2024 NHL Draft Thread Part 2 - Picks 2 & 18 in the 1st Round

Who do we take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
Is the Hawks forward group really stacked that Demidov is viewed as a luxury pick?
this is the kind of argument (in the form of a rhetorical question) for taking demidov i don't put much stock in. it doesn't really matter if the forward group is stacked or not. you take him if you think in the long term he will be a higher impact player than the alternatives, not to fill a need.

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
Is the Hawks forward group really stacked that Demidov is viewed as a luxury pick?
Not in the least, and if Davidson is serious when he says the Blackhawks don't care much about handedness for their dmen then Levshunov is far more of a luxury pick.

It's all moot though. You don't care about luxury picks at 2nd overall. BPA.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Fun fact about Bob Mckenzies rankings relative to the Hawks;

In the first round (since 2017) the blackhawks have only drafted 1 player higher on Bob's list than the Hawks actual draft position. That was last year when the Hawks drafted Oliver Moore at 19 when he was ranked on Bobs list at 13. All of the Hawks other picks have had a lower consensus ranking (considered a reach by the consensus of 10 scouts)

• Wow
Reactions: EddieTheEagle

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland

In the first round (since 2017) the blackhawks have only drafted 1 player higher on Bob's list than the Hawks actual draft position. That was last year when the Hawks drafted Oliver Moore at 19 when he was ranked on Bobs list at 13. All of the Hawks other picks have had a lower consensus ranking (considered a reach by the consensus of 10 scouts)
Interesting info

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Its a god damn shame we didn't get #1 pick

Wouldn't have to go thru this and could have spent the last 6 weeks arguing about who to take with TB pick
We must trust in the process of @Rooh.

They/them work in mysterious was unbeknownst to idiots like us. Perhaps they have a more grand plan in the coming drafts. It will all be revealed when it is meant to be.

Have faith, my brother in Rooh.

• Love
Reactions: Rooh

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

Those are almost all Bowman picks, so I don’t know if there’s anything meaningful to infer from that info.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

I thought Nazar was top 10 on many lists, not Bob's though? Where was he?

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
22 list

1 Juraj Slafkovsky TPS (SM Liiga Jr.)
2 Shane Wright Kingston (OHL)
3 Logan Cooley USA U-18 (USHL)
4 Simon Nemec Nitra (SVK)
5 Cutter Gauthier USA U-18 (USHL)
6 David Jiricek Plzen (CZE)
7 Joakim Kemell JYP (SM Liiga)
8 Jonathan Lakkerimaki Djurgardens (SWE J-20)
9 Matt Savoie Winnipeg (WHL)
10 Marco Kasper Rögle (SHL)
11 Kevin Korchinski Seattle (WHL)
12 Pavel Mintyukov Saginaw (OHL)
13 Conor Geekie Winnipeg (WHL)
14 Danila Yurov Magnitogorsk (KHL)
15 Frank Nazar USA U-18 (USHL)
16 Brad Lambert JYP (SM Liiga)
17 Jimmy Snuggerud USA U-18 (USHL)
18 Jiří Kulich Karlovy (CZE)
19 Ivan Miroshnichenko Omsk (VHL)
20 Isaac Howard USA U-18 (USHL)
21 Liam Öhgren Djurgardens (SWE J-20)
22 Noah Östlund Djurgarden (SWE J-20)
23 Owen Pickering Swift Current
24 Denton Mateychuk Moose Jaw (WHL)
25 Ryan Chesley USA U-18 (USHL)
26 Lian Bichsel Leksands (SHL)
27 Rutger McGroarty USA U-18 (USHL)
28 Nathan Gaucher Quebec (QMJHL)
29 Luca Del Bel Belluz Mississauga (OHL)
30 Filip Mesar Poprad (SVK)
31 Sam Rinzel Chaska High (USHS)
32 Tristan Luneau Gatineau (QMJHL)

Reactions: ClydeLee

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I thought Nazar was top 10 on many lists, not Bob's though? Where was he?
Nazar was 15 on Bobs list. I find it quite common that KD tends to lean more towards players that amateur scouting services like Eliteprospects prefer, but tends to shy away from players that are ranked higher from pro scouting services like hockeyprospect

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
1719413738578.png

1719413757329.png

2023 List

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I don't think that's much a anything then with Nazar being 2 back.

I'm actually shocked Rinzell was 31st on Bobs list. We got him 25th, but the way many talked about him it was like he was not a 1st round target at all.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
are there guys that are on any top 50 that the hawks might just scratch off their list right away for skating or other reasons because that will obviously shift the board right there...or do we think its the case that the hawks have no dnds on any top 50

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
This brings me to another point. Hockeyprospect is a prestigious NHL draft company that has ties with NHL teams and gets some of their employees hired by actual NHL teams. What we have seen so far from KD is that he tends to draft much differently (albeit small sample) than their rankings;

Korchinski ranked 13 pick 7
Nazar ranked 16 pick 13
Rinzel ranked 32 pick 25
Moore ranked 25 pick 19
Levshunov ranked 10 (likely picked 2)
Demidov ranked 4 (might get picked 2)

It would be on par for the Hawks to draft a player they like less at pick 18. Some of the names mentioned for the Hawks that would fit that description would be players like Hage, Boisvert, Solberg, or Eiserman.

Hockeyprospect is a good site, but they always have a unique opinion that looks much more like a real NHL teams board and I'm sure all other NHL team's boards would disagree with theirs

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
5 Bowman picks & 4 KD picks. Thats including the Oliver Moore pick
You also left out Bedard, who obviously was taken in the same spot Mackenzie had him. So that’s 3/2 for KD over only a two year period. I just don’t think that’s meaningful data to read the tea leaves.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
are there guys that are on any top 50 that the hawks might just scratch off their list right away for skating or other reasons because that will obviously shift the board right there...or do we think its the case that the hawks have no dnds on any top 50
Davidson said a bit ago they have flexibility and they might target guys they may of not been after in the past.

He seemed to hint they might change up their must be high end skater/motor view criteria

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
Not to rehash this but I would be pretty shocked if they pick Connelly with the org's current PR posture.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Davidson said a bit ago they have flexibility and they might target guys they may of not been after in the past.

He seemed to hint they might change up their must be high end skater/motor view criteria
Right just last year Donaghy made it sound like they condense their draftable pool with something as simple as skating/motor...IDK why they would change up their philosophy on that after 2 draft classes but I could see how that would shift their board versus aggregators that are keeping the entire pool intact

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad