Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Think of the long term benefits of growing their own Dmen and prospects for your future NHL team.

Instead of trading away draft pick for rental players at the TD that have short-term gain and long term pain..

When you have a lot of highend talent on big contracts these types of drafted and developed coming in on ELC contracts to offset contracts in a Cap World.

Once they commited to the core four they should have drafted nothing but RHD and goalies until they hit on a star at both positions.

All the patch jobs over the years were costly and ineffective. Not to mention the players they targeted were mostly inconsequential past their best before dates. That includes both free agents and trades

If they put a random poster on this board in charge of the team six yesrs ago and said they could do everything to screw up the team, with the exception of trading one of the star players, they wouldn't have done a much worse job than the Leafs have here.

Reactions: notdoneyet

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
If they put a random poster on this board in charge of the team six yesrs ago and said they could do everything to screw up the team, with the exception of trading one of the star players, they wouldn't have done a much worse job than the Leafs have here.
I think that you underestimate HF posters. A lot of us could REALLY mess up the team!

Reactions: freshwind

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Once they commited to the core four they should have drafted nothing but RHD and goalies until they hit on a star at both positions.

All the patch jobs over the years were costly and ineffective. Not to mention the players they targeted were mostly inconsequential past their best before dates. That includes both free agents and trades

That is why some diehard Leaf fans were so outspoken when Leafs kept drafting little smurfs year after year Bracco, Dzerikels, Timoshov, Semyon Der-Arguchintsev, Mac Hollowell etc etc Drafting all these small undersized players wasting pick after pick

Where are all those Smurfs now?

Then we have Lou Lam for 2 drafts .. He orchestrates and drafts Auston Matthews, and RHD Timothy Liljegren and Goalie Josepth Woll.

Guess GM Lou Lam was following your advice as these 3 drafted players are part of Leafs present with their #1C and #1G and RHD. :wg:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Looks physically mature for an 18.5 year old.

Won't have marner's boyish looks at 25 ...
He does look young but didn't realize he was 18. Guess he went in the past draft?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I like the Sandin pick.

He's turned into a pretty exciting prospect. Cowan

Reactions: hockeynorth

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He does look young but didn't realize he was 18. Guess he went in the past draft?
1722618898481.png

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I like the Sandin pick.

He's turned into a pretty exciting prospect. Cowan
Ben Danford and Easton Cowan are now part of the Treliving legacy in Toronto.

Might have a real sleeper pick on our hands though.

Maple Leafs prospect Noah Chadwick looking to defy the odds, make Team Canada​

Chadwick, was the Leafs' 6th round pick from the 2023 draft. The towering defender comes in at 6'4, and is known for being a jack of all trades type of d-man for the WHL's Lethbridge Hurricanes. Chadwick put up an impressive 56 points in 66 games for the Hurricanes last season, which led his team in points for all defenceman.

Much to the surprise of many, likely including Chadwick himself, he was selected alongside fellow Maple Leafs prospect Easton Cowan for the World Junior Summer Showcase for Team Canada. The Saskatoon native will surely bring everything he has to this summer showcase, as his goal for the coming season will be to make the Canadian 2025 IIHF World Junior squad, which will be held in Ottawa Ontario, December 26th 2024 - January 5th 2025.​
1722619414996.png

Source: TheHockeyNews
'The More You Say Something, The More You Believe It': Maple Leafs Prospect Noah Chadwick Ready to Impress at Team Canada's World Junior Summer Showcase

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
My off-season prediction for the three kids competing for a spot:

Cowan - 9 game trial out of camp, back to London + WJC
Minten - AHL for majority of the season, cup of coffee down the stretch
Grebyonkin - NHL regular (possibly a brief AHL stint to start)

I think realistically only one makes it full-time, if any.

IMO it will come down to Cowan vs Grebyonkin. I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about Greb as the lead dog to win a spot, because I think he's more NHL ready than anyone else in the pool - he's coming off a 90GP season (reg + playoffs) in the 2nd best league in the world with production that suggests an immediate translation to decent middle six NHL production.

I have a hard time believing he's coming overseas with the intent of playing in the AHL, especially after initially asking for more money than Yurov to re-up with Metallurg. Both Minten and Cowan stand to benefit from another development season outside of the NHL, less so for Greb.

horner

May 22, 2007

Chadwick, was the Leafs' 6th round pick from the 2023 draft. The towering defender comes in at 6'4, and is known for being a jack of all trades type of d-man for the WHL's Lethbridge Hurricanes. Chadwick put up an impressive 56 points in 66 games for the Hurricanes last season, which led his team in points for all defenceman.

Much to the surprise of many, likely including Chadwick himself, he was selected alongside fellow Maple Leafs prospect Easton Cowan for the World Junior Summer Showcase for Team Canada. The Saskatoon native will surely bring everything he has to this summer showcase, as his goal for the coming season will be to make the Canadian 2025 IIHF World Junior squad, which will be held in Ottawa Ontario, December 26th 2024 - January 5th 2025.​

View attachment 898785

'The More You Say Something, The More You Believe It': Maple Leafs Prospect Noah Chadwick Ready to Impress at Team Canada's World Junior Summer Showcase
It would be amazing to see both of these players play.
This is growing the sport ???

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
My off-season prediction for the three kids competing for a spot:

Cowan - 9 game trial out of camp, back to London + WJC
Minten - AHL for majority of the season, cup of coffee down the stretch
Grebyonkin - NHL regular (possibly a brief AHL stint to start)

I think realistically only one makes it full-time, if any.

IMO it will come down to Cowan vs Grebyonkin. I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about Greb as the lead dog to win a spot, because I think he's more NHL ready than anyone else in the pool - he's coming off a 90GP season (reg + playoffs) in the 2nd best league in the world with production that suggests an immediate translation to decent middle six NHL production.

I have a hard time believing he's coming overseas with the intent of playing in the AHL, especially after initially asking for more money than Yurov to re-up with Metallurg. Both Minten and Cowan stand to benefit from another development season outside of the NHL, less so for Greb.
I think you are correct on all three counts.

Cowen 9 game look see, then decide.

Minten would need a very strong camp to break camp with the Leafs. I also think he is earmarked for the AHL.

Grebyonkin unless he has a strong camp (which he may not with the culture shock et all) he may go to the AHL while Cowen does his 9 games, then get called up regardless of how Cowen fairs.

Just a thought.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

It is during Trelivings legacy.

Not sure who I'd assign most credit to?

Do we not credit Clark's work in Toronto?
But we do credit Leach's work in Dallas?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
That is why some diehard Leaf fans were so outspoken when Leafs kept drafting little smurfs year after year Bracco, Dzerikels, Timoshov, Semyon Der-Arguchintsev, Mac Hollowell etc etc Drafting all these small undersized players wasting pick after pick

Where are all those Smurfs now?

Then we have Lou Lam for 2 drafts .. He orchestrates and drafts Auston Matthews, and RHD Timothy Liljegren and Goalie Josepth Woll.

Guess GM Lou Lam was following your advice as these 3 drafted players are part of Leafs present with their #1C and #1G and RHD. :wg:
I dare someone to find me a dumber post on this forum.

"Orchestrates and drafts Auston Matthews".

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
To help alleviate some of the concern about Voit ...

From his draft here are all the players with any NHL experience:

View attachment 898963

11 first rounders have yet to play a NHL game. Some likely are college players, but I'm too lazy to check them all out.

Voit was a later round pick but the hope is he gives you a productive AHL season this year to show he's on track, ditto Hirvonen.

Reactions: Frostitute

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Yeah, both have to be healthy to really see what they are.

Voit lost a year, Hirvonen lost half a season

They'd be nice to haves ... but aren't being relied on for anything.
They will be in tough to ever make the Leafs. Tre didn't draft them and likes size.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
They will be in tough to ever make the Leafs. Tre didn't draft them and likes size.
I see Voit in tougher. I get the impression he has to crack the top six to make a team. Hirvonen intrigues me. Maybe a Hoglander type? He will only have value if he can play a role in the bottom six at league minimum for a few years. Minten, Tverberg and Quillan too.

We talk about trading Kampf and Jarnkrok. These guys making it is how we maximize that swap. Maybe Holmberg too if he can't see stick in the top nine.

Reactions: hockeynorth

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I see Voit in tougher. I get the impression he has to crack the top six to make a team. Hirvonen intrigues me. Maybe a Hoglander type? He will only have value if he can play a role in the bottom six at league minimum for a few years. Minten, Tverberg and Quillan too.

We talk about trading Kampf and Jarnkrok. These guys making it is how we maximize that swap. Maybe Holmberg too if he can't see stick in the top nine.

I think if Quillan is good defensively and can PK, he has a chance. It is so hard to find real centres.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I think if Quillan is good defensively and can PK, he has a chance. It is so hard to find real centres.
Yeah, I think we might be sleeping on him because he could max out as a bottom six/fourth line centre.

His scouting reports and pedigree seem to line up with exactly what we need. High compete level, high hockey IQ, strong defensive acumen, size and speed.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yeah, I think we might be sleeping on him because he could max out as a bottom six/fourth line centre.

His scouting reports and pedigree seem to line up with exactly what we need. High compete level, high hockey IQ, strong defensive acumen, size and speed.

Quillan
Grebyonkin
Cowan

Are all guys I look at in the main camp.

I know people put Minten in that group but I honestly think you're going to get a better finished product by putting him at the 1C with the Marlies and giving him good wingers to get better offensively.

If only say, Cowan made it, the below is a pretty good group;

Nylander-Minten-Steeves would be great wingers for him to start.
Abrusezze-Shaw-Grebyonkin
Hirvonen-Quillan-Tverberg

Nice top 9

Reactions: LeafChief

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: