Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I don't know who I had this argument with haha, it might have been you, but to me, size has to do with the weight and height of someone, not just height.

For example, Byfuglien was huge (but not overly tall), and I don't consider Domi small just because he is 5'9.

Regardless, I agree, I think he was listed in the 130s/140s (could be slightly more), so anything he is doing, he is doing likely on pure skill without much of a physical advantage, so it'll be interesting to see him fill out more.
Byfuglien was 6'5, that's pretty damn tall

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Siegel with observations on Cowan during camp. Still some time left to impress but it might be another year before the Cowboy era really kicks off.

The earliest (and I mean earliest) returns suggest he may not be there yet, which isn’t exactly surprising given that Cowan only turned 19 four months ago.

During the first couple days of camp, for instance, Cowan often found himself going head to head with Chris Tanev in drills, the kind of defensive monster he never encountered in junior. Tanev mostly had his way with Cowan, who tried and tried but could not wind his way around or through the new Leafs defenceman.

As Leafs management looked on during an intrasquad scrimmage over the weekend, mind you, Cowan looked just a tad behind the pace. When the puck found his tape, he struggled to make a play before opponents swallowed all his time and space. He was frequently overmatched physically, another non-surprise for a teenager who’s only 5-11 and 185 pounds. Cade Webber, who, to be fair, is a giant at 6-foot-7 and 212 pounds but also not an NHL defenceman, had no trouble pushing Cowan off the puck at one point in the scrimmage.

genk

Nov 15, 2015
Sending Cowan down would be a huge mistake. If the knock against him is his inexperience against seasoned vets, then how it would it possibly help his development by delaying this exposure for a year?

I despise the trope that more time in junior / minors is fine because it helps the player marinate. No. Good players only get better when they’re practicing and playing with better players.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
If the Leafs could figure out the cap and squeeze Cowan in so that he’s with the team practicing, training, and occasionally (or frequently) playing that’d be the sweet spot for him. Right now the only knock against him is a lack of strength and lack of familiarity with full grown men in the NHL. Going back to Junior for a season would solve the former, but not the latter.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If the Leafs could figure out the cap and squeeze Cowan in so that he’s with the team practicing, training, and occasionally (or frequently) playing that’d be the sweet spot for him. Right now the only knock against him is a lack of strength and lack of familiarity with full grown men in the NHL. Going back to Junior for a season would solve the former, but not the latter.

While ideally he'd be in the AHL, I don't see how it's a negative to go back to Junior. He won't be any worse. You can always improve and get stronger.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
While ideally he'd be in the AHL, I don't see how it's a negative to go back to Junior. He won't be any worse. You can always improve and get stronger.

Yeah that's my thoughts too. It's not like it'd be a tragedy if Cowan went back to London. It'd disappoint him but the Leafs are in win now mode and there's a slew of guys ahead of him with more experience and size. As long as he, the Leafs, and London can formulate a plan for him to get away from those "junior habits" he should be fine. Next year when he's grown and put on more muscle he'll have a better shot.

One pre-season game isn't the end all be all but based on what's been observed at practices and last night's display from Pacioretty and Grebenkin the odds seem more likely than not that he's destined for the O.

Reactions: TMLAM34

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Yeah that's my thoughts too. It's not like it'd be a tragedy if Cowan went back to London. It'd disappoint him but the Leafs are in win now mode and there's a slew of guys ahead of him with more experience and size. As long as he, the Leafs, and London can formulate a plan for him to get away from those "junior habits" he should be fine. Next year when he's grown and put on more muscle he'll have a better shot.

One pre-season game isn't the end all be all but based on what's been observed at practices and last night's display from Pacioretty and Grebenkin the odds seem more likely than not that he's destined for the O.
A full year playing C wouldn’t hurt.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I tend to disagree.
He’s doesn't really have anything to work on learning with London.
He’s clearly better than most there and needs to be challenged to develop in a meaningful way this year.
He was one of the leagues best point producers, he won both the regular season and player MVPs, he had a 34 game point streak, and was effective both offensively and defensively.

I mean he may end up back there because our options are limited but it’s a clear disservice to his development imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad