Salary Cap: Marner Deal Discussion Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The closer this gets to July 1st the harder it will be to get this done.

I think there is a eagerness or perhaps curiosity on the Marner side with agent and father involved to simply hear out what other teams might whisper as to Mitch's worth. IMO

With guys like Darren Dreger saying there is 100% OS chatter exists as teams are prepared to explore this would have to peak anyone's curiosity.

Hopefully this doesn't result in an overpayment to avoid it.

June is going to be an interesting month, with hockey insiders proclaiming Marner's deal much like Matthews is going to be a game and market changer.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I truly believe they may be open to the idea of trading him if they can't get him signed by July 1st.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I suspect Marner will at least talk to teams before signing. I would.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
This is just not something I feel many people enjoy dealing with.

Let's hope Point and Rantanen sign first because we seem to get the shitty end of the stick lately.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I really hope not. I don't know how you even win a Marner trade. What could we get back that would be worth that?

Judging on what Oilers got for Hall (can argue back and forth who is a better player) it would likely not be that pretty.

But you would think the low end is 4 1st round picks otherwise they would just let him get offer sheet.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Aho, Point, Rantanen, Laine, Connor, Meier, Tkachuk, haven't signed yet either.

Just calming some waters.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
There will be no trade. Marner will sign with Leafs. No one else in NHL can put the deal the Leafs can on the table including the Habs. Between the AAV and the sponsorships no one else will be close. The AAV is not the important number here. But I can't see the AAV coming below 10-10.5M per. and then another 5M per in sponsors money. If someone else can put a 15M per deal on the table then great have Marner and we will take the 4 1st rounders. But it ain't gonna happen. and whatever Marner's agent says he can't be a baller at 5M per in sponsor money. it has to be Bell and Rogers in that game at that level. and guess who owns MLSE? Get the picture here folks.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This is just not something I feel many people enjoy dealing with.

Let's hope Point and Rantanen sign first because we seem to get the ****ty end of the stick lately.

These players and agents are waiting for Marner to go first, because they know Leafs overpay and raise the bar for everyone to follow as the market is altered as a result.

Its expected that Marner will soon become among the highest priced players in the NHL, and as a result RFA players that scored more than him will have a new comparable for themselves.

It would be silly for Rantanen/Point to sign for $8.5 mil only to watch Marner get $10.5 mil, when it only helps them if he goes first and they follow.

Reactions: nuck

kb

Aug 28, 2009
There will be no trade. Marner will sign with Leafs. No one else in NHL can put the deal the Leafs can on the table including the Habs. Between the AAV and the sponsorships no one else will be close. The AAV is not the important number here. But I can't see the AAV coming below 10-10.5M per. and then another 5M per in sponsors money. If someone else can put a 15M per deal on the table then great have Marner and we will take the 4 1st rounders. But it ain't gonna happen. and whatever Marner's agent says he can't be a baller at 5M per in sponsor money. it has to be Bell and Rogers in that game at that level. and guess who owns MLSE? Get the picture here folks.
If there is a ton of side money, why doesn't he sign for $9-$9.5 million and look like a god?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
June is going to be an interesting month, with hockey insiders proclaiming Marner's deal much like Matthews is going to be a game and market changer.

If Dubas is smart he will wait til Rantanen signs and make Team Marner more realistic.

Reactions: kb

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I would think targeting a RD would be a start. Then see how Panarin might feel about a 416 area code.

I expect KD would go after Panarin hard if Marner were to test the market. That is when the club gets its only real leverage because a possible Panarin signing takes all of Marner's leverage away and leaves him to potentially choose the best offer sheet ot just have his rights dealt. Imagine if no OS comes in or the offers are for less than the Leafs offered or from places he doesn't want to go to. Him getting to RFA also lets the Leafs talk to his replacement. Not every Russian wants to go play for a doormat in NY or Florida. I don't know how reliable it was but I did read that TO was one of the places Panarin would consider playing. Having said that I don't give it better than a 1 chance in 10 that a deal isn't done before July 1st, but it might be in the club's interest to wait for one of the other RFA stars to sign first.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I would think targeting a RD would be a start. Then see how Panarin might feel about a 416 area code.
Panarin probably feels great about our team. It came down to us and Chicago at the time, and he narrowly chose Chicago.

Now, our team is far better than it was, and we've had a streak of signing Russians recently.

Love Mitch, but Panarin and 4 firsts would be too good to pass up.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
These players and agents are waiting for Marner to go first, because they know Leafs overpay and raise the bar for everyone to follow as the market is altered as a result.

Its expected that Marner will soon become among the highest priced players in the NHL, and as a result RFA players that scored more than him will have a new comparable for themselves.

It would be silly for Rantanen/Point to sign for $8.5 mil only to watch Marner get $10.5 mil, when it only helps them if he goes first and they follow.

Do you have a source for this Mess or are you just making it up as you go along?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The closer this gets to July 1st the harder it will be to get this done.

I think there is a eagerness or perhaps curiosity on the Marner side with agent and father involved to simply hear out what other teams might whisper as to Mitch's worth. IMO

With guys like Darren Dreger saying there is 100% OS chatter exists as teams are prepared to explore this would have to peak anyone's curiosity.

Hopefully this doesn't result in an overpayment to avoid it.

Hopefully the Leafs take the same opportunities to kick tires on Mikko Rantanen while they have the chance and check in on Brayden Point while they have the chance. Why not see if you can get a potentially cheaper Marner with way more size and possibly the same point ceiling?

I don’t like the idea of being held hostage by a Marner situation. Leafs should be fully aware of the opportunities they have here instead of panicking.

If Marner is curious what kind of overtures the New York Islanders or another team will make, he should consider the real possibility of ending up there.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
awhi not us?‏ @Account4hockey
FollowFollow @Account4hockey
More
Dreger says on TSN1050 that he expects Marner's camp to take negotiations beyond July 1st. He says he expects the Marner to visit teams starting June 26 in the RFA offersheet interview period. Dreger says the Leafs will have to make an aggressive offer: 10+,10.5+,11+

Is Dreger on the Marner camp payroll?
If Marner is seriously looking for 11+, please trade him now.

I mean, people freaked out on Nylander (Greedlander) for holding out for $6.9 million, and this kid is asking for $11 mil plus possibly? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
More
Dreger says on TSN1050 that he expects Marner's camp to take negotiations beyond July 1st. He says he expects the Marner to visit teams starting June 26 in the RFA offersheet interview period. Dreger says the Leafs will have to make an aggressive offer: 10+,10.5+,11+

Yeah this is something else...

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
More

I mean, people freaked out on Nylander (Greedlander) for holding out for $6.9 million, and this kid is asking for $11 mil plus possibly? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Exactly. Him and daddy can go on their sign me parade. The Leafs need to start planning for option B and C
It is the entitled me, me, me generation though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad