Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If we wanted to keep him, we would have kept him. They didn't see enough to warrant extending him. He's a nice AHL piece, but not a NHL piece, so better to move on. That's how projects work...or don't. Same with Ho Sang.... didn't see enough, good luck somewhere else. Bellows improved some, but really doesn't have NHL level skating. Long stretches of nothing too... I think two stretches of six games with no points.

Wouldn’t have cost the organization anything to sign him to a rich AAAA deal and finish what they started.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Wouldn’t have cost the organization anything to sign him to a rich AAAA deal and finish what they started.
They did finish what they started though. Try him out, to see if he had NHL quality. They didn't think he did... so they didn't extend him. Heck, they didn't even give him a contract until the last minute when they needed to last year.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
What are the marlies lines looking like right now? I’ve got:

Steeves - Minten - Grebyonkin

Abruzzese - Quillan - Tverberg

Hirvonen - Pare - Voit

Clifford - Kressler - X

Webber - Niemala

Mermis - Myers

Kokkonen - Villeneuve

Chadwick/Mattinen/Rifai

Murray/Hidelby/Akhtiamov
Chadwick can't play with the Marlies this year. Still had junior eligibility

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019
Yeah, doesn't sound like they want him to be a defensive center.

Not sure he has it in him to go all offense though.

By the way, he'll turn 20 tomorrow.

6'2", 194 lb.
They asked him to concentrate on his defensive game last year.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
The invite has to be great for his confidence.

Sleeper agent.
They have an exhibition showcase game in Windsor, against Sweden, in a couple weeks. I'm hoping he plays. I've got tickets

seems about right. bunch of guys who could play games but realistically not many (if any) guys who are gonna turn out to be stars.
A product of attempting to contend. Cyclical is all

Reactions: kerk

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
If Danford develops into a 2nd pair RHD the draft was a success.
Same guy was probably handing out a D- this point last year after the Cowan choice.

One thing that I have noticed with Knies, Cowan and now Danford is compete level and second half stats are weighed more heavily in the final drafting decision.
I have heard Danford had an amazing playoff run and although not known as a scorer he potted 4 goals in 21 playoff game vs 1 goal in 64 regular season games.

This seems to be the case here too.
They have to be because these guys are growing and developing as the season goes. You are projecting boys who will be men in 2 years when they mature.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Danford being a first rounder puts him as more likely to play. I have him above Niemela and any other dman we have right now.
I don't have him there yet because until he shows something at the higher levels, I can't put him ahead of Niemela. Niemela played top minutes in a pro league against men in Finland, was named best d man at the WJC and has shown well in the AHL

Reactions: Tarmore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad