Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
""

It doesn't help us this year, but 19 year olds in the AHL might be in the future.

Between this and NCAA eligibility for CHL players, this could drastically change the CHL landscape
Do they react and increase the import and overage limits? Or do they go in the direction and invest a little more into the Canadian minor-junior system? Or simply increase benefits and incentives for players to stay in the CHL?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Between this and NCAA eligibility for CHL players, this could drastically change the CHL landscape
Do they react and increase the import and overage limits? Or do they go in the direction and invest a little more into the Canadian minor-junior system? Or simply increase benefits and incentives for players to stay in the CHL?
I would guess that it's going to be exceptional status for AHL, not a blanket. First rounders, apply for exception type of thing... the numbers aren't going to be large enough to drastically change CHL numbers... at least IMO.

The NCAA may draw more overagers... that much is for sure. I'm not sure that is a bad thing. These will mostly be undrafted players, so I'm not sure what the numbers are.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Remember when players tried to organize in CHL?

Well, NCAA may just be the ticket they needed a dozen years ago?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
My understanding is that he is at C, the London Knights posted a lineup chart on their Twitter yesterday and it showed Cowan centering Jacob Julien and Cohen Bidgood. It is confusing though as Julien is listed as a C everywhere and played C last year, so I'm not sure if him and Cowan are taking turns rotating. Perhaps someone who actively watches the Knights can clarify this.
FOs are on the OHL stat sheet. Cowan is 5th on the club in faceoffs taken by quite a margin. 31 draws to Julien's 140. Even if he played all 9 games he would still be 5th so it doesn't seem like he is being used as C except when the other guy is tossed.

Reactions: 1specter

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

Would they have the money to compete against a professional men's league or the largest colleges?

My guess is they'll recognize top end talent will be syphoned away earlier. The correct adjustment would be to invest more in the minor leagues. Use them as a source of growth to expand into new markets and opportunities.

Otherwise they're just gonna lose all their good players for no return first chance any of them get.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Cowan will be a winger in the NHL. He plays mostly wing in the OHL. He has some reps at C, but many wingers do.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
FOs are on the OHL stat sheet. Cowan is 5th on the club in faceoffs taken by quite a margin. 31 draws to Julien's 140. Even if he played all 9 games he would still be 5th so it doesn't seem like he is being used as C except when the other guy is tossed.
Good point and thanks for that. That's too bad, I was hoping that'd be a new challenge for him.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Would they have the money to compete against a professional men's league or the largest colleges?

My guess is they'll recognize top end talent will be syphoned away earlier. The correct adjustment would be to invest more in the minor leagues. Use them as a source of growth to expand into new markets and opportunities.

Otherwise they're just gonna lose all their good players for no return first chance any of them get.

On a slightly different viewing ... could the NCAA lose their younger players?
Why go to NCAA to sit on the bench (redshirt) unless your goal is the education, and not the path to the pros?
Could the minor junior leagues lose out because some of those players (Makar) could join a Major junior team and not forfeit NCAA eligibility?
Players at 19 in AHL could also impact both NCAA and Junior leagues.

A changing landscape across North America?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I
Why go to NCAA to sit on the bench (redshirt) unless your goal is the education, and not the path to the pros?
Could the minor junior leagues lose out because some of those players (Makar) could join a Major junior team and not forfeit NCAA eligibility?

I can definitely see Junior A clubs losing some talent along with USHL. These leagues benefit from being the springboard to College but guys like Celebrini and Fantilli must have known they were going to go pro after the draft so did they really want that 1 year of the College experience or were they just actively avoiding the Major Junior grind? What is the lure of the Chicago Steel to Canadian kids?

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

It's probably best if they just let the kids go freely between all markets so they can go to where ever works best for them at any given moment.

Teenagers are a lot more mobile these days and plans change rapidly. The goal is to to give these kids the opportunity to do the best they can in whatever endeavour they chose. Maybe it would attract more players too if they knew it didn't have to come down to a hockey or school decision if they can feasibly do both.

Restrictions on any market will restrict it from growing... that's why they're called restrictions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad