Confirmed Signing with Link: Marlies Sign Alex Nylander (AHL Contract)

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Good and bad singing. Nylander is a great player who has NHL potential. He will live with his brother which is great. But, Toronto has offensive depth.. a lot of it and he strikes me as the kind of guy that will need top 6 time and pp time to shine. Not sure he can get that on a stacked forward squad in Toronto. He will probably tear up AHL.. get called up when injuries happen and get bottom 6 limited minutes and be sent back. Think he would have benefitted going to a team that needs goal scoring.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Assuming the Leafs offered him a decently high AHL salary, this is arguably a better deal for him than a two-way NHL contract if that’s all he was being offered.

No waivers to play on the Marlies and if he gets interest he’s free to sign an NHL deal at any point. So he’s got more control over where he plays.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Good and bad singing. Nylander is a great player who has NHL potential. He will live with his brother which is great. But, Toronto has offensive depth.. a lot of it and he strikes me as the kind of guy that will need top 6 time and pp time to shine. Not sure he can get that on a stacked forward squad in Toronto. He will probably tear up AHL.. get called up when injuries happen and get bottom 6 limited minutes and be sent back. Think he would have benefitted going to a team that needs goal scoring.
Leafs aren’t nearly as deep at forward as previous years . Might depend what happens w Robertson . If he doesnt sign / get traded there might be a spot in the top 9 available. But you’re right wouldn’t make sense in a checking role

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

With it being an AHL deal (at this point), he is stashed on the Marlies and should provide them with veteran offense AHL teams need.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Assuming the Leafs offered him a decently high AHL salary, this is arguably a better deal for him than a two-way NHL contract if that’s all he was being offered.

No waivers to play on the Marlies and if he gets interest he’s free to sign an NHL deal at any point. So he’s got more control over where he plays.
I would imagine he signed with the Marlies specifically in hope to land an NHL contract with the Leafs. Aren't you short on wingers, especially with Robertson situation being up in the air? There is potential for him to grab some games in the NHL if he plays well.

Reactions: kevistar

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I would imagine he signed with the Marlies specifically in hope to land an NHL contract with the Leafs. Aren't you short on wingers, especially with Robertson situation being up in the air? There is potential for him to grab some games in the NHL if he plays well.
It’s an AHL contract, not a 2-way, so couldn’t be called up.
Unless they can rip it up if leafs need him, and make a new 2-way one, not sure how that works.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It’s an AHL contract, not a 2-way, so couldn’t be called up.
Unless they can rip it up if leafs need him, and make a new 2-way one, not sure how that works.
He would obviously need to sign an NHL contract with the Leafs, but this is not a big deal. Leafs still have contract spots to spare. An example from last year, Joel Kiviranta came to the Avs training camp as a PTO. He wasn't given a deal, so he signed an AHL deal with the Colorado Eagles. In November, the Avs wanted to call him up and signed him to an NHL contract. In this case the AHL deal is obviously voided, and replaced with the NHL contract.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
He would obviously need to sign an NHL contract with the Leafs, but this is not a big deal. Leafs still have contract spots to spare. An example from last year, Joel Kiviranta came to the Avs training camp as a PTO. He wasn't given a deal, so he signed an AHL deal with the Colorado Eagles. In November, the Avs wanted to call him up and signed him to an NHL contract. In this case the AHL deal is obviously voided, and replaced with the NHL contract.
Then why not just make it a 2-way contract, if you need to call him up you can.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Then why not just make it a 2-way contract, if you need to call him up you can.
You probably save some money, and a contract spot if something comes up. If Nylander is willing to sign and AHL deal, why not?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Before Michael Bunting broke out with Toronto he scored 10 goals and 13 points in 23 games with the Arizona Coyotees, when then decided to allow him to walk, he was also at a similar age to Alex now.

Alex had a similar run to Bunting's the year before Bunting signed in Toronto.

Alex had 11 goals, 4 assists for 15 points in 26 games, before Columbus decided to allow him to walk.

I wonder if a similar opportunity to the one that was given to Bunting will be presented to Alex.

I wonder if we see Nylander-Tavares-Nylander as a line.

I think Knies is secure with Matthews and Marner baring injury but there is an open spot on that 2nd line

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Before Michael Bunting broke out with Toronto he scored 10 goals and 13 points in 23 games with the Arizona Coyotees, when then decided to allow him to walk, he was also at a similar age to Alex now.

Alex had a similar run to Bunting's the year before Bunting signed in Toronto.

Alex had 11 goals, 4 assists for 15 points in 26 games, before Columbus decided to allow him to walk.

I wonder if a similar opportunity to the one that was given to Bunting will be presented to Alex.

I wonder if we see Nylander-Tavares-Nylander as a line.

I think Knies is secure with Matthews and Marner baring injury but there is an open spot on that 2nd line

Statistically it may be similar, but there is a marked difference in how hard these two play compared to one another. No one has ever accused ANylander of being combative, let alone hard to play against as compared to Bunting who was a prick even before he went to Toronto.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Statistically it may be similar, but there is a marked difference in how hard these two play compared to one another. No one has ever accused ANylander of being combative, let alone hard to play against as compared to Bunting who was a prick even before he went to Toronto.

That might be a good thing, because when Bunting was in Toronto refs targeted him, they would look to make calls on him, they grew to HATE him.

Ad

Ad

Ad