Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I'm not much of a goalie guru, I don't have the eye for position but I guess in limited video footage, I remember Malcolm Subban and Tuuka Rask having some crazy raw / athletic tools that you cannot teach, if you can build upon that with a strong technical base, you have a hell of a goalie.

Subban never seemed to get there, Boston developed the hell out of Rask and got a good goalie.

This kid has potential, the gamble was certainly worth it and unlike him being an NCAA kid, we pretty much have his rights indefinitely so you can kinda stash him there and 2-3 years from now maybe it's a conversation.
The good news is we building a good pipeline of goalies, so there is no need to rush guys. Woll is young, we have Hildeby,Akhtyamov,Peksa all ahead of him. Some of these guys will click when you dont rush them. Goalies take a while.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The good news is we building a good pipeline of goalies, so there is no need to rush guys. Woll is young, we have Hildeby,Akhtyamov,Peksa all ahead of him. Some of these guys will click when you dont rush them. Goalies take a while.

I was hoping Peksa would have done better in the ECHL last year but you can't hit on all of them but yea goaltending is a slow burn and the payoff takes years.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I was hoping Peksa would have done better in the ECHL last year but you can't hit on all of them but yea goaltending is a slow burn and the payoff takes years.
I think the first two will play( Hildeby,Akhtyamov) in the NHL at some point. The other two are question marks as of right now. But you cant play 4 or 5 guys properly so at some point you dump the bottom rungs.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
A bit bummed we lost Cavallin, he showed some promise. Sucks too cause I wanna root for him but he went to the Habs of all f***ing places

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Friedman was raving about the Vancouver goalie coach in his latest 32 thoughts. I hope
The Leafs have a great goalie coach in place who can develop these young guys.

He mentioned that the Canucks goalie coach emphasizes daily drills that has seemed to really help Demko

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Friedman was raving about the Vancouver goalie coach in his latest 32 thoughts. I hope
The Leafs have a great goalie coach in place who can develop these young guys.

He mentioned that the Canucks goalie coach emphasizes daily drills that has seemed to really help Demko

He also said that this style led to injury

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
The Growlers defense was a tire fire, and for some reason we went long periods of time without playing him. Not surprised he didn't fare well. Hoping he gets to play a lot more this season.

Reactions: Frostitute

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
The Growlers defense was a tire fire, and for some reason we went long periods of time without playing him. Not surprised he didn't fare well. Hoping he gets to play a lot more this season.

I'm not sure if someone has the stats, but if I remember correctly...his last 10 games were substantially better than his first 20 or so. It gives hope.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I'm not sure if someone has the stats, but if I remember correctly...his last 10 games were substantially better than his first 20 or so. It gives hope.
He only played in 19 games last year after 49 and 67 the previous two seasons in Russia.

Need to get all three of our young goalies lots of games this season.

Reactions: aingefan

barilko05

People...they're the worst!
Jan 28, 2011
Obviously, Hildebeast has a HUGE advantage because...well, you can't teach size. But let us remember the tale of Garrett Sparks...AHL/ECHL goalie stats must always be taken with a grain of salt...or sometimes just discarded entirely...as it pertains to the show. Also, its going to take a Russian, coming to a new country, new language, customs, etc...time to acclimate. Slow cookin'!

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Obviously, Hildebeast has a HUGE advantage because...well, you can't teach size. But let us remember the tale of Garrett Sparks...AHL/ECHL goalie stats must always be taken with a grain of salt...or sometimes just discarded entirely...as it pertains to the show. Also, its going to take a Russian, coming to a new country, new language, customs, etc...time to acclimate. Slow cookin'!
The problem with Sparks was that he overplayed shots and spent half his time flopping around on the ice. Against low percentage shooters in the AHL he could get away with those flaws but the NHL forwards just chewed him up. That’s why consistency and technique matter.

I don’t see Hildeby having those problems.

Reactions: horner and ACC1224

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Is the prospect tourney gonna be on TV (because I can't find it on my Rogers listings) or on YouTube like it has been some years past? It's a joke that the Leafs wouldn't put it on their website or something actually useful

Reactions: LeafChief

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I will be watching Niemela very closely.
This is a spot where you'd like to see him dominate at his current trajectory,
Was reading some scouting reports on him at PPP Leafs and was somewhat surprised to see alot of people really criticize his defensive game from last year.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I will be watching Niemela very closely.
This is a spot where you'd like to see him dominate at his current trajectory,
Was reading some scouting reports on him at PPP Leafs and was somewhat surprised to see alot of people really criticize his defensive game from last year.
I think if you want a clear outline of Niemela's game, follow Mark Rakham on twitter. He writes for Leafs hot stove and watches every Marlies game. PPP is on the extreme pessimestic side even when it's not deserved.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I think if you want a clear outline of Niemela's game, follow Mark Rakham on twitter. He writes for Leafs hot stove and watches every Marlies game. PPP is on the extreme pessimestic side even when it's not deserved.
Niemela projects as a 3rd pairing dman. Some wanted more.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004

If memory serves correct he was dealing with some adjustments to living in Canada/home sick so they used him sparingly to allow him to get acclimated. Interested to see if he builds on his season.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
No X access version of Rookie Lineup:

FORWARDS
Roni Hirvonen, (Toronto, AHL)
Fraser Minten, (Saskatoon, WHL)
Maxim Muranov (Calgary, WHL)
Robert Mastrosimone (Toronto, AHL)
Ty Voit (Toronto, AHL)
Easton Cowan (London, OHL)
Jacob Quillan (Quinnipiac, NCAA)
Braeden Kressler (Ottawa, OHL)
Marshall Finnie (Edmonton, WHL)
Matthew Barbolini (Miami Ohio, NCAA)
Nikita Grebenkin (Magnitogorsk, KHL)
Sam McCue (Owen Sound, OHL)
Sam Stevens (Boston University, NCAA)
Brandon Lisowsky (Saskatoon, WHL)
Miroslav Holinka (HC Ocelari Trinec, Czechia)

DEFENCEMEN
Ben Danford (Oshawa, OHL)
Topi Niemela (Toronto, AHL)
Cade Webber (Boston University, NCAA)
Noah Chadwick (Lethbridge, WHL)
Ryan McCleary (Swift Current, WHL)
Nathan Mayes (Spokane, WHL)
Rhett Parsons (Medicine Hat, WHL)
Chas Sharpe (Mississauga, OHL)

GOALTENDERS
Dennis Hildeby (Toronto, AHL)
Vyacheslav Peksa (Newfoundland, ECHL)
Artur Akhtyamov (Ak Bars Kazan, KHL)

Definitely lots to watch and look forward to.
Besides the obvious Cowan and Minten show, I want to see Grebenkin and Holinka, Sam McCue’s work ethic, Ty Voit and Quillan are potential future NHLers imo

On D Is Topi going to have a resurgence, new players Danford and Webber, Chadwick is turning heads, what’s up with that.

All very good goalie prospects, Hildeby probably closest to NHL games, but Peska and Akhtyamov are both coming off of positive seasons.

There are some unknown names I want to get to know. I hope this is streamed somewhere.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada

FORWARDS
Ty Voit (Toronto, AHL)

DEFENCEMEN

GOALTENDERS

Besides the obvious Cowan and Minten show, I want to see Grebenkin and Holinka, Sam McCue’s work ethic, Ty Voit and Quillan are potential future NHLers imo

On D Is Topi going to have a resurgence, new players Danford and Webber, Chadwick is turning heads, what’s up with that.

All very good goalie prospects, Hildeby probably closest to NHL games, but Peska and Akhtyamov are both coming off of positive seasons.

There are some unknown names I want to get to know. I hope this is streamed somewhere.
Topi looks like the only skater on the roster who was a full time Marlie last year.

Usually guys with his resume aren't in these games at this point in their career. Might be nothing, but might also be a sign the club doesn't see him as nearly NHL ready as some fans do.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Topi looks like the only skater on the roster who was a full time Marlie last year.

Usually guys with his resume aren't in these games at this point in their career. Might be nothing, but might also be a sign the club doesn't see him as nearly NHL ready as some fans do.

Hildeby is there too. Not a skater, but I wouldn't read too much into this.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Hildeby is there too. Not a skater, but I wouldn't read too much into this.
Yeah, pretty common for the goalies though. Hildeby doesn't have a whole lot of GP under his belt the last few years either.

Like I said, may be nothing, but it is something to keep an eye on. Might be something they want to see him work on or could be as innocent as wanting a right shot puck mover there to go with some of the big body LD they have in the lineup in Webber, Chadwick, and Mayes (Webber-Niemela looks like a good/likely pair for the Marlies).

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

FORWARDS
Ty Voit (Toronto, AHL)

DEFENCEMEN

GOALTENDERS

Chadwick-Danford
Webber-Niemela
Mayes-Mcleary

Seems like a pretty good group of defenseman for this quick little event.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad