Marner Predictions - What Happens Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Happens With Marner Now

• Total voters

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
First, I said 'maybe', second, why wouldn't teams try to get all the information they can, and third, why are you being so obtuse?
Just asking a simple question. I find the notion that Teams get their information on a player from another teams press conference ridiculous.
Why are you being so defensive? it's a sign of insecurity.

You can always take the option of not answering if you can't formulate an informative response.

If Marner gets 14+, the entire management team, including Shanahan, should be terminated. I can't believe Treliving is that stupid.
He's not getting that, come on.

Reactions: bax

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Just asking a simple question. I find the notion that Teams get their information on a player from another teams press conference ridiculous.
Why are you being so defensive? it's a sign of insecurity.

You can always take the option of not answering if you can't formulate an informative response.
Simple questions to which you already admitted to knowing the simple answers?

I'm not being defensive or insecure. I'm just pointing out that your repeated inane questions are pointless at best, and likely just intended to be annoying.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Simple questions to which you already admitted to knowing the simple answers?

I'm not being defensive or insecure. I'm just pointing out that your repeated inane questions are pointless at best, and likely just intended to be annoying.
Sadly, winner winner chicken dinner……..

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
In this day and age, why wouldn’t NHL front offices keep tabs on each other and what is said in the media?
What would they have learned today that they didn't already know?

Beyond all that, you feel that a players value could be affected by what him team says about him in a press conference?
They don't 'pump tires' in a press conference, they do it on the ice.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Yep, how good would Marners 8.5x8 that Dubas declined look right now?
like 1M overpaid? :DD🤣🤣

Meh. this will be the least inspiring for me as a Leafs fan. Have little interest in this core.

Crosby showed what a winner does when he took a discount to stay with the Pens. Yes past his prime but he is still a $10M+ player on the open market.

There is a reason he will retire and have multiple Cup rings to show off to others while Leaf players in all likelihood will have an NHL Almanac to pass around and show off their regular season stats.

For the record, Crosbys name will also be all over that same book.

The difference between winners and losers. Jordan took less than he was worth for years (until he finally received a $25M a year contract), the endorsements he picks up for being a 6 time champion more than made up for it.

^^
This. 100%.

I'd would like to hear more about the book. Auston is the only one featuring in a book that has Crosby in it.

A chapter about Selke hopefuls?
Wouldn't be a surprise to see him signed by Opening Day.

Spam all you want, no one wants Mitch back at the cap hit it would take.

Reactions: rumman
Jul 10, 2003
KW
It would be idiotic to sign him before we see what he’ll do post season, so that’s exactly what Tre will no doubt do……..
Exactly this. If he has another dissapointing playoffs, i highly doubt teams will be lining up to give him a similar cap hit to what he's currently getting. Not to mention, he'll be getting 7 years from others vs 8 from us. Re signing is still a terrible plan but at least wait til the market can set his price (which will be lower than what we nornally pay).

Reactions: rumman

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I could actually see him getting signed quickly here. Slightly above Nylander.

Excited to see how Berube's "north south" philosophy translates to the skill guys, particularly Mitch. Liked that Berube praised his defensive game.

Beyond all that, you feel that a players value could be affected by what him team says about him in a press conference?
I guess his teammates praise today, mirroring the brass, was pumping his trade value too. This place is a farce sometimes, watching everyone fit things into flawed narratives.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I could actually see him getting signed quickly here. Slightly above Nylander.

Excited to see how Berube's "north south" philosophy translates to the skill guys, particularly Mitch. Liked that Berube praised his defensive game.

I guess his teammates praise today, mirroring the brass, was pumping his trade value too. This place is a farce sometimes, watching everyone fit things into flawed narratives.
It's crazy the things they come up with. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It's crazy the things they come up with. :laugh:
Yoy can tell Berube is genuinely excited to coach Marner. Everyone is saying he worked his ass off this summer, I take it at face value when the brass merely says the same thing.

I think they explored trade scenarios, Shanny kind of alluded to it being a consideration. That is a normal course for a failed opportunity. I think they concluded, as I did, you were never getting a proper return, you can't replace unique talent and they decided the best was to keep him. Hence why I think a deal gets done sooner than later. With JT coming off next year and the cap, Nylander money is a workable model.

Reactions: francis246

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Yoy can tell Berube is genuinely excited to coach Marner. Everyone is saying he worked his ass off this summer, I take it at face value when the brass merely says the same thing.

I think they explored trade scenarios, Shanny kind of alluded to it being a consideration. That is a normal course for a failed opportunity. I think they concluded, as I did, you were never getting a proper return, you can't replace unique talent and they decided the best was to keep him. Hence why I think a deal gets done sooner than later. With JT coming off next year and the cap, Nylander money is a workable model.
Of course that was taken to mean that this was the first summer he trained. :laugh:

Reactions: DarkKnight

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

You’re being way too defensive of the Marner angle… all I’m saying is there’s no reason another team wouldn’t listen in on a public press conference for whatever reason: get a pulse on the competition, random information and just knowledge for the sake of it.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
As much as I think it's a true mark of a champion to start caring about your off season training solely when you're up for a new deal in your 9th season of pro hockey. Our boy Dubas reset the market with the Crosby deal

8.69x2 for Mitch

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
MAtthews praises Marner for dealing with the noise this summer and said hes had a great offseason to prepare himself.

1) nobody says the noise is regarding a new contract (which is important)
2) Matthews praises Marner for working hard this offseason.

Alot of people praisong Marner for putting in the work this offseason. Wow.. sure sounds like skinny Marner doesnt usually work hard in the offseason. Hmm who would have thought, and here I was told its genetics.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You’re being way too defensive of the Marner angle… all I’m saying is there’s no reason another team wouldn’t listen in on a public press conference for whatever reason: get a pulse on the competition, random information and just knowledge for the sake of it.
I used to think this guy was Paul Marner, now I think he might be Mitch himself…….

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
The 'Marner angle' is why it was brought up.
Some feel that Shanahan was pumping Marner for a trade to teams unaware that he's a 100 point player.
I was wondering how that worked and the insecure lost their minds as their known to do.

Teams could listen if they like and may but they'll have their own ways of determining a players value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad