Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
What's a good idea for a Marlies lineup?

Abrusezze-Minten-Steeves
Hirvonen-Shaw-Grebyonkin
Voit-Quillan-Tverberg
Clifford-Kressler-Pare

Grebyonkin, Cowan and Quillan are all candidates to make big club, apparently Quillan's college stats aren't far off Bozak's

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

horner

May 22, 2007

July 26-August 3 at USA Hockey Arena in Plymouth, Michigan.

Is it oon tsn or youtube

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019

Abrusezze-Minten-Steeves
Hirvonen-Shaw-Grebyonkin
Voit-Quillan-Tverberg
Clifford-Kressler-Pare

Grebyonkin, Cowan and Quillan are all candidates to make big club, apparently Quillan's college stats aren't far off Bozak's
We may actually have a number of good young forward prospects, as well as a few dmen and goalies, to follow on the Marlies this year. Not bad for a team ranked so low in terms of quality / depth of prospects.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Abrusezze-Minten-Steeves
Hirvonen-Shaw-Grebyonkin
Voit-Quillan-Tverberg
Clifford-Kressler-Pare

Pare is a C... so we'll see where he ends up.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
We may actually have a number of good young forward prospects, as well as a few dmen and goalies, to follow on the Marlies this year. Not bad for a team ranked so low in terms of quality / depth of prospects.

The intriguing thing about prospect development is random guys can come through the system and develop into decent players while the names you count on fall by the wayside.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Agreed.
Ryan Tverberg might have been in front of the line for promotion if he hadn’t got hurt down the stretch.
He’s had time to recover and had last year to adjust to the length of the pro year.
Not a sleeper, definitely worth watching.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
""

unknown at this time... nothing anywhere about it.

Would be perfect if he could become a very good 3rd or 4th line C for as his floor and maybe a 2nd line C as his ceiling being a right shot C. I think I read he was around 50% on faceoffs as well in those games. Him and Jecho could be a pretty good duo on Edmonton if they plan on playing the Czechs together.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I wonder if Gruden is second guessing taking the Marlies job after a 5 year run in the NHL including a year with the record breaking 2022 Boston Bruins?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I wonder if Gruden is second guessing taking the Marlies job after a 5 year run in the NHL including a year with the record breaking 2022 Boston Bruins?
Is there something public suggesting this is the case? It's probably one of the higher playing AHL jobs, and a way to work his way back to the NHL.

He was in consideration for the Senators coaching job, which might suggest he has an out clause for a NHL head coaching job.. or at least an understanding. Leafs haven't held people back in the past.

Reactions: uncleben

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Is there something public suggesting this is the case? It's probably one of the higher playing AHL jobs, and a way to work his way back to the NHL.

He was in consideration for the Senators coaching job, which might suggest he has an out clause for a NHL head coaching job.. or at least an understanding. Leafs haven't held people back in the past.
Just me spitballing.

IMO being an assistant coach with the best team in hockey was a faster track to a head coaching gig than coaching a middle of the pack AHL team.

I could be wrong but I would rather be an assistant with a good NHL team then being in the AHL.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004

Abrusezze-Minten-Steeves
Hirvonen-Shaw-Grebyonkin
Voit-Quillan-Tverberg
Clifford-Kressler-Pare

Don't believe Clifford is under contract any longer. After the way the season ended, I'm not sure he'll be back either (IIRC, he started something in the handshake line when Marlies were eliminated). Shaw probably takes the top C and is given captaincy of the team.

I think Kressler is probably Cyclone (ECHL) bound to start.

Mastrosimone, if signed, will likely play and Barbolini's may slot into the 4th line. Of course, it's early and more bodies will be added. Marlies will probably sign a handful of guys around camp to fill in ranks on their roster and on the Cyclones. I hope they bring back Solow. They don't have a ton of forward injury depth right now under either NHL or AHL contract.

Defense is an interesting group. Strong depth there. Not to mention if Timmins gets waived + sent down (although I think he stays on as a 7th).

Rifai - Myers
Mermis - Mattinen
Webber - Niemela
Kokkonen - Villeneuve

Just me spitballing.

IMO being an assistant coach with the best team in hockey was a faster track to a head coaching gig than coaching a middle of the pack AHL team.

I could be wrong but I would rather be an assistant with a good NHL team then being in the AHL.

Well, he should have a better group to work with this year, barring major injury.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Don't believe Clifford is under contract any longer. After the way the season ended, I'm not sure he'll be back either (IIRC, he started something in the handshake line when Marlies were eliminated). Shaw probably takes the top C and is given captaincy of the team.

I think Kressler is probably Cyclone (ECHL) bound to start.

Mastrosimone, if signed, will likely play and Barbolini's may slot into the 4th line. Of course, it's early and more bodies will be added. Marlies will probably sign a handful of guys around camp to fill in ranks on their roster and on the Cyclones. I hope they bring back Solow. They don't have a ton of forward injury depth right now under either NHL or AHL contract.

Defense is an interesting group. Strong depth there. Not to mention if Timmins gets waived + sent down (although I think he stays on as a 7th).

Rifai - Myers
Mermis - Mattinen
Webber - Niemela
Kokkonen - Villeneuve

Well, he should have a better group to work with this year, barring major injury.

I think they did end up signing Mastrosimone to an AHL deal.

I also wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Tierney or Alex Nylander, at worst it's good AHL depth.

Reactions: Tarmore

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
1721859818548.png

Transition’s where McCleary’s impact is most felt, and it’s through activation and deception rather than explosiveness. He deceives forecheckers with his eyes, looks to pass through pressure to create space up the ice, and accelerates out of his passes to join the rush.

Last edited by a moderator:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
View attachment 896883

Transition’s where McCleary’s impact is most felt, and it’s through activation and deception rather than explosiveness. He deceives forecheckers with his eyes, looks to pass through pressure to create space up the ice, and accelerates out of his passes to join the rush.

One would hope he'd give Leafs a chance to match any offer he got for a NHL contract. It isn't like you can be creative with a ELSC.

Reactions: aingefan

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Not sure how McCleary didn’t get an ELC from someone; big rhd who produced in junior. Glad to have him around but AHL minutes are gonna be hard to come by this year.

Reactions: uncleben

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad