Marner Predictions - What Happens Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Happens With Marner Now

• Total voters

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Hard pass.

I already told you Marner isn’t a player you win the cup with.

He could help another team but the Leafs aren’t able to win with him.
Are Matthews, Nylander and Tavares players you win a Cup with? I don’t think that’s a reasonable expectation.

They could make the playoffs and win a round or two and think most would be fine with that.

Reactions: LFKevin21

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I voted he walks as a UFA but my thinking is he scans the UFA market, realizes no other team will pay him as much as the Leafs, and then re-sign.

If he gets a better $$$ offer elsewhere he's gone, full stop, as he's all about the money.

If he helps lead the Leafs to a conference final or a SC final the Leafs will pay him and pay him well, probably close to the $13m he's likely hoping for, but I don't see his game taking that big of a step in the playoffs as he puts too much pressure on himself ... to his hindrance unfortunately.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
I think if he takes under 12 million then he will likely be resigned. Guessing he has a big year. Not sure how I feel about it.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Leafs will re-sign Mitchy for something like 12.5-13x8 because they are not a serious franchise.

I think it is that simple.

I hold out hope they let Marner walk. But it feels like they are just delaying the bad news that they just want to run it back.

I’m holding out hope. I’ll assume Marner isn’t a Berube guy and I wonder if coach/GM both agree that it’s time to make a change.

Reactions: rumman

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
God help us if Marner gets similar points to Leon this year. Just let him go. It's time. He wants to maximize his pay and he can do so elsewhere.
I’m there now. Points aside.

Change is required.

I don’t care if the Leafs go a few rounds in.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Are Matthews, Nylander and Tavares players you win a Cup with? I don’t think that’s a reasonable expectation
I’d let Tavares go elsewhere.

AM34 and WN88? Hard to say. Very hard to say.

They are the future core. You build around them.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I think if he takes under 12 million then he will likely be resigned. Guessing he has a big year. Not sure how I feel about it.
The worst outcome will be him having a great regular season, another garbage playoffs and then getting re-signed for top $. And then the same group of folks will try to come after you when you say you don't want to run it back for the 9th time waiting for him to justify his value in the playoffs.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
The worst outcome will be him having a great regular season, another garbage playoffs and then getting re-signed for top $.

I’ll be switching to the PWHL if that’s how it plays out.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
How many contracts would you say he’s impacted?

Toronto media in general shills for the NHL agents for some reason. Maybe kickbacks. They are stationed here after all and the presstitutes have no shame.

They even shilled for... Clarkson.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
The fact that there is any talk of bringing Marner and Tavares back after their abysmal failures for anything way below market value shows how deranged and unhinged the management is, these guys squandered nearly a decade of the most talented core ever and every single one of them is still here and still making insane dollar.

Having Matthews and Nylander back at least makes some sense, Nylander plays to his season level come playoff time and Matthews might be the most talented goal scorer in NHL history (so maybe he figures it out?) But wtf do old man Tavares and B.Marner bring? Hardly anything at all

Combined in their last 24 playoff games they have a grand total of 3 goals and 6 assists. Beyond horrendous, yet they got paid 20+ million for that pitiful performance. It cannot be overstated HOW bad these two have been.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

“Yeah, he looks awesome,” MacKinnon said. “He’s always so impressive out there. Even just playing with him [at the 2017 Worlds], he just came off his rookie year. Unreal, just so good, so talented.”

As MacKinnon explained Tuesday, during any time in his career in which the Leafs have been alive in the playoffs while the Avalanche are out or idle, he’s rooted for them because of the pressure they face in the hockey-mad Toronto market, and he’s sympathetic to Marner for the heat he has taken.

“It’s a hard league to win in and obviously I think Marner gets a lot of flak in Toronto, but he’s honestly one of the best players in the league,” MacKinnon said. “I play with some of the best players in the league, and then I skate with Marnes and he’s right up there with anyone. Especially at that Vail camp, there’s a lot of good players, and he’s stuck out as one of the best for sure.”

Reactions: DarkKnight

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I mean what was he gonna say "he's soft as a twinkie, he gets pushed around at our skates and we're going at like 60%, I can see why the Leafs don't win with twig Mitch, if he ever hits UFA, the first thing I'm doing is telling Sakic not to offer him anything over league min"
No, he wouldn't say that. That would be stupid.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
What does the league MVP know, I go for the low rent opinion of the mob mentality on a bull board.

The disconnect between reality and here, it forever makes me laugh. Nate MacKinnon, another clueless fool eh? Players, coaches, former coaches, hall of famers, all defend the guy. Journeymen nobodies looking for hits and butthurt posters on the other side. Wow, hard to pick a side 🤐.

Every year is new opportunity, Marner can turn it all around with one standout post season. I for one, hope he does it. Anyone who’s going to spend the year looking for failure, all I can say, what a world.

Reactions: ACC1224

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Don't think many are actively cheering for failure. More so a lot of people have just stopped huffing the hopium. I would love for nothing more than Mitch Marner to shut me up and make me eat crow as he carries the Leafs far into the playoffs. I personally just dont think that is much of a reality based on what ive seen with my own eyes.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
What does the league MVP know, I go for the low rent opinion of the mob mentality on a bull board.

The disconnect between reality and here, it forever makes me laugh. Nate MacKinnon, another clueless fool eh? Players, coaches, former coaches, hall of famers, all defend the guy. Journeymen nobodies looking for hits and butthurt posters on the other side. Wow, hard to pick a side 🤐.

Every year is new opportunity, Marner can turn it all around with one standout post season. I for one, hope he does it. Anyone who’s going to spend the year looking for failure, all I can say, what a world.
Can you name a single person on this board who thinks Marner sucks in the regular season?

Everyone here agrees with Mackinnon. Marner is great in low pressure situations. It’s in the playoffs where he continues to absolutely embarrass the hell out of himself, and Mackinnon has as much experience playing with/against Marner in the playoffs as the rest of us.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Don't think many are actively cheering for failure. More so a lot of people have just stopped huffing the hopium. I would love for nothing more than Mitch Marner to shut me up and make me eat crow as he carries the Leafs far into the playoffs. I personally just dont think that is much of a reality based on what ive seen with my own eyes.
Huffing on “hopium” that’s priceless…….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad