Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
You were on the money. They hired Mark Leach from the Stars.

I had Dallas as my best drafting team since 2010 outside the lottery. I'll post my spreadsheet and methodology at some point, but I focused on NHL players picked outside the draft lottery, using a minimum games played as a qualifier, and with extra value for players taken lower down in the draft.

Leach came on board at the same time as McDonnell did from Detroit so it looks like he was invaluable to Nil.

The Stars have hired Joe McDonnell as their new director of amateur scouting and Mark Leach as one of the head scouts, Stars GM Jim Nill confirmed Saturday. Both worked under Nill in the Detroit Red Wings system, but both were without contracts and free to sign with any team.
McDonnell has been a scout with the Red Wings since 1995 and director of amateur scouting there since 2003. Leach has worked with the Red Wings since 1998. Leach is based on the East Coast, while Stars scout Dennis Holland is based in the West for the Stars. They will be the top scouts reporting to McDonnell, Nill said.

Last edited:

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
I had Dallas as my best drafting team since 2010 outside the lottery. I'll post my spreadsheet and methodology at some point, but I focused on NHL players picked outside the draft lottery, using a minimum games played as a qualifier, and with extra value for players taken lower down in the draft.

Leach came on board at the same time as McDonnell did from Detroit so it looks like he was invaluable to Nil.

Pretty good track record... working for the Red Wings and then the Stars.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I know I spoke about Jarmo Kekelainen as a neat option but good god it's hard not to be excited about this addition.

We need to get this guy some picks.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I know I spoke about Jarmo Kekelainen as a neat option but good god it's hard not to be excited about this addition.

We need to get this guy some picks.
We could still use a head of European scouting. Leach might try to bring some guys with him though.

Reactions: horner

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
This is where you exploit your big budget off the ice, get some good scouts.
Scouts yes. Get as many of the best guys as you can. I'm less in favor of adding a bunch of high level advisor and consultant types though. We had that during the Burke era and there seemed to be diminishing returns in terms of the amount of successful moves vs the number of executives in the GM suite.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm surprised the Leafs didn't sign Ryan McCleary yet in some form. I think he'd be at the very least a good AHL contract bet.

I had read some tweets about him...I'd definitely want to bring him into the organization.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Reactions: ULF_55

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
when does that start?

July 26-August 3 at USA Hockey Arena in Plymouth, Michigan.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

July 26-August 3 at USA Hockey Arena in Plymouth, Michigan.

appreciate that

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008

I think you are right they should get the best scouts that money can buy.

I think they should also create a program that develops scouts then they would have lots of good to great scouts developed the way they would like.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
shhhh the NHL might put a cap on that too if they find out the leafs are using it to a disproportionate advantage
Yes, like our Leafs have now won so many cups that the NHL has to put a stop to this disproportionate advantage. :naughty:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
They have only won 13.
Yes, I know, I was talking about in the modern era after expansion. Zero cups and finals appearances since 1967.

I personally witnessed the 1962, 1963, 1964, and our last Stanley Cup win in 1967.

Cassell

Apr 28, 2024

This might be a dumb question (with perhaps an obvious answer that I’m simply not prescient enough to glean) but what exactly would stop the Leafs from expending the capital to simply purchase or acquire the ISS outright?

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
This might be a dumb question (with perhaps an obvious answer that I’m simply not prescient enough to glean) but what exactly would stop the Leafs from expending the capital to simply purchase or acquire the ISS outright?
MLSE is loaded and space tourism is an interesting concept but I think launch costs need to come down further for this to be a viable plan.

It would make it more efficient to launch Robidas Islanders into the sun, I suppose.

Cassell

Apr 28, 2024
MLSE is loaded and space tourism is an interesting concept but I think launch costs need to come down further for this to be a viable plan.

It would make it more efficient to launch Robidas Islanders into the sun, I suppose.

Lol touché. Now let’s assume I was talking about the International Scouting Service.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad