Marner Predictions - What Happens Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Happens With Marner Now

• Total voters

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Do you seek out the dumbest takes on the situation you can find or are they just delivered daily to your inbox?
That take is pretty much the consensus around the hockey world. I haven’t heard any that differ, actually.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
That take is pretty much the consensus around the hockey world. I haven’t heard any that differ, actually.
I'm sure more than 3 people care about the regular season.

I agree, it's been repeated numerous times minus that nugget of idiocy. Why bother posting something that offers nothing new?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The funny part is that a fan actually thinks he knows more about hockey then a guy who actually played in the NHL, I know he’s a season ticket holder, but if this doesn’t scream arrogance nothing does……..

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I'm sure more than 3 people care about the regular season.

I agree, it's been repeated numerous times. Why bother posting something that offers nothing new?
A slight bit of nuance and context is needed, as you very well know. Marner doesn’t have to prove himself in the regular season, and I haven’t heard anyone that has a differing opinion.

The funny part is that a fan actually thinks he knows more about hockey then a guy who actually played in the NHL, I know he’s a season ticket holder, but if this doesn’t scream arrogance nothing does……..
I suspect he didn’t listen to it.

Reactions: rumman

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
A slight bit of nuance and context is needed, as you very well know. Marner doesn’t have to prove himself in the regular season, and I haven’t heard anyone that has a differing opinion.

I suspect he didn’t listen to it.
Exactly, so it offered nothing new.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Again I’m telling what I’ve heard from people who work in the leafs org and also someone who works in Sportsnet/cbc on their broadcast team, high level. The argument was because of some set play that didn’t happen. Had nothing to do with Marner. The shot was very awkward with Bertuzzi & Marner in the middle that’s why they isolated Matthews and Nylander. Those two were arguing. Keefe said something to Matthews, which then prompted Matthews to start going after Nylander.

The Nylander quote was to Matthews, “stop f***ing crying bro, that’s the or (our) f***ing issue, people always yelling and shit” not “this isn’t junior”

The only person yelling on the bench was Matthews. So why would Nylander say that to Marner or Bertuzzi when both were just chilling in the middle? Even on the broadcast, they said the argument had to do with someone not shooting the puck. Marner never had the puck the entire possession. Clearly it was an argument between Matthews and Nylander. I know you want it to be Marner for some odd reason, but it really wasn’t.

While what you said about the Marner cross/check is true it was not related to what happened on the bench. The bench argument was about a set play Matthews, Keefe, Marner wanted and something got messed up. It was a set play they were trying to run multiple times it wasn’t just that specific power play. The argument happens during a TV timeout and continues after Matthews and Keefe have a little heated discussion.

Additionally multiple people behind the leafs bench have gone on social media to say that it was between Matthews and Nylander. So that should pretty much put it to rest. People who were there first hand were saying that.
Based on the replay and Marner berating the ref for 53 seconds about a non call... and Nylander having a front seat to it on the ice... its the only thing logical.

Marner fans want to gry to make me out to be the crazy one. I said Marner throwing his gloves os childish and also believe it was Nylander telling Marner to be quiet. Two NHL players believe the same and many others that ive read:

We all know you and a very small group of other Marner specific fans want it to not be about Marner...one of those Marner fans poster name starting with A and ending with C literally is complaining about Nylander not playing physical but defends Marner... vwry hypocritical. You wont see me doing the same. Nylander used to be a player I was critical of but he played above his pay, speaks fine to the media and while he doesnt check, he leans on opposong players. Same canr be said about Marner. There is a reason wby Marner is always turning himself off from hid social media anf i can assure you im not on his social media posting or creating all the megative buzz hes beeen gettinf for years.

Last edited:

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
It’s the goalies fault when it’s 2-2 and a soft goal is allowed in the third period that just deflates the team
Non of the goalies I mentioned could make a game saving save when needed
You tend to play a more defensive game when you have no confidence in your goalie

I suppose we can just ignore the games that some of those goalies stood on their heads to ensure several of those series went the distance

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The Leafs are speaking to *EVERYONE* but Marner.

1725631980609.png

Whoa .... I wonder what that means ?

It means he is gonzo.

Bye Mitch. GL in Columbus.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Based on the replay and Marner berating the ref for 53 seconds about a non call... and Nylander having a front seat to it on the ice... its the only thing logical.

Marner fans want to gry to make me out to be the crazy one. I said Marner throwing his gloves os childish and also believe it was Nylander telling Marner to be quiet. Two NHL players believe the same and many others that ive read:

We all know you and a very small group of other Marner specific fans want it to not be about Marner...one of those Marner fans poster name starting with A and ending with C literally is complaining about Nylander not playing physical but defends Marner... vwry hypocritical. You wont see me doing the same. Nylander used to be a player I was critical of but he played above his pay, speaks fine to the media and while he doesnt check, he leans on opposong players. Same canr be said about Marner. There is a reason wby Marner is always turning himself off from hid social media anf i can assure you im not on his social media posting or creating all the megative buzz hes beeen gettinf for years.

I don’t really care what you believe to be true, especially when it’s not true. I’m going to believe people in the organization that are in the know over you lol. Also there’s a reason why Jay Rosehill walked back his comments about the situation in subsequent episodes following his rant. Same with why Bisnasty also walked back his comments the following week on Spitting Chiclets. They both overreacted to the situation without knowing the full details.

Also I don’t care who it’s about at the end of the day. The reaction to it has been stupid. Players argue all the time and it really isn’t an indication of anything. Kessel and Malkin would go at it every shift. No one is hoping it’s not Marner but rather just clarifying a narrative that has been disproven but others are still pushing it as a narrative to make Marner look bad.

As for Nylander I see no reason to hate on him. He’s a good player. I have no issues with his play.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I don’t really care what you believe to be true, especially when it’s not true. I’m going to believe people in the organization that are in the know over you lol. Also there’s a reason why Jay Rosehill walked back his comments about the situation in subsequent episodes following his rant. Same with why Bisnasty also walked back his comments the following week on Spitting Chiclets. They both overreacted to the situation without knowing the full details.

Also I don’t care who it’s about at the end of the day. The reaction to it has been stupid. Players argue all the time and it really isn’t an indication of anything. Kessel and Malkin would go at it every shift. No one is hoping it’s not Marner but rather just clarifying a narrative that has been disproven but others are still pushing it as a narrative to make Marner look bad.

As for Nylander I see no reason to hate on him. He’s a good player. I have no issues with his play.
Show me where it was disproven, because I havent seen it. just because you and Marner supporters say it was disproven...doesnt make it true. Just an FYI thats not how it works unfortunately. I cant bekievw I have to explain this to people im presuming are adults...but I think @ACC1224 said "its common knowledge"... you realize that for it to be common knowledge, there has to be some facts our there for it to actually be considered as common knowledge? Certainly not hearsay either... Id be rich if I was paid for everytime someone on these boards said they knew someone in the org.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToneDog

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Yeah either way it’s something that happens a lot on NHL benches. Lots of players get into heated arguments. They are competitors and want to win.
Who said it doesnt? If you want to not discuss it, then dont. Lots of others do and have.

They are competitors and want to win? So a person who isnt a competitor doesnt get into arguments with others? People who dont want to win, dont argue?

Dubas once said players move on to better things when they leave Toronto and this would be another case of player doing just that, if he went to Columbus.
Curious when did Dubas say that?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Show me where it was disproven, because I havent seen it. just because you and Marner supporters say it was disproven...doesnt make it true. Just an FYI thats not how it works unfortunately. I cant bekievw I have to explain this to people im presuming are adults...but I think @ACC1224 said "its common knowledge"... you realize that for it to be common knowledge, there has to be some facts our there for it to actually be considered as common knowledge? Certainly not hearsay either... Id be rich if I was paid for everytime someone on these boards said they knew someone in the org.
So Keefe said something to Matthews. Matthews to Nylander. Nylander tells Matthews to stop crying but it is Mitch who immediately after throws a hissy fit on the bench? What am I missing?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Who said it doesnt? If you want to not discuss it, then dont. Lots of others do and have.

They are competitors and want to win? So a person who isnt a competitor doesnt get into arguments with others? People who dont want to win, dont argue?

He was talking about one of those minimum wage guys he took a flyer on and said something to the effect that if they played well the could move on to bigger and better things.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
So Keefe said something to Matthews. Matthews to Nylander. Nylander tells Matthews to stop crying but it is Mitch who immediately after throws a hissy fit on the bench? What am I missing?

No. First of all most of the argument was cut off because it happened during a TV timeout. They only put out the final moments on live TV.

During the TV timeout Keefe was basically going at PP1 for being ineffective. I don’t know exactly what he said, but I know he was pissed off with all of them. But then he talks to Matthews directly. Matthews then gets pissed off because there was a play they have been trying to do and they have not be able to make it happen and Keefe is literally chewing his ear off (so it’s safe to assume
keefe is on him about the lack of effectiveness) so he starts yelling at Nylander. Nylander responds back to Matthews with the infamous sentence but because of editing it looks like it’s at Marner but people there have posted pictures and anecdotes that Matthews and Nylander were arguing.

Marner throwing his gloves was a combination of still being pissed off at the refs, they are getting their ass kicked and everyone is being pissy and yelling. Just his way of showing frustration.

As I’ve said before my younger brother worked in MLSE, has now moved over to the Blue Jays front office staff, so was fortunate enough to meet some good people in the leafs org through him and then my former assistant coach I used to coach with works for Sportsnet and CBC in broadcast. So I trust my sources on this. The editing made the situation look way worse than it actually was.

Reactions: ACC1224

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The hyperbole used to describe throwing gloves on the bench is hilarious. Not sure why you think they're even related. It's right after a frustrating moment in a game they're losing in a series they're losing, after all the added pressure from the outcomes of past years and the market they're in. Emotions are high all around. Some players, like Malkin and Kessel (or Matthews and Nylander), yell at each other. Some players, like Marner, release their frustration in more internalized ways, like throwing gloves down. Some players, like Mackinnon, throw water bottles, yell at their coach, get so worked up that they fall off the bench, and then get praised as leaders and playoff warriors.

Reactions: bax and francis246

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He was talking about one of those minimum wage guys he took a flyer on and said something to the effect that if they played well the could move on to bigger and better things.
Oh got it, makes sense now, thanks for the context.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Why are we still talking about this?

Over it. Teammates fight when things don’t go well.

Let the new season start and let our new coach run things like the hard-ass Warden these inmates have desperately needed.

Over it.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA and bax

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

It's not an unusual scenario, my neighbour was a amateur scout for the Flames and a fan of a certain team (not the Flames), he never played in the NHL but I would take a reasonable guess that he knows more about hockey than many former NHLer's.

Two independent events connected by one failure to execute?

You do understand you answered your own question, right?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Why are we still talking about this?

Over it. Teammates fight when things don’t go well.

Let the new season start and let our new coach run things like the hard-ass Warden these inmates have desperately needed.

Over it.
Most emotion we've seen from the three when losing. It was good to see. Unfortunately Marner came out looking not so good.

Willie came out looking like he gave a shit. More please.

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Most emotion we've seen from the three when losing. It was good to see. Unfortunately Marner came out looking not so good.

Willie came out looking like he gave a shit. More please.
Actually, William may have been the guilty player as his reply to it all was just shoot the puck.

Reactions: francis246

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad