Proposal: Marner for Swayman +

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I don't see why it would be for Swayman+.

Marner is a pending UFA. He has a NMC. Both teams would be trading from a position of weakness.

It also would make sense to include Woll in the trade, because the Bruins are going to need a goalie, and it doesn't make sense for the Leafs to pay Swayman 10M, and pay Woll almost 4M to be the backup.

They also would need to bring in a third party to retain on Marner, which might not cost a lot, because he is only owed 775k in real dollars. Columbus makes sense. They could add approx. 5.45M of cap for less than 387k in real dollars. That doesn't stop them from adding a forward, but it gives them some breathing room where they fulfill the NHL's request to get to the cap floor in a reasonable time frame, while not being forced to acquire a forward in a trade that isn't ideal. It also gives them a buffer over the floor, which will be important if they end up as seller sat the TDL. Lastly, they would get a 3rd or 4th round pick to compensate them for the retention spot (typically, it's a 4th or 5th at the TDL).

So it would be something like:

Columbus Receives:
-Draft Pick to retain on Marner

Boston Receives:
-Mitch Marner (Pending UFA @ 5.45M, extension agreed upon in principle for after the trade is called in.)
-Joseph Woll (766k, then 3.666M x 3)

Toronto Receives:
-Jeremy Swayman (9M-10M x 8 year Sign and Trade)
-(Woll's value in picks+prospects)

Marner's cap out covers Swayman's cap in. Woll+Marner fit under Boston's cap and give them a small cushion to bank cap going into the deadline.

Obviously, it would never happen because it would take both Swayman and Marner being open to the trade, which is unlikely. I doubt Swayman would want to play in Canada (as most players, let alone American players don't).

Reactions: Smif

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa

Marner is a pending UFA. He has a NMC. Both teams would be trading from a position of weakness.

It also would make sense to include Woll in the trade, because the Bruins are going to need a goalie, and it doesn't make sense for the Leafs to pay Swayman 10M, and pay Woll almost 4M to be the backup.

They also would need to bring in a third party to retain on Marner, which might not cost a lot, because he is only owed 775k in real dollars. Columbus makes sense. They could add approx. 5.45M of cap for less than 387k in real dollars. That doesn't stop them from adding a forward, but it gives them some breathing room where they fulfill the NHL's request to get to the cap floor in a reasonable time frame, while not being forced to acquire a forward in a trade that isn't ideal. It also gives them a buffer over the floor, which will be important if they end up as seller sat the TDL. Lastly, they would get a 3rd or 4th round pick to compensate them for the retention spot (typically, it's a 4th or 5th at the TDL).

Columbus Receives:

Boston Receives:
-Mitch Marner (Pending UFA @ 5.45M, extension agreed upon in principle for after the trade is called in.)

Toronto Receives:

Marner's cap out covers Swayman's cap in. Woll+Marner fit under Boston's cap and give them a small cushion to bank cap going into the deadline.

Obviously, it would never happen because it would take both Swayman and Marner being open to the trade, which is unlikely. I doubt Swayman would want to play in Canada (as most players, let alone American players don't).
I think @Petes2424 gives a good reply why it would be the Bruins adding, even if it's just something like Geekie/Frederic + (Lysell?).

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
A playoff no show with a year left? Returning a longterm solution in net with some of the best numbers in the league?
That guy said in the Swayman thread that Woll is better than Swayman so I think it’s best to ignore him when it comes to this

Strangle

May 4, 2009

Columbus Receives:

Boston Receives:

Toronto Receives:

This cap gymnastics always strikes me as absurd. The CBA should be rewritten

Why can the bruins make a trade to get Marner at a cap hit under $6m, but the leafs can’t do the same for their own player?

It makes no sense.

Leafs trade picks and prospects directly to Columbus to take 25% of Marner’s salary straight up. No need to involve swayman and the bruins.

Can some explain to me why the leafs can’t do that? Aside from it not being in the CBA? It should be

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
As a Leaf fan, I'd be highly opposed to this.

Call me crazy, but I'm just not at all interested in Swayman at $8m+.

The difference betwee him & Woll is $7m today.... $4.3m for the following 3 years.

$4.3m spent on forwards or D, in my view, helps the team more than the difference between Swayman and Woll.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Well, you do have to even out salaries.

I feel like Poitras is too much an add from the Bruins side, but if this were to go down, Swayman is not enough to nab Marner IMO, especially given the impass the Bruins are facing.

I was initially doing Swayman + Frederic + ?.
Marner is great but he’s a coming UFA. Imo the Leafs would need to add a goalie (Woll) too.

Columbus Receives:

Boston Receives:

Toronto Receives:

Marner has trade protection; Swayman doesn’t.

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
Wouldn't trade Swayman for Marner in a million years. 200iq stud goalie vs playoff disappearing softie.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Adding a goalie with significant salary demands and subtracting from up front isn’t making sense for the Leafs

I’m comfortable with the Woll/Stolarz tandem

The trade makes the Leafs worse, no doubt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad