Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Hutson is lighter than our Robertson which = being tossed around and vunerable to injuries.
Robertson gets injured most of the times because he doesn't know enough to slow down and stop skating himself into trouble. I saw him do it with the Petes and I've seen him do it with the Marlies/Leafs.

He needs to play more conservatively. Wickenheiser has said the same

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I know nothing about the player, but hes listed as 5'10.

Do you really think 1-2 inches in height makes a difference as a hockey player? Arguably the best dman in the world (Makar) is listed at 5'11.

I've seen as low as 5'8 and 5'9 in his draft year. I don't know how much I believe he hit 5'10.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Robertson gets injured most of the times because he doesn't know enough to slow down and stop skating himself into trouble. I saw him do it with the Petes and I've seen him do it with the Marlies/Leafs.

He needs to play more conservatively. Wickenheiser has said the same
Agreed, BUT
Robertson's last injury was a defender one handing him away from him.
That was just a common battle drill that happens 50 times a game.
That is what concerns me the most with Robertson was the latest injury came from a play that was innocent looking and not reckless.

Have to remember that he is still just 21 years old.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Good luck to 5th rounder Hudson Malinoski after his injury jumping off his roof into snow at 13 years old.

Minutes after Fitzpatrick received the imaging from those scans, she quite literally interrupted Dr. Lissa Peeling, a respected neurosurgeon at Royal University Hospital, in the middle of an operation.

Peeling noticed a “pattern of bleeding” in the images that didn’t sit right. Malinoski had suffered an aneurysm on initial contact.

Peeling understood immediately that Malinoski had an injury to a blood vessel in what she calls a “critical location.”

Malinoski had suffered much more than a concussion. The diagnosis they received still causes Tanya’s voice to grow quiet: a torn vertebral artery — which supplies blood to the brain — in his neck.

A stroke or another more harmful aneurysm was likely imminent if Hudson’s injury was untreated for much longer.

Time was of the essence. A coronary stent insertion is generally the preferred course of treatment for this injury, and it was initially considered. In this procedure, an expandable mesh coil is placed into the artery to prevent it from narrowing.

But with a stent, Hudson would not be able to play contact sports again.

“I don’t feel like we were telling (Hudson) how bad it was or how serious it was. Because we were so scared, and we didn’t really want to scare him,” Tanya says.
Eventually, the doctors proposed a plan: They would clamp Hudson’s artery and then re-route his blood flow, leaving him with just one vertebral artery. It’s a surgery that had never been performed on a child in Saskatchewan.

“The decision-making was the hardest part: Where to place the device and what device to use,” Peeling says.

The doctors ended up accessing the brain from, of all places, his right hip area. They used a microvascular plug that both Peeling and Kelly had previously used in different areas of the body but never the brain.

Hours after the surgery, Hudson awoke. He was OK.

“There’s never a certainty when it comes to brain surgery,” Peeling says. “We always worry patients may wake up with a new neurological deficit.”

“Vascular neurosurgery is inherently kind of what I refer to as a high-stakes poker game,” Peeling says. “And there’s an added element of stress when you’re treating someone so young, and with so much life to live.”

The family may have been shielding themselves from an uncomfortable reality: With almost an entire year of development lost, combined with his diminutive size, the talented kid was passed over in the WHL draft. Missing his shot to compete in Western Canada’s major junior hockey league quietly seemed to sink the idea of a career in professional hockey.

And even when Hudson hit a growth spurt when he was 16, eventually hitting 6-1, he still played triple-A hockey until he was 18, a rarity among players who want to turn pro.

“In Saskatchewan, typically, every kid goes through the WHL,” Tanya says. “Being the smallest kid and then growing only at grade 11, too, there have just been so many roadblocks.”

“I learned how to play small,” Hudson says of his development. “And then when I got my size, that helped me out a lot.”

After a move from triple-A to the Alberta Junior A league’s Brooks Bandits, he played his best hockey in the playoffs en route to a win in the Centennial Cup, Canada’s Junior A national championship. Malinoski finished second in scoring with four goals and 10 points in six Centennial Cup games.

Bandits head coach Ryan Papaioannou says Malinoski’s game is built on “offensive flair.”

“What makes him different from other players is his deceptive qualities,” he says.

Those qualities led the Maple Leafs’ Western Canada amateur scouts Darren Ritchie and Garth Malarchuk to argue passionately in scouting meetings in favor of selecting Malinoski in the NHL Draft in June. Once the Leafs started asking for in-depth medical reports in a way other NHL teams did not, it became clear they believed in his potential.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
1690644646840.png

Roni’s father has sadly passed away.

49 is too damn young.

Condolences to his entire family. :(

weems

Jul 3, 2008
View attachment 732339

Salavat General Director Rinat Bashirov with a little update about prospect Rodion Amirov

Very encouraging to hear that things are trending positively and his overall longterm health is the most important thing right now.

Sucks for the Leafs as he was pretty much a lock to be a useful two way forward imo and would probably have a good chance to crack next years lineup.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Very encouraging to hear that things are trending positively and his overall longterm health is the most important thing right now.

Sucks for the Leafs as he was pretty much a lock to be a useful two way forward imo and would probably have a good chance to crack next years lineup.

I think he'd be pencilled into this year's line up if nothing ever happened.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Toronto Maple Leafs Re-Sign Nicholas Abruzzese

July 31, 2023 at 9:33 am CDT

The Toronto Maple Leafs have re-signed forward Nicholas Abruzzese to a two-year, two-way contract extension, per a team announcement Monday morning. The deal’s average annual value is $775K, and PuckPedia confirms the full breakdown of his contract:

2023-24: $775K NHL salary, $175K minors salary
2024-25: $775K NHL salary, $250K minors salary, $350K guaranteed salary

This is Abruzzese’s second NHL contract after signing a two-year entry-level pact with the Leafs in March last year. The 24-year-old was a restricted free agent, Toronto’s last remaining unsigned player of the type.

After spending two fruitful collegiate campaigns with Harvard, Abruzzese had a solid first full pro season last year. Toronto’s fourth-round pick in 2019 has also gotten a cup of coffee in the NHL over the previous year and a half, posting a goal and two assists in 11 games (including two assists in two games to finish the 2022-23 campaign). His AHL stats were strong, posting 16 goals and 48 points in 69 games with the Toronto Marlies before going on a tear in the postseason, when he registered seven points in seven outings.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario

Toronto Maple Leafs Re-Sign Nicholas Abruzzese

July 31, 2023 at 9:33 am CDT

The Toronto Maple Leafs have re-signed forward Nicholas Abruzzese to a two-year, two-way contract extension, per a team announcement Monday morning. The deal’s average annual value is $775K, and PuckPedia confirms the full breakdown of his contract:

2023-24: $775K NHL salary, $175K minors salary
2024-25: $775K NHL salary, $250K minors salary, $350K guaranteed salary

This is Abruzzese’s second NHL contract after signing a two-year entry-level pact with the Leafs in March last year. The 24-year-old was a restricted free agent, Toronto’s last remaining unsigned player of the type.

After spending two fruitful collegiate campaigns with Harvard, Abruzzese had a solid first full pro season last year. Toronto’s fourth-round pick in 2019 has also gotten a cup of coffee in the NHL over the previous year and a half, posting a goal and two assists in 11 games (including two assists in two games to finish the 2022-23 campaign). His AHL stats were strong, posting 16 goals and 48 points in 69 games with the Toronto Marlies before going on a tear in the postseason, when he registered seven points in seven outings.
Good middle sixer depth signing. Injury call up or If they need to trade a Lafferty for reasons, he can step in. They can always bulk up again at the trade deadline

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Good middle sixer depth signing. Injury call up or If they need to trade a Lafferty for reasons, he can step in. They can always bulk up again at the trade deadline
With the LTIR contracts of Muzzin and Murray their will not be a lot of bulking up at the trade deadline the way LTIR impact your salary cap and how you accumulate cap space.

I do agree Abruzzese is someone that can be recalled as a depth injury replacement player if needed.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Really?

I see no NHL qualities in Abruzzese. Nice kind, seems smart and well spoken.

This is what happens when you can't draft for a decade. Nothing slow cooking in the minors with any real ability to move the needle.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Really?

This is what happens when you can't draft for a decade. Nothing slow cooking in the minors with any real ability to move the needle.
Same here.

I understand the need for low priced players who can play on the big club when needed but I’ve never seen anything from Abruzzese that would indicate that he’s NHL material in any way.

Clearly not good enough for top 9 and not able to play a 4th line role.

I see him as a useful Marlie and not much else. If it wasn’t for our pitiful lack of pipeline and future picks, I don’t see him having anything more than an AHL contract.

Would love for him to become something more, but I’m not holding my breath for it.

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Our cupboards are pretty bare but NA had a decent rookie season with the Marlies, has some NHL experience and can slide in on the 4th line and not look out of place.
2 points in 2 NHL games and can play PP2.

7 playoff points with the Marlies in 7 games.
He is a warm body or a trade chip capable of playing some NHL minutes.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Our cupboards are most definitely bare, we haven't been judicious with our draft capitol the last 3 years. The premise was when you are close you have to go for it. I understand that reasoning but we were never close.
At any rate, if we have no up and comers (definitely no superstars) in the mix, we can still fill out a roster with free agents and waiver wire players. These available players will already be NHL ready having played on the show and come cheap. There are at least a half a dozen that fit the bill but we need 50 man roster space and cap room to do it.

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
Really?

One more year to watch him for me. Most forwards coming out of college to the AHL can't produce 48 points in 69 games their first year. Its a pretty big leap and not the same as a Junior player who has been there since age 20. If he has an NHL future the growth has to be pretty fast but it still might be there.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Iceman

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Maybe I was watching a different player but he hasn’t shown he can be a good middle sixer. Maybe some more time in the AHL changes that but as off right now I don’t think he can step in.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Really?

Abruzzeze can think the game at an NHL level which is half the battle. The only question is whether he can build up enough strength to compete for pucks. He was a solid middle round draft pick.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Abruzzese missed a year of hockey and development due to Covid, in 2020/21. He put up points at Harvard at a rate greater than fan favourite Kerfoot. Funny thing, he's a lot like Kerfoot in many ways. Abruzzese has some NHL qualities to his game, and some things that need work. I'd wait and see what he does this year, before deciding what his potential is. A Kerfoot like player, on an ELC isn't a bad thing... if he becomes that.

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
Agreed, BUT
Robertson's last injury was a defender one handing him away from him.
That was just a common battle drill that happens 50 times a game.
That is what concerns me the most with Robertson was the latest injury came from a play that was innocent looking and not reckless.

Have to remember that he is still just 21 years old.
I think it was more not respecting the defenders strength. A brain fart because he could have slipped the contact against an AHLer or Junior player. I remember the hits that injured Matthews his first couple of years and I think those worried me more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad