Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If he can skate up and down the ice he should be able to land a spot on the team.

It isn't like the team is loaded past 6th. forward.

There's more talent than you think

Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Knies, McMann, Tavares, Robertson, Jarnkrok and I'm assuming they bring in another guy who can play center and I think they will try to bring Domi back, Cowan's been awesome

Obviously things can change, Marner trade etc but there's actually some good competition up front this year

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
There's more talent than you think

Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Knies, McMann, Tavares, Robertson, Jarnkrok and I'm assuming they bring in another guy who can play center and I think they will try to bring Domi back, Cowan's been awesome

Obviously things can change, Marner trade etc but there's actually some good competition up front this year

I don't think there is more talent than I think ... otherwise someone anyone would step up some year in the playoffs besides the usual suspects, Matthews, Nylander, marner, Tavares, Rielly.

After that bunch of no-shows.
I know it is about blaming the top players but ...

1719200980688.png

They need to force some youngsters into the line-up, someone has to step up and it is unlikely last year retreads are the answer.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I don't think there is more talent than I think ... otherwise someone anyone would step up some year in the playoffs besides the usual suspects, Matthews, Nylander, marner, Tavares, Rielly.

After that bunch of no-shows.
I know it is about blaming the top players but ...

View attachment 886101

They need to force some youngsters into the line-up, someone has to step up and it is unlikely last year retreads are the answer.

They don't need to force them ULF, we've got kids like Cowan, Grebyonkin and Minten coming who look like they may be ready to force the issue

I also thought Knies had a good playoffs, he didn't put up a ton of points but he didn't take any **** and he looked like a big strong power forward and McMann looked solid before he got hurt

The young guys actually look like they may make a difference

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
They don't need to force them ULF, we've got kids like Cowan, Grebyonkin and Minten coming who look like they may be ready to force the issue

I also thought Knies had a good playoffs, he didn't put up a ton of points but he didn't take any **** and he looked like a big strong power forward and McMann looked solid before he got hurt

The young guys actually look like they may make a difference

Knies looked like he wasn't awed by the experience at all.

Not sure there were any better takeaways than Knies.

Grebyonkin running through, although playing injured, a complete championship in the KHL to win it all is a huge positive. It might not be the biggest hockey stage, but is near the top. That is a good indicator he might not slink off and hide away in the tough matches.

Cowan, his team came up short, but he too went through the pressure cooker of the OHL and then Memorial Cup. Cowan took home the best hardware in his league, not just for performance and effort, but accomplishment. Real results not some "advanced stats potential" results.

They need these players in the line-up, and they need to let them make mistakes.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Knies looked like he wasn't awed by the experience at all.

Not sure there were any better takeaways than Knies.

Grebyonkin running through, although playing injured, a complete championship in the KHL to win it all is a huge positive. It might not be the biggest hockey stage, but is near the top. That is a good indicator he might not slink off and hide away in the tough matches.

Cowan, his team came up short, but he too went through the pressure cooker of the OHL and then Memorial Cup. Cowan took home the best hardware in his league, not just for performance and effort, but accomplishment. Real results not some "advanced stats potential" results.

They need these players in the line-up, and they need to let them make mistakes.

Veterans make mistakes, kids make mistakes.

I'd rather the young man that will be in the organization long term make it.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

1719332734976.png

The Toronto Maple Leafs have added some depth to their prospect pool by signing a handful of players, including 6'4 Jacob Frasca, to AHL contracts.

Matt Anderson, Jacob Frasca, Mathieu Gosselin and Marko Sikic will be joining the Toronto Marlies for the upcoming season on one-year deals.

Anderson, 24, spent the majority of last season with the Toledo Walleye in the ECHL, but also suited up for three games with the Marlies where he had three assists. Not the biggest defenseman at 6', 194 pounds, Anderson registered 34 points in 68 games with the Walleye. Gosselin, who is also 25, completed his fifth and final season in the NCAA last season with Clarkson University where he was captain. A small, skillful forward, the 5'10, 168-pound forward had 44 goals and 73 assists in 160 games over his NCAA career.

Marko Sikic finished his OHL career this past season before playing a handful of games in the ECHL for the Newfoundland Growlers and Norfold Admirals. At 6'3 and 183 pounds, Sikic certainly adds some height to the Marlies forward group to go along with his offensive touch. He finished his OHL career with 147 points in 252 games, including career highs in assists and points this past season with the Sarnia Sting.

At 6'4 and 215 pounds, 21-year-old Jacob Frasca is someone many Leaf fans had their eye on this past season after he attended the Leafs' development camp and played in the prospect tournament in 2023. He finished his OHL career this past season with the Sault Saint Marie Greyhounds where he posted 21 points in 28 games.​

Although each of them is eligible to sign NHL deals with other NHL clubs, having them begin on AHL deals with the Marlies allows the Leafs to monitor their progress and development closely. It also gives them the inside track to signing them to NHL contracts if they feel the players have earned it.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
This guy seems to be trending in the right direction.

We do have a few interesting goalie prospects in the pipeline.

Hopefully Woll can stay healthy and one of these other guys can figure it out in the next couple of years.

Might make some sense to sign a veteran backup for 2 years who can still play a lot and then see what happens by then.

I'd love a top tier goalie but I think the pickings are pretty slim this off season unless you make a huge gamble and trade for one.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I really hope the Leafs don't block Hildeby and AA playing time by signing a vet 3rd stringer. Marlies should be interesting this year with a healthy Voit, Tverberg and Hirvonen, and then adding Mattinen, Quillan and Webber, and maybe even Minten and Greb.
Leafs 3rd string goalies (Or beyond 3rd string) have played in 22, 18, and 20 games the previous 3 years.

With Woll being a massive injury risk the team needs an experienced 3rd string goalie unless you think Hildeby is ready for NHL games.

I liked Jones's contributions last season and enjoyed the comfort of having an experienced 3rd string goalie.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I really hope the Leafs don't block Hildeby and AA playing time by signing a vet 3rd stringer. Marlies should be interesting this year with a healthy Voit, Tverberg and Hirvonen, and then adding Mattinen, Quillan and Webber, and maybe even Minten and Greb.
Jones played FIVE games for the Marlies last year.

Hildeby played 41.

This doesn't seem to be a risk for this organization at all.

Reactions: arso40

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs 3rd string goalies (Or beyond 3rd string) have played in 22, 18, and 20 games the previous 3 years.

With Woll being a massive injury risk the team needs an experienced 3rd string goalie unless you think Hildeby is ready for NHL games.

I liked Jones's contributions last season and enjoyed the comfort of having an experienced 3rd string goalie.
1719421288484.png

The 2020 fourth-round pick of the Leafs has spent the last four seasons bouncing between the KHL, VHL and MHL in AK Bars' system, but appears to be ready to join the Leafs organization. At 6'1 and 168 pounds, the 22-year-old can certainly add some size to his frame, but the lack of it has yet to affect his play.

In his first extended stint in the KHL, Akhtyamov played in 17 games for Ak Bars where he went 6-7-0 but posted an astounding .921 save percentage and 2.51 GAA.​

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Hildeby should be ready for a stint and basically be the 3rd stringer. He's turning 23 years old soon. He has plenty of pro experience.

Jones played FIVE games for the Marlies last year.

Hildeby played 41.

This doesn't seem to be a risk for this organization at all.

He only played that much because Samsonov and /or Woll were out of action for long periods of time. My biggest issue is that they played Jones even in a back to back instead of testing Hildeby and giving him NHL games.

A 3rd stringer vet like Jones will create the same issue. If Woll and the backup stay healthy and they bring in a vet 3rd stringer, Hildeby and AA won't get the starts they probably should get either.

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40 and aingefan

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Hildeby should be ready for a stint and basically be the 3rd stringer. He's turning 23 years old soon. He has plenty of pro experience.

He only played that much because Samsonov and /or Woll were out of action for long periods of time. My biggest issue is that they played Jones even in a back to back instead of testing Hildeby and giving him NHL games.

A 3rd stringer vet like Jones will create the same issue. If Woll and the backup stay healthy and they bring in a vet 3rd stringer, Hildeby and AA won't get the starts they probably should get either.
I think playing Jones last year, was the right thing to do, and keep Hildeby focused on the Marlies. You are probably right though, that it's time to use Hildeby as our 3rd stringer.

Reactions: arso40 and aingefan

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I’d shell out $6 million a year for Roy. Would be nice to have a true elite top pairing with him and Rielly.

EDIT: wow I didn’t even realize I posted this on the wrong thread hours ago. Point still stands though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad