Days responded and proceeded to keep telling me I didnt know what I was talking about and Marner was one of the Leafs best players (might of even said the best). He kept rubbing the 3-1 series in my face :)...until it was 4-3 Montreal and Marner played a crirical role in the losses and collapse.

That was 2021 and here we are 5 posteasons later.
Even just the eye test shows Marner has had one great series which was the 1st Boston series. The rest have been meh to awful. I get his fans will disagree but the proof is there. Plus I don't trust the fans of a player who once claimed Marner is better than McDavid, so best to ignore that section. Not too mention Leafs having him ahead of Eichel. Explains why Hunter can't find an NHL job.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Even just the eye test shows Marner has had one great series which was the 1st Boston series. The rest have been meh to awful. I get his fans will disagree but the proof is there. Plus I don't trust the fans of a player who once claimed Marner is better than McDavid, so best to ignore that section. Not too mention Leafs having him ahead of Eichel. Explains why Hunter can't find an NHL job.

Lmao so Marner didn’t pass your test?

We also have zero proof that Marner was ahead of Eichel on their draft board. (Highly doubt that’s true)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
For sure he's catching Keon this year. Will he catch Sittler in Assists by next season?

View attachment 914074
Tiny Keon won the Conn Smythe for shutting down the much bigger Beliveau.

Maybe marner's role should be shutting down the top opposition player?

Keon was the Leafs leading scorer the last Cup team (regular season) (3 times was leading scorer for team), and focused on defense / shutting down to win that Conn Smythe.

I think marner is smart enough to play that role.

Reactions: Roo

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Tiny Keon won the Conn Smythe for shutting down the much bigger Beliveau.

Maybe marner's role should be shutting down the top opposition player?

Keon was the Leafs leading scorer the last Cup team (regular season) (3 times was leading scorer for team), and focused on defense / shutting down to win that Conn Smythe.

I think marner is smart enough to play that role.

He could. He tends to be on for more goals for than against.

Lmao so Marner didn’t pass your test?

We also have zero proof that Marner was ahead of Eichel on their draft board. (Highly doubt that’s true)
They were glad they didn't need to choose between the two is what I was told.
Has Marner had a better career than Eichel?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad