Marner Predictions - What Happens Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Happens With Marner Now

• Total voters

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Shanahan just said that Marner has had a great off-season. Well hell, watch out world! I can only imagine the fear enveloping the other franchises in the NHL right about now. :rolleyes:
Also said he’s a 100 point player which technically is bullshit. Shanahan pumping Mitch’s tires before camp even starts tells me they’re running it back with him, cap be damned………

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Also said he’s a 100 point player which technically is bullshit. Shanahan pumping Mitch’s tires before camp even starts tells me they’re running it back with him, cap be damned………
Yeah I noticed that 100 points nonsense too but perhaps the biggest news is that according to the puppet master behind the Shanaplpan, Marner has grown from a boy to now being a man. On one hand, that sounds like good news but on the other hand, if they were willing to pay him 11 million a year as a boy, I can only imagine what his next contract might look like. I heard someone suggest 14+ million and while my first thought was no way, more like 12+ would be my guess I now realize that his last contract ended up being about 2 million a year more than I was expecting so maybe 14+ will end up being the number.

In any case, it was weird to see praise being heaped on a guy who's performance in the biggest playoffs games has never been great, and seems to be getting even worse.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

I don’t think they are bringing JT back, all the moves feel like they are preparing to transition from JT. I think management doesn’t want to walk away from good players. I do think this is going to be a good year but we’ll see how they do under Berube. His presser gave off a good vibe. Lines seem like they will be more balanced. If we have Grebby, Minten, Cowan, McMann, Robertson, Knies all take steps as forwards we don’t need 22 mill. JT’s 11 mill can be reinvested immediately into defense.

Marner staying I think has little to do with his actual performance this year and which forwards take steps. If we get 3 or 4 of those guys become legit 20 goal scorers & Woll or Stolarz becomes an answer in net. I can 100% see them running it back and continuing to upgrade defense through UFA.

Reactions: bax

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I don’t think they are bringing JT back, all the moves feel like they are preparing to transition from JT. I think management doesn’t want to walk away from good players. I do think this is going to be a good year but we’ll see how they do under Berube. His presser gave off a good vibe. Lines seem like they will be more balanced. If we have Grebby, Minten, Cowan, McMann, Robertson, Knies all take steps as forwards we don’t need 22 mill. JT’s 11 mill can be reinvested immediately into defense.

Marner staying I think has little to do with his actual performance this year and which forwards take steps. If we get 3 or 4 of those guys become legit 20 goal scorers & Woll or Stolarz becomes an answer in net. I can 100% see them running it back and continuing to upgrade defense through UFA.
that's a lot of IF's.............

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
that's a lot of IF's.............
well that's sports and the world my friend lmao, is it not? everything is an IF. we don't have crystal balls, know one knows what can happen this year. Of course there are trends and things data suggests could happen, but the reality in sports is teams have to have a lot of shit go right in order to win, favourable match ups, productivity from your top players, goaltending, you need your depth players to step, even a bit of luck goes into winning. It's why teams don't win multiple times anymore, the days of Pittsburgh, LA, Chicago is over. Most teams get 1 shot, maybe 2 shots at it to get a cup.

This year I have the Rangers and Leafs in the Eastern conference final. I think both those teams will be division winners and meet. I don't see Florida making 3 straight cup finals, they've lost quite a few guys and had perfect health outside of Ekblad last year.

Reactions: rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Yeah I noticed that 100 points nonsense too but perhaps the biggest news is that according to the puppet master behind the Shanaplpan, Marner has grown from a boy to now being a man. On one hand, that sounds like good news but on the other hand, if they were willing to pay him 11 million a year as a boy, I can only imagine what his next contract might look like. I heard someone suggest 14+ million and while my first thought was no way, more like 12+ would be my guess I now realize that his last contract ended up being about 2 million a year more than I was expecting so maybe 14+ will end up being the number.

In any case, it was weird to see praise being heaped on a guy who's performance in the biggest playoffs games has never been great, and seems to be getting even worse.
180 degree turn from what was said in the post season presser, hard to know what's a lie and what's the truth with this lot, and Tre just sits there like a good puppy as his master spins another yarn for Leaf Nation to eat up. Our only hope is Berube doesn't become corrupted as easily as the GM..........

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
well that's sports and the world my friend lmao, is it not? everything is an IF. we don't have crystal balls, know one knows what can happen this year. Of course there are trends and things data suggests could happen, but the reality in sports is teams have to have a lot of shit go right in order to win, favourable match ups, productivity from your top players, goaltending, you need your depth players to step, even a bit of luck goes into winning. It's why teams don't win multiple times anymore, the days of Pittsburgh, LA, Chicago is over. Most teams get 1 shot, maybe 2 shots at it to get a cup.

This year I have the Rangers and Leafs in the Eastern conference final. I think both those teams will be division winners and meet. I don't see Florida making 3 straight cup finals, they've lost quite a few guys and had perfect health outside of Ekblad last year.
I have no doubt the Leafs could win their division, beyond that I have zero faith in them succeeding in the post season..........

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

If all those forwards take steps forward, doesn't that bolster the case for allocating Marner's cap space to beef up the D?

Edit - I'm also not sure I see them walking away from JT. He's good player and if as you say they don't want to walk away form good players, that suggests they'd keep him. For me, as always it depends on the cap hit. If JT wants 7/8 million for 5 years, I want no part of the but 5 million for 3 years would be a good deal.

Last edited:

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge

If Marner gets 14+, the entire management team, including Shanahan, should be terminated. I can't believe Treliving is that stupid.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If Marner gets 14+, the entire management team, including Shanahan, should be terminated. I can't believe Treliving is that stupid.
On one hand, it's hard to see that happening. But then again, I was shocked to see his last contract for 11 when I was expecting 9, and it being 6 years instead of 7 was just adding insult to injury.

Tre might be that stupid, or maybe he's not. But I'm not sure who calls the shots in this circus and if it's Shanahan and he says pay him whatever he's asking for, hard to see Tre doing anything but falling in line.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, we'll see.

Reactions: HolyCrap and rumman

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Prediction
  • Marner gets over 100 points and his supporters say I told you so all year as if his regular season production was ever a concern
  • He'll get north of 12.5Mx8 years at the apex of his point streak while the team is feeling good
  • We'll lose in round 1 or early round 2
  • Many believe Marner is taking too much blame for the early exit
  • He extends in 2033

Reactions: Peasy and rumman

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Prediction
  • Marner gets over 100 points and his supporters say I told you so all year as if his regular season production was ever a concern
  • He'll get north of 12.5Mx8 years at the apex of his point streak while the team is feeling good
  • We'll lose in round 1 or early round 2
  • Many believe Marner is taking too much blame for the early exit
  • He extends in 2033

If that's the case, i'll be here

I can't take another 8 years of early playoff exits while my cell phone bill goes up and up for no reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad