Marner Predictions - What Happens Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Happens With Marner Now

• Total voters

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Not in the playoffs, not when it matters…….
Can’t be because there are no pay checks during the playoffs because they get paid peanuts in the regular season.
If you look at his actions throughout his life you get a glimpse at what his priorities are and I think it’s safe to say he’s hit the bullseye.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
the very definition of class............

Remember that sid took 17.3% of the cap.

Then took what 112 million when he had massive head injury/neck concerns.

He is taking 10% now at 37. I would love to sign him for that of course. But it’s not like he always took Less at all.

Reactions: bax

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

He is taking 10% now at 37. I would love to sign him for that of course. But it’s not like he always took Less at all.
He always took less than he could have gotten because he was smart enough to know what he left on the table would help the TEAM and that’s how you win a cup. The greedy four here won’t win shit unless they’re parachuted into a team at the deadline and win one as a mercenary. Nothing wrong with chasing as much money as you can, but lets call a spade a spade………

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I realize Matthews’ AAV is obviously very high and that invites comments like this to some extent but he’s in no way overpaid

He has been one of the 3 best players in the entire league as voted by his peers 3 of the last 4 years.

He just scored 69 goals while also being a Selke finalist.

He is the odds on favorite to win the rocket in any season he’s healthy and good chance he wins it by a fair margin. He is an incredibly rare player.
I could live with the AAVs Matthews get dog they were on 7-8 year terms. I don’t like this nba style of contracts where it’s 4-5 years so you can resign for more quicker. Doesn’t scream team player to me

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
He always took less than he could have gotten because he was smart enough to know what he left on the table would help the TEAM and that’s how you win a cup. The greedy four here won’t win shit unless they’re parachuted into a team at the deadline and win one as a mercenary. Nothing wrong with chasing as much money as you can, but lets call a spade a spade………

But so sid Matthews. Matthews could get more.

All top players could get more. Brad Richard’s took 20%.

• Haha
Reactions: bax and rumman

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I’m as big of a Crosby fan as they come but this is not really reality imo.

17.3%
Then he took a 12 year deal which is the only reason his cap hit wasnt significantly higher.
Now he’s probably the highest paid late 30s player we’ve seen in a very long time (in terms of freshly extended)

Reactions: bax

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I could live with the AAVs Matthews get dog they were on 7-8 year terms. I don’t like this nba style of contracts where it’s 4-5 years so you can resign for more quicker. Doesn’t scream team player to me

Matthews over all signed for 9 years at 12.34. Which is slightly lower than McDavid. Got an extra year and he gave the slight discount of 11..634 in the first half. That would have been 14.77% of the cap.

Crosby signed for 17.3% his first 5 years. McDavid was 16.7% x8. Matthews was 14.77% x9.

Auston Matthews is a top 2 player in the league who is by far the best goal scorer in the game. (Top 6 all time) a shot blocking selke level defense center.

He isn’t as good as McDavid or Crosby of course. But Matthews sifned for 9 years post ELC At a fair rate. Even if he split it into 2

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

17.3%
Then he took a 12 year deal which is the only reason his cap hit wasnt significantly higher.
Now he’s probably the highest paid late 30s player we’ve seen in a very long time (in terms of freshly extended)

If he really cared about the Penguins and wanted to do the best thing for the team he would ask for a trade.

They all would. Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Karlsson should be begging to get out of there. Do what's best for the team, the fans, and even the players themselves.

If they don't ask to be moved to a real contender then they're just padding their stats for the HOF.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
He'll actually be age 38 and 39 for that contract.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Matthews over all signed for 9 years at 12.34. Which is slightly lower than McDavid. Got an extra year and he gave the slight discount of 11..634 in the first half. That would have been 14.77% of the cap.

Crosby signed for 17.3% his first 5 years. McDavid was 16.7% x8. Matthews was 14.77% x9.

Auston Matthews is a top 2 player in the league who is by far the best goal scorer in the game. (Top 6 all time) a shot blocking selke level defense center.

He isn’t as good as McDavid or Crosby of course. But Matthews sifned for 9 years post ELC At a fair rate. Even if he split it into 2

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My goodness this place sometimes.

Reactions: PromisedLand

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

17.3%
And for some perspective: Stanley Cup/Olympic Gold medal winner…….

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019

I guess you could look at it that way, but I don’t think it’s the best way. This means matthews took 12.34 on an 81.5 cap. That’s 15.14% of the cap vs Mcdavids 12.5 on 79.5 which was 15.72. So a one year difference but only a 200k or .58% difference in cap, you’d think they were comparable players. Mcdavid had a hart, Ross, and Pearson. Matthews had a Calder, I just don’t see how they could’ve been comparable for this. The goalscoring doesn’t make up for it, especially since Matthews didn’t even have a rocket yet.

this disregards all of the worries that happened during the time and only uses hindsight. Not to mention they weren’t comparable players, that player to Matthews at the time was eichel.

so we are going to have to disagree on either the 2 contracts being fair value separately, or combined. He should’ve gotten 11-11.5 on 8 years.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada

17.3%
Of course it’s reality. So what that he took a 12 year deal? It still keeps the cap down for his team and there really wasn’t much concern about him not living up to that contract through its entirety.

12 year deals aren’t possible anymore but our stars don’t even take 8 year deals. Matthews is out here taking short deals to maximize his earnings.

Also, highest paid late 30s player? Yeah of course he is - he’s the best we’ve seen in a long time. There are no comparables to him in recent times at his age. He’s still producing amongst some of the top in the league and is underpaid.

Stop justifying our GMs’ horrible negotiating ability and the greediness of our players.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019

17.3%
Crosby didn’t take a discount, he took a hefty AAV but those illegal ass contracts really helped as he was in his early 20s and signed through his 30s so the cap hit got better and better as he reached his peak as an athlete.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
And for some perspective: Stanley Cup/Olympic Gold medal winner…….

1.) better player gets paid more? Yes

2.) “Stanley cup/gold medal winner” tends not to actually get you paid in terms of actual salary.

McDavid has won neither. Ovy had won neither.

People were all mad a Toews contract. He won both.

I’m not disagreeing that he is clearly a better player. But the market doesn’t suggest that is what gets you paid.

I guess you could look at it that way, but I don’t think it’s the best way. This means matthews took 12.34 on an 81.5 cap. That’s 15.14% of the cap vs Mcdavids 12.5 on 79.5 which was 15.72. So a one year difference but only a 200k or .58% difference in cap, you’d think they were comparable players. Mcdavid had a hart, Ross, and Pearson. Matthews had a Calder, I just don’t see how they could’ve been comparable for this. The goalscoring doesn’t make up for it, especially since Matthews didn’t even have a rocket yet.

this disregards all of the worries that happened during the time and only uses hindsight. Not to mention they weren’t comparable players, that player to Matthews at the time was eichel.

so we are going to have to disagree on either the 2 contracts being fair value separately, or combined. He should’ve gotten 11-11.5 on 8 years.

Yes sorry. They negotiated on an 83.5 contract. I forgot they didn’t use the escalator (they were expecting 86) and it turned out to be 81.5

My mistake.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I realize Matthews’ AAV is obviously very high and that invites comments like this to some extent but he’s in no way overpaid

He has been one of the 3 best players in the entire league as voted by his peers 3 of the last 4 years.

He just scored 69 goals while also being a Selke finalist.

He is the odds on favorite to win the rocket in any season he’s healthy and good chance he wins it by a fair margin. He is an incredibly rare player.

Bottom line ... if healthy 41 regular season home games every year versus 3-6 playoffs games.

It's about being entertained more times.

Like would you like to watch just the Oscar award winning movie once a year, or watch a dozen almost Oscar worthy movies a year?

Distortion event to

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
1.) better player gets paid more? Yes

2.) “Stanley cup/gold medal winner” tends not to actually get you paid in terms of actual salary.

McDavid has won neither. Ovy had won neither.

People were all mad a Toews contract. He won both.

I’m not disagreeing that he is clearly a better player. But the market doesn’t suggest that is what gets you paid.

Yes sorry. They negotiated on an 83.5 contract. I forgot they didn’t use the escalator (they were expecting 86) and it turned out to be 81.5

My mistake.
My point isn’t he was paid because he won, it’s that he earned what he was paid because he won, what a novel concept……..

Reactions: HolyCrap

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
My point isn’t he was paid because he won, it’s that he earned what he was paid because he won, what a novel concept……..

But that’s not really true.

Winning/salary gets covered in performance bonuses.

Lucic. Seabrook. Ladd. They won. Were they good deals?
McDavid hasn’t/drai didn’t. Pasta didn’t. Are they bad deals? Was drai overpaid because he didn’t win?

The league doesn’t value players like that. Why should we?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Bottom line ... if healthy 41 regular season home games every year versus 3-6 playoffs games.

It's about being entertained more times.

Like would you like to watch just the Oscar award winning movie once a year, or watch a dozen almost Oscar worthy movies a year?

Distortion event to

I want a winning team not a entertaining team, I mean when I go to Woodbine it’s not primarily to watch the beautiful horses………..

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Yep, how good would Marners 8.5x8 that Dubas declined look right now?
true, I also see the argument people making of the risk as he was almost a 70 point player and 8.5 would’ve been a lot, but I’d much rather bet on a guy long term, especially for a player of marners hype and skill at the time.

At worst you get a Nick Suzuki/Cole caufield contract, which is fair value. At best you are looking at a draisaitl/Jack Hughes steal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad