Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
We've had family discussions about that ... consensus seems to be lose early and move on.

Getting 10 feet from the finish line in first place to be passed at the last minute ... brutal.

Be interesting to see how many recent Cup losers subsequently win within 3 years.
I saw the Leafs win the cup twice and reach the Conference Finals six times since. Those deeper runs at least created some hope and excitement around the team. Eight years with only one playoff series victory is my most disheartening period of being a Leaf fan because of the talent the team drafted and it’s failure to come up big when it counted. Breaking through and at least getting to a cup final will be a huge improvement. Keep doing that and eventually they will win a cup.

Reactions: ToneDog

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
His agent already showed he will use the media.
He won't. This management will use the Media RIGHT BACK AT HIM. I'd tell Marner's shitty agent if I was Tre that I WILL USE THE MEDIA against him if *I* feel the leak was from Camp Marner.

All season long they will leak outrageous numbers while also publicly saying they don't want to talk about it in season. Every loss Marner will be boo'd. Fans will rip him apart when we hit those 5 game losing streaks in season every team hits.
He needs to go before the season. For his Mitch's sanity.

If Mitch thinks it will go well refusing to be traded he is dumb as a post *AND* his agent is dumber.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
He won't. This management will use the Media RIGHT BACK AT HIM. I'd tell Marner's shitty agent if I was Tre that I WILL USE THE MEDIA against him if *I* feel the leak was from Camp Marner.

He needs to go before the season. For his Mitch's sanity.

If Mitch thinks it will go well refusing to be traded he is dumb as a post *AND* his agent is dumber.

It's gonna be fine for him.

It's the sanity of the crazy fans and crazy media you should be concerned about.

Mitch has a puppy, $$$ and a beautiful wife.

Why would he care what basement dwellers think?

Reactions: Kazparov

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
CJ reporting that not much happening on the Marner front. Leafs not approaching him blah blah blah. Could be a Leafs sending a message to teams that they will not ne giving him away. With two weeks to July 1st, Tre should moving his ass on the Marner front or Marner will be putting up 100 points this year and shitting the bed in April.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
It's gonna be fine for him.
It won't. Returning to the Leafs *WILL* tank his long term value.
Surely he's not interested in that ?

CJ reporting that not much happening on the Marner front.
lol.
NOTHING will be reported.
Nothing will be done until July 1, 2024.

Tre said, "We won't be doing a play by play"

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
We are getting close to july 1. So far it doesnt seem like we are trading him…..

Marner and Leafs are playing a very slippery slope if they think the fans will be accepting of this. Whether that be he plays with no extension or even with an extension. Fans are pissed. He actually might get booed.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
We are getting close to july 1. So far it doesnt seem like we are trading him…..

Marner and Leafs are playing a very slippery slope if they think the fans will be accepting of this. Whether that be he plays with no extension or even with an extension. Fans are pissed. He actually might get booed.
Unless someone thinks its worthwhile to intentionally leak that they are in talks, its too early to expect to hear anything yet. As has been discussed, the big bonus is paid July 1 after which his salary owing will be $775k. Realistically he won't change hands until after that which would also mean no picks in play from this years draft. Theoretically I guess they could under the table deal for the recipient club to draft the player(s) they want and transfer but that seems a reach.

I don't think the Leafs have to reach out to any clubs because any teams with a desire and the assets will have probably made their calls already. Do any of them benefit from their interest being leaked, players knowing they might be outbound, and then the club fails to close a deal? There could still be a leak but that's not automatic.

Clock starts after the draft IMO with July 1st as the earliest possible time for anything to happen.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
I don't know if I posted this but here's my position.

TRADE MARNER

Just getting in my daily rep, like this savage.

1331660438_bike_wheelie_bench_pressing.gif

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It's not that big of a deal really, just replace him with someone else's "walk away without return". Our "walk away without return" has a super inflated perception of his worth and is a playoff dud. Other teams "walk away without returns" are because the team is cheap (Carolina) and not because they're not worth it. The Leafs aren't cheap, just the opposite, they overpay. If you're kicking a player off a team that overpays, that says something.
That’s true, but they’ve already wasted so much trying to help this core that it’s sin to get nothing but cap space for a Marner level asset.

Why do you believe that is some sort of deadline?
Not a deadline, but the date make sense for a variety reasons.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Dreger stuff :laugh:. Would he say anything else? Whether its him shilling for the Marners or its the club hinting at this to maintain a "we don't need to trade him" position it doesn't have a factual basis. He's not sure Tre wants to trade Mitch.

Dreger is the mouthpiece for Marner and his camp. Whatever he’s saying about the situation is what Mitch wants. He wants to stay, so they send Dreger out to talk about how Tree may not want to deal him and may re-sign him.

Regardless, Mitch has all the power here unfortunately.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Luke Fox on Mitch Marner - "I think the Maple Leafs are open to moving him for the right deal, but I do not think they want this to get public, I don't think they want this to get dirty, I think they want to work with Mitch Marner, and I think a great example is how Brad Treliving worked Matthew Tkachuk's exit out of Calgary. The player had all the leverage but he wanted it to be amicable. He worked with Tkachuk and asked where do you want to go and let me see if I can find a trade that will work for the team."

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Pretty sure the leafs arent too worried about a few vocal malcontents denting their business. Hard to imagine people actually believe that the leafs would be boycotted. It costs fans 20% more to attend a game than a hab fan and this team still sells out. There isnt any slippery slope.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Dreger out there shilling for marner camp. he is pushing the idea that Tre would rather sign marner than trade him.

WTF is this shit? f*** Dreger that shill is one of the major reason why Leafs' cap structure is garbage. He was the one yelling from roof tops about Matthews and Marner contracts will be 11+ AAV

FU Dreger you pos

If the Leafs wanted to extend Marner rather than trade him , wouldn’t they be talking extension ? Doesn’t make any sense

Technically they can't until July 1st.

That said, given Treliving's demeaner/approach in terms of contract talks:

For Matthews and Nylander: "Our priority is to get those signed"

For Marner: "We are not going to make a trade for the sake of making trade to beat our chest and say look we did something. It has to make sense for us. Marner controls a lot of what can be done"

It is pretty obvious at least to me that Marner is not in the Leafs' future. If ShanaCON forces this bullshit on the Leafs, I am gonna be super pissed

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
CJ reporting that not much happening on the Marner front. Leafs not approaching him blah blah blah. Could be a Leafs sending a message to teams that they will not ne giving him away. With two weeks to July 1st, Tre should moving his ass on the Marner front or Marner will be putting up 100 points this year and shitting the bed in April.

Marner ain't putting up 100 points if Berube is selling the "TEAM FIRST" mentality and "DEFENSE FIRST" attitude.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Dreger stuff :laugh:. Would he say anything else? Whether its him shilling for the Marners or its the club hinting at this to maintain a "we don't need to trade him" position it doesn't have a factual basis. He's not sure Tre wants to trade Mitch.

Dreger is the mouthpiece for Marner and his camp. Whatever he’s saying about the situation is what Mitch wants. He wants to stay, so they send Dreger out to talk about how Tree may not want to deal him and may re-sign him.

Regardless, Mitch has all the power here unfortunately.

GP-WHorbEAIir87

Last edited:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I saw the Leafs win the cup twice and reach the Conference Finals six times since. Those deeper runs at least created some hope and excitement around the team. Eight years with only one playoff series victory is my most disheartening period of being a Leaf fan because of the talent the team drafted and it’s failure to come up big when it counted. Breaking through and at least getting to a cup final will be a huge improvement. Keep doing that and eventually they will win a cup.
LA, Van, Buf, Car............what were the other 2 ?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00